Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

Thanks for the feedback NEWBIE CRUISER GA... Glad that the shoe holder worked well for you. Especially with two teenage boys..

Oh yes.. Carnival will not let you check in a case of water, they require you lug it with you. So if I were on Carnival and really wanted to bring a case of water, I would put it in a rolling duffle bag. Security sure is checking closely aren't they.

Also, it is nice that the room steward is keeping their eyes on things. That is kind of strange but again about the power strip and extension cord, they are just looking out to keep things safe.

Glad you had a fun time!

So, you leave this with your luggage and its delivered to your room? Or do you carry it on?

Yes I do. However on Carnival, they require that you carry this on the ship yourself. So for this reason if I were you I would get a rolling duffle bag and put my soda in it because carrying it could get very tiring...

When we travel on Princess and RCCL, we just check it in with our luggage and it is delivered to the room.

Happy Cruising!!

• 4 weeks later...
Loved the packing list....but REALLY LOVED rumrunners!!!!

What a great invention!!!

Thanks for passing the info on...I just ordered a set!!! LOL

Ordered a pack of rumrunners for the upcoming cruise. But have already found they are also great just for carrying water in your pocket or bag.

thanks for the tips!

--Sandi

• 4 weeks later...

I just went through all 22 pages of responses in one go. Maybe a bad idea...I am now stressing out BIG TIME!!! We leave for the cruise next week, and I'm still torn as to what to bring/not bring. The over-the door shoe compartment sounds great. We love our wine, and we're kind of picky about it. I'm trying to find the best way to bring more than the 1 allowed bottle. I've read that they're really catching onto the Rum Runner idea...how else can I do this??? ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

I just went through all 22 pages of responses in one go. Maybe a bad idea...I am now stressing out BIG TIME!!! We leave for the cruise next week, and I'm still torn as to what to bring/not bring. The over-the door shoe compartment sounds great. We love our wine, and we're kind of picky about it. I'm trying to find the best way to bring more than the 1 allowed bottle. I've read that they're really catching onto the Rum Runner idea...how else can I do this??? ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

If you use rum runners, pack in your check luggage. You might even pack the bottles in you checked luggage. You just have to pack it well to prevent breakage and use zip locs for possible loose tops etc. Don't try and carry on any odther then the one bottle allowed.

If you use rum runners, pack in your check luggage. You might even pack the bottles in you checked luggage. You just have to pack it well to prevent breakage and use zip locs for possible loose tops etc. Don't try and carry on any odther then the one bottle allowed.

Thanks for the tips, scapel. This may be a stupid question, but here goes....do they x-ray scan the check luggage? Can they tell if there are bottles in there? Or do they only know if they physically go through your luggage? Also...is there a "prime time" to check in?? Meaning, if I check in during the "busy time" is there a lesser chance of our luggage being checked?? Again, may be stupid questions, but you never know unless you ask!

Thanks for the tips, scapel. This may be a stupid question, but here goes....do they x-ray scan the check luggage? Can they tell if there are bottles in there? Or do they only know if they physically go through your luggage? Also...is there a "prime time" to check in?? Meaning, if I check in during the "busy time" is there a lesser chance of our luggage being checked?? Again, may be stupid questions, but you never know unless you ask!

These are very good questions, not stupid at all.

On a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas out of L.A in February 2009,

one of my bags did not arrive to my stateroom and my friend said he found his down on the loading deck one of the ship. I went down and saw my luggage. I went to grab it when a security person stated that the luggage had to be checked. It might have a dangerous item in it harmful to the ship, like an Iron.

My luggage was not locked and they could have gone into if they wished, but apparently they were not prepared to invade that bad.

I then told them there was nothing in the luggage that was harmful to the ship. I did have a bottle of Gin in it but did not admit that. That would only be harmful to me, and not the ship. I told the agent that I was irate and wanted to speak to her supervisor. I had a suite on the ship and that may be why they allowed me to go with my luggage and the Gin. I'm not sure.

I heard one man say: " Oh, just take the booze out of the suitcase and let me have my cltohes" This was my first time after 35 cruises to ever have this sort of thing happen. I think they did run those suitcases through x-ray. Had the Gin been in a rum runner it would not have showed on the x-ray. This was the first cruise for the MOS out of LA down to the Mexican reviera after she had just completed haer Horn South America cruise. Maybe they were trying to set a precedent.

My last two cruises were the Silver Whisper and the Silver Shadow and your booze of choice is furnished. Kind of nice but expensive. I still like the Millennium cabins better.

Great list...I have just a few things to add:

Little packs of kleenex

Comb

Brush

Tweezers

Eye Glasses

Sunglasses

Playing cards

Tide 2 Go pen

Post It note pad

Windbreaker

and pre-addressed labels for postcards

Our friends just poured their wine into Rum Runner bags and then put a diaper around the rum runner and put it in a larger ziplock. Worked great.

Have a good time...

Thanks, Janet! I guess Im just nervous that the Rum Runner might explode...but I guess with a high-quality absorbent diaper, theres nothing to worry about LOL!!!!! Of course as always, I have left my planning and packing to the last minute, and we are 3 days from our trip. Do any stores carry the rum runner? Should I try a out-doorsy store?

I've been reading some of the pages with various tips on here. LOVED them. Most of them I was aware of. Would add insect repellent to the list. Have cruised several times in the past and have one coming in September. At one port we were the most popular people because we had the repellent. Everyone was our friend! lol

The list was great some good ideas there for me ..iv'e been buying stuff since January although not going till Sept:D i have the cases in the bedroom & just add stuff , i always do it even though we are campers with our own old camper van :confused:.. but it's our first cruise & i would rather take too many clothes etc & not use them as not taken something & wished i had ..wer'e not flying so it doesn't matter & going to use the bags that have the air sucked out for the stuff that doesn't crease ..but my little list for things i would never have thought of is growing all the time :)

what cruise are you taking.... ours is in Sept too. Baltic & TA . back to back.

These extensive lists are very good for helping the newbie think of all the situations they may encounter so they aren't caught unprepared. My suggestion is to use these lists as a starting point and pare down, accordign to your own needs and style.

• 2 weeks later...
The lists are awesome! I'm so glad people take the time to post their thoughts & ideas to help others. By the time December 31 gets here, I hope to be an expert at all of this thanks to ya'll :)

Yes by looking at the lists you can decide what you will need for yourself and then go from there. Have a great time... NYE how fun for you!!

I used to be a huge overpacker - for anything, not just a cruise. Then a friend told me something her dad always said: "All you need are your tickets and your money." I decided that was pretty true, although I would add passport, Rx eyeglasses and Rx medicine to the list. Now I don't worry nearly as much as I used to about forgetting something and travel much lighter.

Although I do bring my nice shearling/leather house slippers. It's one of my favorite travel indulgences to be able to wear my comfy slippers around my cabin or hotel room. After all, it's a cruise ship, not the wilderness, right? Traveling light does not have to mean roughing it. :)

Thanks for all 23 pages of tips! To cut down on packing, I plan to use the laundromat on the 12-day Princess cruise I've booked for May, 2012. Does anyone have experience with doing laundry on board? Are there many machines/are they likely to be available? How much per load, etc.? Thanks in advance.