Cruise without passport?

Romodax

My parents are going on a cruise May 31. My father, after 2 1/2 months, still have not received his passport. My mother received hers approx 3 weeks ago. Since the cruise starts before the June 1 deadline, can he still use his birth certificate to get back into the U.S.? He he a military ID (retired) and driver's license.

Two things. Your father should followup on his passport. If they applied at the same time his should have arrived around the same time. The other issue is that if he has to fly back home for whatever reason he wouldn't be able to do so. I would followup on the passport first. Finally, check with the cruise line to make sure they don't require passports. There are some that require passports for all cruises. This might not be one of the cruise lines but just have them verify that as well.

Keith

Previous military or those with security clearances are subject to extra scrutiny for some odd reason. I have no idea what the reasoning is, but twice in the last 6 months, visa's and also gun purchases have been held up. When I called ATF about gun clearance (this past Friday- the NRA show is in Phoenix and I wanted a gun at the show), they SPECIFICALLY told me it was because I had CAC (Common Access) ID for US military bases in war zones.

Follow up on the passport immediately but do not be surprised if the delay has to do with military or security clearances.

The cruise lines have to abide by the Homeland Security Laws and they state that if you leave from an American port and come back to that same port then you can use just your birth certificate and a picture ID. The cruise lines can not make their own policies on these laws, at least I don't think that they can.

The cruise lines have to abide by the Homeland Security Laws and they state that if you leave from an American port and come back to that same port then you can use just your birth certificate and a picture ID. The cruise lines can not make their own policies on these laws, at least I don't think that they can.

A cruise line- a private company can set its own standards in excess of the governmental minimum requirements for who it permits aboard(as long as those standards don't violate a law i.e. unlawfully discriminate)...so it can require universally a passport if it wants to but it would probably not want to for business reasons. Remember even though DHS doesn't require it on a round trip-closed loop cruise to WHTI countries at least Belize, Roaton and reportedly the Dominick Republic do require passports.

If you are having difficulty getting your passport and the passport center will not respond or is giving you the usual run around, call your US Representative's office either local or in DC. They can get the wheels of the government moving in short order. They are most happy to provide this service to their constituents. Do it now.

Above all get a passport. It solves all travel documentation problems and is the only internationally recognized ID. They are good for 10 years.

Archived