HAL's share program for solo cruisers?

amenuensis

From HAL WEBSITE:

"Single guests who agree to share a stateroom with another non-smoking guest of the same sex pay only the per-person, double-occupancy rate. (If we can't find a partner for you, you cruise solo at the agreed-upon double-occupancy fare.)"

QUESTION: This means if they don't find a partner for you, you still get to pay as if you were sharing, right? Has anyone had any experience with this? I am asking because I'm arranging a family reunion cruise to Alaska in July/August 2005 (Zaandam), so far have 5 staterooms full, father's cousin who is 70-ish just called me from Canada and he really wants to join us but he's on a pension and can only afford to pay if he shares the cabin with someone. His wife doesn't want to go. He's willing to share with a total stranger. I told him I'd find out what the deal was. If it's true that if HAL fails to find a partner you get the room at the lower rate, than that would be ideal. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I travel alone and usually just book the least-expensive inside room. Sharing with a stranger can be stressful and I think paying the single supplement is well worth it. On some cruises, the single supplement can be quite low.

advice to you, is to shop around. I sailed solo(in my own cabin) in June and August, and I was able to find a rate LOWER than HAL wanted to charge me to share with another person.

The problem with the guaranteed share is that it is only for certain categories of staterooms ... i.e., they must be the larger ones in each category. Also, guaranteed share does not work well if you are a smoker, because the stateroom will be considered a non-smoking stateroom ... i.e., if the partner found to share with you is a non-smoker, then you're stuck. Their preferences prevail.

Like ExaltHim mentioned, you can actually have your own ... smaller ... stateroom and it could work out costing either the same or slightly more than the guaranteed share works out. Holland America is more reasonable in their single supplements than many other lines.

But, yes ... your assumptions are correct. If they don't find a partner for him, he sails at one-half of the double occupancy rate and has the larger, nicer cabin to himself.

Also, I could be wrong about this ... but it would seem to me that most people looking for shares are female. Men don't seem to cruise solo anywhere near as much as women do. So, there probably is not as much demand for share cabins for males traveling alone. So he might actually make out on the guaranteed share program in that they probably won't be able to find a share for him and he'll get the cabin all to himself.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I travel alone and usually just book the least-expensive inside room. Sharing with a stranger can be stressful and I think paying the single supplement is well worth it. On some cruises, the single supplement can be quite low.

HAL is one of the best lines in terms of single supplement and you can really get some good deals.

I'm with you. I've heard of some nightmarish experiences with the single share ... though I've heard of some good ones too.

When I've got a couple of thousand dollars tied up in a vacation, I'd rather not chance having the cabinmate from hell louse it up for me. I'd much prefer my own stateroom even if it means paying a few dollars more. And, with HAL, it usually doesn't cost that much more to have the smallest stateroom in a given category as opposed to the larger ones you must book under single share.

Blue skies ...

--rita

When I've got a couple of thousand dollars tied up in a vacation, I'd rather not chance having the cabinmate from hell louse it up for me. I'd much prefer my own stateroom even if it means paying a few dollars more. And, with HAL, it usually doesn't cost that much more to have the smallest stateroom in a given category as opposed to the larger ones you must book under single share.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My sentiments exactly.

Rita...I agree...I believe there is a lower percentage of male solo travelers.

However, on my HAL Alaska cruise, I met a dear man(another solo traveler, we had a great table of solos...anyway) that was on the share program, and he said NEVER AGAIN. I am with you, in your thinking, that I have spent XX amount of dollars on this vacation, and I don't want to risk it being messed up...it is worth the extra supplement to me. In 2004 I found very good solo supp with HAL. On my Maasdam, I lucked out and paid the same as a double occupancy rate, and on the Veendam, my rate was about 125% which I thought was excellent for Alaska.

Marie

I sail with a group but get my own cabin. The single supplement on HAL isn't all that bad, but I do understand about being on a pension. Check around, you may be able to come up with a price for an inside cabin for your dad's cousin that he can afford. I usually book category K, inside cabin on the Main Deck. Good luck and enjoy your wonderful cruise.

My sentiments exactly.

Rita...I agree...I believe there is a lower percentage of male solo travelers.

However, on my HAL Alaska cruise, I met a dear man(another solo traveler, we had a great table of solos...anyway) that was on the share program, and he said NEVER AGAIN.

That's been my experience too. I did one solo share and while it was on a HAL ship, it was not through HAL. I was part of a writer's conference and we found our own cabinmates via a special website.

I had originally booked my own cabin, but another person on the bulletin board had lost their cabinmate and was gonna have to cancel. I felt bad for her and offered to share. She knew up front that I was a smoker and that I liked to enjoy a cigarette before turning in. She was fine with it ... UNTIL we got onboard. The first night I went to light up, she asked me if "I would mind" not smoking while she was in the room. Of course, I accommodated her. I was gonna be spending seven days in this inside cabin with her and I would rather they be seven pleasant ones. But at that moment I said "never again."

I'm not out to start a smoking war here, but I personally enjoy a cigarette at certain times. Before bedtime is one of them. It was a royal pain in the you know what to have to throw on some clothes so that I could go up to the Lido deck every time I wanted to have a cigarette either before bed or during the night.

I, too, got a 125% rate on my b2b cruise last August and I got to have the cabin all to myself. Sure it was an inside and sure it was on the small side. But at least I could have my privacy and enjoy a cigarette whenever I wanted to. To me, that's well worth the extra 25%.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Since the gentleman may need to go share or not at all I'll try and make the argument for the guaranteed share.

I've done guaranteed share twice---on a 33-day and a 34-day share. I'm booked to do it again next year on a 35-day cruise. That length is a much bigger gamble than a 7-day cruise! I would expect that anyone should be able to deal even with a bad situation for seven days if the alternative were no cruise at all.

I had a roomie on both of my cruises, and couldn't have been happier. Each woman was considerate that she was sharing space with a stranger; we communicated to figure out such things as storage, quiet, TV/radio, tieing up the bathroom, etc. Talking to each other is a key.

It would be awful if "Oscar Madison" was sharing with "Felix Unger", but that is rarely the case. Most HAL guests are mature adults respectful of others.

I would prefer to pick my cabin and have it all to myself. I would also prefer that I not pay a single supplement---especially on a long (read:expensive) cruise. Can't have it both ways.

If the choice comes down to room with a stranger or stay home I say "Hello, stranger! My name's...."

Well, Dad's cousin Stewart is an easy-going man and he says he can get along with everyone. So we are going to try this route. He'll have plenty of relatives on board so he can hide out in our rooms if he's fed up with his roommate. We'll keep him happy. Thanks for all the input.

Unfortunately, HAL tells me the Zaandam is all out of Share cabins for the inside category, so Stewart will have to either pay the higher fare to go solo or just not go at all. Anybody out there want to share a cabin with Stewart, let me know! Zaandam July 30 Inside passage.

I usually book with Christopher, hence we don't have to worry about a stranger. When I cruise alone, however -- as is the case this coming Feb -- I always book with the single supplement for privacy's sake. Again, I book a J on the Lower Prom deck (on S & R ships) ... in Feb I'll be in a J on main deck on the Oosterdam.

I've done a guranteed share on HAL twice. First time I lucked out and had my own cabin. This last time only made it the first night with the cabin mate from you know where.

I didn't know if I would be sharing a cabin until i checked in. We talked briefly before the lifeboat drill and that was it. When I returned to the cabin after dinner and the show (probably 9:30 pm) she was in bed. Tripped over her clothes and shoes. Made my way to bed and had trouble sleeping (tossing and turning). Well that disturbed her. She got up and went into the bathroom. About 1am I had to use the facilities and guess what? She was still in the bathroom. So I threw some clothes on and went up the the next deck to use the publlic facilities. Same thing happen at 3am, but this time I was in tears at the front desk asking to get off the ship in the morning. Unfortunately it was a sea day, so not such luck, but I could see the guest relations manager in the morning. So 8am I was back at the front desk and it cost me $150 to get an inside cabin of my own.

In the future, I'll pass up a cruise if I have to share a cabin with a stranger. I learned the hard way.

I've done a guranteed share on HAL twice. First time I lucked out and had my own cabin. This last time only made it the first night with the cabin mate from you know where.

I didn't know if I would be sharing a cabin until i checked in. We talked briefly before the lifeboat drill and that was it. When I returned to the cabin after dinner and the show (probably 9:30 pm) she was in bed. Tripped over her clothes and shoes. Made my way to bed and had trouble sleeping (tossing and turning). Well that disturbed her. She got up and went into the bathroom. About 1am I had to use the facilities and guess what? She was still in the bathroom. So I threw some clothes on and went up the the next deck to use the publlic facilities. Same thing happen at 3am' date=' but this time I was in tears at the front desk asking to get off the ship in the morning. Unfortunately it was a sea day, so not such luck, but I could see the guest relations manager in the morning. So 8am I was back at the front desk and it cost me $150 to get an inside cabin of my own.

In the future, I'll pass up a cruise if I have to share a cabin with a stranger. I learned the hard way.[/quote']

I'm not saying it was planned that way, but I have wondered what would happen in such a situation.

Another problem which has always kept me paying to have a room of my own is that I am a very restless sleeper. I'm told that I talk in my sleep, walk in my sleep, and I know that I'm often up much earlier (and asleep much earlier) than most people. I may even snore if I get the sniffles. I will turn on a reading light if I really wake up.

So if I'm the roommate from hell, and my angelic roomie begs to move, would I also pay the single supplement?

I'm not saying it was planned that way' date=' but I have wondered what would happen in such a situation.

Another problem which has always kept me paying to have a room of my own is that I am a very restless sleeper. I'm told that I talk in my sleep, walk in my sleep, and I know that I'm often up much earlier (and asleep much earlier) than most people. I may even snore if I get the sniffles. I will turn on a reading light if I really wake up.

So if I'm the roommate from hell, and my angelic roomie begs to move, would I also pay the single supplement?[/color']

Don't feel bad. Those are my problems as well ... and also ... plain and simple, I snore. I also wake up in the middle of the night dying for a cigarette. Since the roommate I had on the one cruise decided that she didn't want me smoking in the cabin, this meant that she had to put up with me getting up in the middle of the night ... and rustling around to try and find my clothes in the dark so that I could go up to the Lido deck for a cigarette. I'm sure this annoyed her.

So, I realize that I'm not the best roommate in the world either and that's why I prefer to just pay the single supplement and have my own cabin.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My TA came up with a single price for Stewart that was acceptable so he's going to come after all. I forgot to ask her what category it was.

Believe me, he'll be happier that way. Like I said, HAL is pretty reasonable with their single supplements. In fact, he's probably not paying much more than he would in the larger guaranteed share cabin because those cabins are the larger ones in each category.

Hope he, and the rest of you, have a great cruise!

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't know from personal experience, but I have heard from others that if someone wants out of the guaranteed share they have to pay, but the one left behind doesn't. In a way it sounds fair, because why should someone be forced to pay extra when they're not backing out of the deal.

But I've also heard stories (totally unconfirmed by me) that people have been known to make a game of it and try to drive the roomie out so they can get the room to themselves for free.

Rumor has it that this is tracked and you can only pull this stunt once.

But I've also heard stories (totally unconfirmed by me) that people have been known to make a game of it and try to drive the roomie out so they can get the room to themselves for free.

Rumor has it that this is tracked and you can only pull this stunt once.

Wow! Guess I just don't have a devious enough mind. I would have never even considered that!

What a rotten trick ... but I guess some people are not above it. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have had three "share" experiences when not travelling with friends.

Carnival used to offer a similar program years ago, and for my first share I was partnered up with another male of similar age, and we got along well, had similar sleeping, and waking habits so it worked out.

On my first HAL share on the Zaandam (March 2003) I did not have a roommate and even got upgraded from an inside to an outside. This past summer I had a share on the Zuiderdam. At check in I was told that I would have a roommate. In the cabin there were two separate dining room cards - however, the "mystery roommate never showed, and I had the cabin to myself. Again, the upgrade fairy was shining on me - I was bumped from a Category K to an outside - H or HH. Again it worked out well for me. However, I was speaking to someone else on the sailing, He was about 25 and paired with a gentleman in his 80's.

I have to say though that I do enjoy the privacy, and next time would probably book as a single as opposed to a share.

Cheers Robert

I think I would consider sharing if it were someone from Cruise Critic and we had a chance to e-mail back and forth to see if we were compatible.

I am just glad that HALs single supplement is so reasonable. I get sticker shock whenever I price other lines single rates!

I am just glad that HALs single supplement is so reasonable. I get sticker shock whenever I price other lines single rates!

The one thing that I simply am too dense to understand is why on earth some of these cruiselines don't just set a couple of cabins aside and literally "halve" them. By that I mean, slice them in half and add a small bathroom for each. Each cabin would be only large enough for a single bed, a small writing desk, etc. Then they could be denoted as "singles" cabins. Of course, there would be a limited number of them, so singles would have to book early ... but by using these cabins, the single would pay exactly one-half of the double occupancy rate for two people in a standard cabin.

I really can't believe such cabins would not be snapped up quickly, and it would eliminate the cruiseline's need to even bother with single share programs and the problems that often result when two non-compatible people are paired.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The one thing that I simply am too dense to understand is why on earth some of these cruiselines don't just set a couple of cabins aside and literally "halve" them. By that I mean, slice them in half and add a small bathroom for each. Each cabin would be only large enough for a single bed, a small writing desk, etc. Then they could be denoted as "singles" cabins. Of course, there would be a limited number of them, so singles would have to book early ... but by using these cabins, the single would pay exactly one-half of the double occupancy rate for two people in a standard cabin.--rita
If only it worked that way!

Once upon a time there was such a thing as "single" cabins. They were smaller than the double occupance cabins, but larger than 1/2 the size. Obviously, choice of location was limited.

Trouble was that the cost was a great deal more than 1/2! When you did the math oftentimes the price was the same as single share---without the choice!

Archived