How seriously do you take the cruise reviews

Kroosin

Knowing nothing is perfect ( my kids being an exception !!!!!) and they are just opinions I like to read them and see what information I can gather that may pertain to a cruise I am taking or planning to take. I usually do not pay attention to the high praise or the person who has all complaints. Gather the information and put into a perspective that I would enjoy. A few years ago we went on a Carnival cruise out of San Diego and I went with extremely low expectations and was pleasantly surprised, then we did a transatlantic on NCL and I went with fairly high expectations and was disappointed. Friends went on the same ship a few weeks later and loved it. Each persons opinions are good for them and them only.

When NCL America first started doing their circle-Hawaii cruises without going all the way down to Fanning Island we booked one. Then we started reading the deluge of bad reviews about NCL-A on CC and decided to cancel. It took us about 10 weeks to finally get our money back, but I'm definitely glad that we saw those reviews before we went! :D

While I do read some of the reviews, I tend to take most of them with a grain of salt.

I find on these boards that people tend to strictly prefer one or the other cruise line, rather than a few varied ones as I do, and some tend to get either too flowery or too negative in their reviews.

I prefer to make up my own mind, based on my own experiences, rather than be swayed by a stranger's opinion through a message board.

On the various cruise line forums I always read those reviews that I am interested in learning about. Also the, "live from", type of reviews that give a day-by-day look at the entire cruise are often the most valuable. Theer are some very credible people who I can always count on for intelligent well tought out opinoions that are very valuable.

The Review Forum ones I do read from time-to-time, but I only put stock in those that cover both the good and the bad of a given ship/cruise, and, put everything into perspective. The, "I hate whatever line and won't ever cruise with them again because they left the crust on the sandwich bread", I just ignore. Likewise the reviews I categorize as the "died and gone to heaven" variety. They are of no value.

I enjoy the balanced reviews and give the most credence to those. I also give more weight to the reviews posted in the reviews section than when they are posted on the discussion boards. When the reviewer is too "gushy" I'm not sure they are really giving an adequate picture of the ship. On the other hand when someone's cruise is ruined because lights bulbs were burned out or a can of soda in the mini bar was expired i realize that these people must live in a different world than I do. If someone says "the ship needs sprucing up, but we had a wonderful cruise" or "the food was good, but I had a tough steak one night" I'll put more stock in that because they are trying to give an idea of what it was really like rather than convincing other to sail (or not sail) on a particular ship or with a particular line..

i enjoy the balanced reviews and give the most credence to those. I also give more weight to the reviews posted in the reviews section than when they are posted on the discussion boards. When the reviewer is too "gushy" i'm not sure they are really giving an adequate picture of the ship. On the other hand when someone's cruise is ruined because lights bulbs were burned out or a can of soda in the mini bar was expired i realize that these people must live in a different world than i do. If someone says "the ship needs sprucing up, but we had a wonderful cruise" or "the food was good, but i had a tough steak one night" i'll put more stock in that because they are trying to give an idea of what it was really like rather than convincing other to sail (or not sail) on a particular ship or with a particular line..

very well said;)

After being on the Amsterdam for Alaska and totally loving that ship, there was a review of someone really dissing it because it is an aging ship and needed a modern update with the decor. I loved the early 20th century decor and the layout of the ship. It is still my favorite ship. After that I realized everyone has their own opinion and I love the Amsterdam! I tend to believe in what the serious ccers say but still sail and do my own thing.

Truth is in the eyes of the beholder.

Like many that have already posted, I don't take seriously those that are too "gushy", and I especially ignore the first time poster who blasts HAL, then never posts again.

Still, CC is a great place to get useful information, I guess you have to filter out the extremes.

We like all the reviews, but the negative ones sometimes forget to talk about anything that could have been good from their cruise.

If someone has a big problem, then it comes across pretty quickly... If a reviewer genuinely wants to tell others about their trip for the good of future cruisers, they usually try to focus on more than a few little things...

Keep the reviews coming...

:D:D:D

I do love reading this stuff. I get quite frightened, however, by the number of people who complain of sewage smells and filthy ships. Also, the ones who complain about the service and so forth, where have they been? Not on the same ships as me!:D

I admit to reading them, but I do so with filters - one for the cheerleaders who would lead you to believe they are on the payroll as PR people . I also wear filters (big heavy ones) for those who do nothing but complain about the most trivial items (brand of tea bags, don't carry their favorite brand of beer or booze) Those people need to get a life.

There was a time when, upon return from a cruise, I would write a critique of my trip. But after being flamed by the cheerleaders of that particular line, when I mentioned that my most recent cruise was not up to previous standards, I just gave up. Life is too short to get involved in that.

I have found reading these boards over a few years, you can tell the cheerleaders and the complainers and learn to enjoy those who write an honest appraisal warts and all.:)

Absolute right, I alway's read between the lines and compare the + and - and make an average to get a little glimps of what could be.

Just think of all the trips you may have taken in your life and then think of your most favorite hotel in all those you've visited. The best of the best... Now just logon to Trip Advisor or some other travel site and see what other people have to say about it! You are likely to find rude staff, coakroaches, terrible food, smelly rooms, etc. etc.. It's the same with Cruise Critic, just take the reviews for what they are, someone's opinion which may not necessarily agree with yours.

I don't read any of the reviews in the special Review forum; I read all the reviewing threads in this forum, however.

On the HAL board I usually already have an impression of the poster, so I know how much faith to put in what they say. Over here, too, there's the opportunity to ask questions, and get a fuller explanation if something needs it.

If someone has just become a member, and it's the first post, and heavy on the negative side, I don't give it any credence at all. It comes across as a hidden agenda. If it's balanced, then I enjoy the reading.

I agree with Ruth on this. I place more value on the review and feedback of a poster who has a "track record" of offering good advice on the forum. That does not mean that some of the other reviews have less validity, but more so that the feedback for me has a better chance of not being overly critical or overly championed for a particular cruise line or writtten with an agenda.

Joe

Cruise Critic's review section is useful. Simply throw out the high, 5+ star, and the low, 1 star. What remains is often reliable, especially the mid range ratings. They usually don't have an agenda.

These 2 pages of posts have covered the issue so well, I'm not sure my comment adds anything...but no one has specifically mentioned reviews that cite mechanical issues. Air conditioning is a "hot button" for me, as I need to live in a refrigerator (well....almost).

I know any ship can have any mechanical problem at any time. However, if I read repeated reviews mentioning a/c issues, I'll look at whether drydock/maintenance is upcoming, and what cabin types seem affected. As RuthC often notes, this can just be some newbie with an propped open balcony door.

I read them for the entertainment value. :D When there's a really negative review, I think it's usually a case of the person got on the ship with a chip on their shoulder to start with, or something bad happened at the beginning of the cruise that tainted everything else.

Roz

I look to see if there are similarities between reviews. Like, if everybody is posting that the service is slow or that the ship is looking old, I tend to believe that is a fact. However, everybody has their own opinion. Like for me, it takes so darn much overtime to afford a cruise, that I am going to have a good time come heck, high water, or being robbed in Jamaica. Others, like my friend, find something negative no matter where they go and I think they look for it to get OBC.

The reviews for me are enjoyable to read. When I am considering a cruise, I like to read about what other people think about that particular ship. If several people are reporting about a "smell in the aft hallway", I'll trust them and book a room midship or forward. Also, from the reviews I have learned that if you have a lower, forward cabin you'll hear very loud noises from the anchor early in the morning when tendering. I have been in lower, forward cabins and I was glad to be forewarned.

I always enjoy reading the reviews. I have written reviews on both HAL cruises that I took. I am the type of person who loves to have a good time, will find the good in most things and am pretty low maintenance. If given something I don't like for dinner, I will look forward to the dessert and comment on how great dessert was. If my beds are not situated how I want them, I will mention it to the stewad and then go have a drink somewhere while they fix the beds...no problem. That's just me. I am always so surprised when some folks post horrible reviews on the same ship I was on and noticed none of the negatives. My DH, a fireman and I, a manager of a busy Neurology/Sleep Center, see so many real problems and human pain and suffering in our real life. Some minor problem on a wonderful cruise ship is just not that big of a deal to us. If it does not end with blood and guts, we are pretty much happy.

I think that each individual takes out of the review what they want. I personally like reading them as there can be some good information. Perfect example the long wait in the security line at Seattle's Pier 91. I now know to get to the dock by 11:00-11:30 to avoid these lines.

Archived