RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

One time when we sailed to Rome RIL picked us up at the port, we then toured Rome and they left us off at the ship in the same day. Saw a lot. Any fur with rIL is worth the money. And I don't work for RIL. I've used them several times and hopefully will again soon.

As mentioned before, one definitely needs a guide for the Vatican. We had Sarah with RIL and she was fabulous. She whizzed us around the many groups that were there and really took her time explaining everything we needed to know. It was a great investment and I can't imagine ever going there without a guide.

The rest of the sites are pretty easy to navigate on one's own.

Shelly:)

We also used RIL in Rome, picked us up at the Ship.... Saw so much, they arranged for a guide at the Vatican and were waiting for us after our Vatican your was done.

Also arranged for a delightful lunch when we needed a break!

Would absolutely use them again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How essential is having a phone? We weren't planning on using ours at all. We are packing it in our luggage and for getting about it. Karen

We did bring an international cell phone with us on our Med cruise and found a good use for us when our credit card company declined a charge(we had told them we were going overseas) and were able to immediately contact them to find out what the problem was.......

Our 2nd trip we needed to make an emergency call home and it was nice being able to do it.....we also used it when we lost contact with our guide in Israel....

But it is NOT a necessity...just a convenience.....

How essential is having a phone? We weren't planning on using ours at all. We are packing it in our luggage and for getting about it. Karen

In the last 5 years we have been out of the US for over 8 months, in total. We have taken our phones every time, and never turned them on. Not once.

We have also taken our tablets. We have had free internet access for over 90% of that time out of country with no issues. While we are retired (wife only 3 years ago) we still do a lot of business via internet and e mail. And the tablets were excellent for that.

As to "emergencies at home", I understand the concern, but realistically, you are thousands of miles away, and if you don't find out for a few hours, has that changed the emergency at home? What could you do? We have gone through the passing of 3 of our parents (FIL passed away while we were out of the country) in these five years, and illnesses in our families. DW was the main caretaker for her Mother during this time as well, but others covered while we were out of the country.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We found it useful to have our cellphones. We used them to contact our RIL drivers when we were finished at a particular site. We were never under any time pressure to meet them at X time at Y place.

We had such great experiences with Rome in Limo 2 years ago on our transatlantic cruise we had our son & daughter-in-law use them on their honeymoon cruise. Just finished booking a tour of Herculaneum and the Amalfi coast for our cruise this year. Really looking forward to it. Jany & the drivers make it a magical experience.

I guess my question is do I HAVE to have a phone for RIL? It would involve changing our contract with Verizon and I would rather not. I understand the convenience but is it necessary? Thanks, Karen

We used their services three times on our last visit, as mentioned above, never turned on our phone. We have two trips booked with them for June. Not planning on turning on phone.

I guess my question is do I HAVE to have a phone for RIL? It would involve changing our contract with Verizon and I would rather not. I understand the convenience but is it necessary? Thanks, Karen

We never needed a phone for RIL, it is NOT necessary at all.

No need for a phone. RIL meet you right from the ship, our driver was a little late (or rather we were early) one of the other drivers called to check where he was. When he arrived it was a totally amazing day. He actually gave us a phone to call him on when we were done at the Coliseum.

He was a great guide taking us to a lively place for lunch and calling first as we were limited on time.

The guide in the Vatican, Maximo was worth every penny as we would never have seen all that we did had we been on our own, he really brought it to life.

We used Rome in Limo several times and loved them. A couple times our driver gave us a cell phone and told us to call him when we were ready. This came in handy because the exit he told us to use in the Roman Forum had been closed because there was a demonstration. Ususally, the drivers park the car and tell you to meet them back at a specific, easy to find, location.

The only reason we used a guide at the Vatican was that I was afraid of lines. RIL recommended we go Tuesday afternoon when we asked the best day to go pre-cruise. There were very few people in line. Anyway, our guide, Massimo (sp?) was fantastic. He was always pointing our the hidden meaning of objects. He engaged my kids. The kids thought the day was fantastic. Did we need a guide? Maybe, not, but it was well worth the money.

We just arrived back home from a cruise to the Mediterranian and were in Civitavecchia and because of a short day in port did not want to get into Rome on Palm Sunday . After some fast emails to Jany we decided on a tour to the medieval towns of Sutri and Capranica . Through their special website it was easy to get a group of 8 together , we had a marvelous day with our driver/guide Stefani who had all kinds of valuable information took us to some wonderful places where a large bus could never get to .

The vehicle a Mercedes Van was great for the 8 of us , everything went like clockwork and we were still better of moneywise than any of the shorter tours in a large bus with the cruise company . This was our 4th time with RIL and we can recommend it to everyone , , never had one problem .

Any questions , Jany is the best one to help you .:D:D

Just back from a 3 generation family trip on Ventura. We used Romeinlimo for trips to Florence and Rome and would really recommend them.

Elisabetta in Florence met us at the cruise terminal, and filled us in on the history and background of Tuscany as we drove to Pisa. Then onto Florence where she had taken note of our individual interests (eg a keen photographer on one hand, and 2 boys desperate for gelato on the other!) and took us round on a tour which met everyone's needs (including a less than mobile parent). This is where a tour like this really pays off - the trip can be tailored to the individuals, so if you want to spend more time in one building and less in another, no problem. Elisabetta was an expert driver and literally took us door to door everywhere we wanted to go.

We thought that trying to do much in Rome in a day was ambitious, but thanks to Franco we saw as much as our friend who spent 3 days there! A smooth pick up from the cruise terminal followed by the drive to Rome during which he explained much of what we were going to see. Chilled water on a hot day was a nice touch, and again we saw so much in the day due to being able to get so close to the sites. For a once in a lifetime trip to the Vatican for my parents, Katherine was a superb guide, and again both the young and old appreciated her tour of the Vatican.

Jany made the pre-tour aspects as smooth as possible, providing clear instructions as to how and where to buy advance tickets for some of the exhibits that we saw, which save us queuing on the day. We also were given a discount for arranging multiple trips during the same cruise, so worth emailing in advance.

For those who have booked tours with RIL in the past, could you advise on the walking distance from the gangway to the meeting point with the driver in both Livorno and Civitavecchia?........................................................

Once we meet up, how far away will the vehicle be parked?.........................

Did anyone have issues making the 8:00 am meeting time?........................

..........................................................................................................

Finally, what time did you meet up with the group onboard to get there by 8:00am? .................................

We dock in both ports at 7:00am but there are 3 other ships in port that day.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Kinkacruiser

In both places the R-I-L driver and vehicle will be about 50-75 yards from the side of the ship, perhaps a little more in Civi depending on which dock the ship is at.

No problem for an 8am meeting, we actually waited a bit, as our ship started letting people of at 7:15.

It was just us, not a group, so DW and I had been meeting daily in our cabin...

Edited by CruiserBruce

This was also our experience, RIL driver was waiting with our name on a board..... Just as we got off the ship!

Can't say enough about how wonderful RIL was and how much they added to our Rome visit.

We are booked for all three of our Italy ports with Rome in Limo. Is it customary to invite your driver to have lunch with you during your tour? I don't mind at all...I was just wondering what most have done. Thanks!

We did invite our drivers in two of three ports but they both declined. I think it's an opportunity for them to take a break....

We are booked for all three of our Italy ports with Rome in Limo. Is it customary to invite your driver to have lunch with you during your tour? I don't mind at all...I was just wondering what most have done. Thanks!

We had the same experience. I think they appreciate having a bit of down time. Just really wanted to add that you have made a great choice with RIL. Have a wonderful time.