Making Your Own Cocktails

faithers

Does anyone have any suggestions for mixing drinks if you smuggle alcohol onto the ship? What "mixers" are available for free? We recently sailed on NCL, and tried to make do with the orange and cranberry juices that were served with breakfast. We were told that there would be lemonade and fruit punch, but we never saw either.

Our next cruise is to Alaska on RCCL. Does anyone know what kind of free "mixers" we'll have to work with? Also, if you buy a soda package, is it just soft drinks, or does it include other mixer possibilities?

Does anyone have any suggestions for mixing drinks if you smuggle alcohol onto the ship? What "mixers" are available for free? We recently sailed on NCL, and tried to make do with the orange and cranberry juices that were served with breakfast. We were told that there would be lemonade and fruit punch, but we never saw either.

Our next cruise is to Alaska on RCCL. Does anyone know what kind of free "mixers" we'll have to work with? Also, if you buy a soda package, is it just soft drinks, or does it include other mixer possibilities?

Just a heads up!!! You will be hard pressed to smuggle on RCCL. They are probably the most diligent looking for "smuggled" alcohol. Think George Smith (and all the liability that incident involved)!!!!

If you buy the soda card you can usually get all the typical soft drinks plus tonic water and the juices they have at the bar. Ice Tea and Lemonade are the free ones at the buffet. I was able to buy nips ashore and bring them in my pocket. They did not set off the metal detector. That was in St Martaan and Jack Daniels was $1.50 per nip. Much more in the states.

Just a heads up!!! You will be hard pressed to smuggle on RCCL. They are probably the most diligent looking for "smuggled" alcohol. Think George Smith (and all the liability that incident involved)!!!!

It's interesting (at least to me) that faithers was able to sneak alcohol on NCL. In our experience, NCL and RCI are about equal in how diligently they search for alcohol (and other contraband). The line into the "naughty room" on NCL was extremely long. I suspect that most who are able to sneak it aboard on NCL use rumrunners or other non-bottle-shaped options because they are specifically looking for large bottle-shaped items. On her Star cruise, my mom got a note to go to the naughty room because they thought her shampoo bottle was a likely suspect. It wasn't, of course, but she did waste nearly an hour waiting and then opening her bag to show that it wasn't booze. Yep, the crew member even made her open the bottle to prove it was shampoo.

beachchick

If you buy the soda card you can usually get all the typical soft drinks plus tonic water and the juices they have at the bar. Ice Tea and Lemonade are the free ones at the buffet. I was able to buy nips ashore and bring them in my pocket. They did not set off the metal detector. That was in St Martaan and Jack Daniels was $1.50 per nip. Much more in the states.

The soda card on RCL is only good for fountain soda, not juice. They have coke, diet coke, sprite, ginger ale and soda water.

Lemonade, iced tea, coffee, tea and milk are included in your cruise fare as well as juice at breakfast.

May I please ask an unusual question what is the 5000 club cruise? Does that mean that you have been on 5000 cruises or you have posted 5000 posts?Loretta

:D Oh man, that would be nice to have taken 5000+ cruises. No, I think it has to do with post count because the site automatically changes what's listed under our screen names when we have a certain number of posts. I don't really care if they give me a "subtitle" though. It's immaterial, especially because some people cruise a lot, but rarely visit the site (or even become members).

beachchick

I'm a Baily's man. Not much need for a chaser. On Carnival, they usually have fruit punch and lemonade all day in the buffet

Carnival is no longer serving fruit punch from the dispensers. It stained the carpeting. You can get a guava drink in the mornings.

We usually buy pinapple juice and cranberry juice in smal size (6 pack) with a 12 of water. Works very well! Also, you can buy margarita mixer in plastic container so you can pack it up in your luggage. I also take 2 mugs with lids from starbucks and I can walk with my drink ;)

Raspberry flavored mix that you put in a bottle of water tastes good with Malibu Rum. We also bring the small cans of pineapple juice, even bring the Magic Bullet Blender and bring some Coco Real, (cream of coconut) and mix up Pina Colada's in our cabin also using the Malibu Rum. Also bring little boxes of Minute Maid Orange Juice to mix with Vodka and we bring the lemonade packets for the water to use as chasers for our whiskey shots.

We bring our liquor in the Rum Runners and sailed RCCL about a month ago. There were five couples and each couple had their own rum runners. Had no problems whatsoever................... Each couple also brought a case of water and a 12 pack of soda.

See my review link below... (has pictures)...

We asked for pineapple and orange juice (room service). It came in glasses, but we had a bottle and poured it up into it. We asked for 8, and they didn't give us a problem. We mixed it with Coconut rum and spiced rum.

DW and I like to use the crystal light on the go packets. You can buy them at safeway and other stores. Just mix with water. DW mixed with half water and half vodka and was very happy. I think other products like kool-aid are doing this now too.

Steve

http://www.drsoda.com/crystallight1.html

This is exactly what we do as well. We bring either Crystal Light, Wyler's Light (Walgreens brand), or Hawaiian Punch "to go" packets. You can get a little box of 8 packets for only $1 at Walgreens. We mix them in our water bottles, then add rum or vodka. Works nicely!

The crystal light is a great idea. I have used the packets when camping but never on the ship. I have always brought my own libations aboard. These days I use RR but used to just bring the bottles. I always have my own plastic drink bottle available in most sport stores. I take it to breakfast with me and fill it with orange juice. You can imagine what I do with it. During the day I use soda pop or water. The crystal light would be a nice addition and I will take some with me next time. Thanks for the idea.

41.gif

My parents drink scotch whenever they don't have access to a full bar. I don't drink but I keep a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label for them. I'm sure we'll try to bring some on board with us. Maybe hide a little flask in each suitcase. ;)

Otherwise, Celebrity offers either a 'Classic Liquor Package' for $80 or a 'Premium Liquor Package' for $100 which is ONE bottle of liquor, 6 cans of soda and snacks (?) for the stateroom.

Archived