New Regulations?

lauralou2

I am sure that I read somewhere on these boards a few days ago that new regulations were coming into force in the U S on May 15th that would require names on tickets, boarding passes and the like to exactly match the names on your passport. Now I cant find the thread! Does this ring any bells with anyone? Appreciate some help,thanks. Tony:confused:

I heard this on the news. Your name on the ticket,(they were speaking of airline tickets) must EXACTLY match what is on you drivers license. You will also now have to give your dat of birth, which i don't like. I'll give my age, but my DOB is just too much info IMHO.

For additional information go to

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2009/0512.shtm

Note full name as it apperas on passport will be requested"when making airline reservation"

"Small differences ...will not be anissue for passengers"

Second phase will be initiated on August 15,2009

Obviously those who made reservations prior to 5/15/09 should not panic

Careful the OP is from the UK and this "rule" has applied to foreigners since shortly after 9/11.

OP you can only cruise with a passport anyway (which should be 100% correct) I assume then that your cruise ticket does not match your passport - right? Then you need to have your TA contact RCCL and I am sure that they will want some sort of correction fee. However that will be absolutely correct since ALL foreign bookings have to have names entered as they appear in your passport. Just how bad is the discrepancy?

There are a few instances where the name on the passport might not match the name on your cruise ticket, such as someone who's newly married or has another reason for a change of name, such as adoption. In those cases all you need to do is bring along your marriage license or adoption papers and that would work just fine. Americans have been doing this for many years as the rule has been for cruises that the name on your boarding documents had to match the name on your photo ID.

HALLO the OP is form the UK - special exceptions afforded US passengers DO NOT APPLY to them regardless of what americans are allowed to do. DHS require all foreigners entering the US to use passports AND that the names on ALL documentation corresepond with the name in the passport to 100% or entry into the US can be denied. That is also the reason why manifests are closed 72 hours prior to departure because at this time it has to be transfered to the DHS for screening. Screening can only happen if the names are correct - up until now the DHS didn't worry about US citizen but even that is slowly changing - green card holders now have to be finger printed too on EVERY entry into the US.

I am sure that I read somewhere on these boards a few days ago that new regulations were coming into force in the U S on May 15th that would require names on tickets, boarding passes and the like to exactly match the names on your passport. Now I cant find the thread! Does this ring any bells with anyone? Appreciate some help,thanks. Tony:confused:

Hi

Can't find the thread but the reg states that names must match- ie if you are Bill Smith & passport = William Smith then Tkts etc HAVE to be William Smith. So check spellings etc.

Carole

I can tell you for airline tickets and boarding passes it has to match exactly...especially if it's a transboarder flight.

If the issue is a married name/maiden name one, you may be OK if you bring your marriage cert and birth cert with you along with your passport and dl or other government issued ID.

The rule is not only for security reasons, there really is a lot of ticket fraud out there. (Tickets purchased with stolen credit cards then sold to someone dirt cheep for cash).

If your name doesn't match, have your ticket re-issued asap...you'll save yourself a lot of trouble and stress at the airport where they may or may not be able to re-issue the ticket...it all depends where you bought it.

;)

I bought plane tickets on May 15th, but didn't know anything about this rule, so I didn't but my middle name on the reservation. My middle name is on my drivers license. Do I need to try to get the online travel agency to re-issue the ticket, or will I be ok?

Please check the link in post 4

Apparently the TSA is going to be flexible regarding this policy

They "encourage" travelers to make sure the names agree for reservations made

Spoke to my carrier and was advised that there should not be a problem (we made reservations in January for a flight on 5/28)

If you feel uncomfortable suggest you take to your TA but don't think this will be a problem in the near future

I thought it already was the law.:eek:

I bought plane tickets on May 15th, but didn't know anything about this rule, so I didn't but my middle name on the reservation. My middle name is on my drivers license. Do I need to try to get the online travel agency to re-issue the ticket, or will I be ok?

That's fine...as long as your first and last names are exactly as shown on your dl (pport if going transborder).

If you mean your dl only has your middle name and last name (ie no first name on it and that's what you booked your ticket with) then yes, you had better get it re-issued.

Have a great trip!

;)

In spite of the flexibilities, I would allow extra time at the airport just in case. Those of us who travel for work (US government employee) have been advised that we can be turned away at the gate if our boarding passes do not match our ID. If that happens, we will need to return to the ticket counter to have the boarding pass reissued. Haven't travelled yet since the rules went into effect so I do not know the reality but the advice to build in more time doesn't seem like a bad idea. If you are travellling internationally, I would take the extra precaution of having the ticket reissued if there are differences.

Thankyou to all the responses to my original post, our cruise is not until next April so no tickets have been issued yet, I just wanted to be sure that we jump through all the right hoops!:)

On Mon., May 18, I bought a Delta plane ticket online. There was no space for a middle name. Our cruise receipt doesn't have my middle name either. This for Jan. 4, 2010, so I guess I should get these changed to include my middle name which is on my passport and drivers license.

The TSA requires certain changes be in place .

The major airlines are not ready to implement these changes as of 5/15 ,the effective date of the new policy:eek:

Susie 51 purchases a ticket from Delta 5/18/09 for a flight in January 2010

By that time TSA is requesting, effective August 2009, that tickets indicate date of birth & sex.:confused:

How many tickets will be issued via travel agencies, on line web sites or directly with the airlines that will need to be changed after the date of purchases and at what cost to the consumer?

Will the airlines charge for fees for ticket changes

GOOD LUCK SUSIE

• 3 weeks later...

Aftre reading an article in our local paper today & recalling this thread , I tried to get our middle names added to our DELTA tix without success.

Our ticketed names do not have our MIDDLE NAMES like our passports do.

Our tickets were issued quite awhile ago (JFK to FCO.) & we re-did them once already for a fare reduction-with penalties...so we can't very well do that again... After being on hold forever to DELTA, the agent today said they could not change the name on our tickets & that all she could do was note their computer records that we have reported our Middle names.. She said the computer interface (?) with TSA is not yet able to take birth dates & gender..

If we can't do better by Sept. I am wondering what elese we can do--call TSA (check the webiste?), bring birth cetifs & other photo ID like licenses, etc. I am nervous-- we have quite alot invested in this cruise vacation but have to be able to leave JFK to get it started & also be able to return to the US!!!

What are others experiencing?. (I will also post on the cruise air thread)

I am from the UK. This regulation has always bothered me because often my middle name does not always appear on my tickets [cruise and/or air] despite all my efforts to get it put on to match my passport. I have not had any problems so far. I would be happier if all carriers' computer systems dod not screw up!

Sue

thanks to those who replied here--glad we are not the only ones in this situation...

The cruise air thread has answered my questions so we are hopeful it'll be OK

When we booked our tix online there is no space to put in a middle name or dob... Suggest anyone with similar issues, click on the link provided above or look for my specific posting there about middle names! Luckily neither me or DH has common first or last names...

Archived