Newbie lost regarding luggage!

Hi everyone,

Having read this forum avidly over the last couple of weeks prior to my first cruise in August, I have picked up many useful hints and tips, the main three being:

1. I will NOT turn off the auto-tips, despite many British friends / acquaintances / colleagues who have cruised (and who are surprisingly large in number when I start going on to people about my summer holiday :D) telling me to go straight to the pursar's desk upon boarding to get them removed from my account.

2. I will tip my cabin steward (who all seem to be called Stewart for some reason :rolleyes:) and any other member of staff extra at the end of the cruise if they have provided excellent service.

3. DH and I will dress in nice dresses and tuxes (me in the former, him in the latter ;)) on Formal nights - have bought my dresses, just need the shoes now....

But as I was thinking about the third point, it has raised a question in my mind.

I have seen people on the postings saying that they are not going to wear formal clothes and will simply say to the maitre d' that their clothes have been lost along with the rest of their luggage.

So, although I know this is being used as an excuse to not get dressed up, it got me thinking as to how much luggage is actually lost? And is this the airlines losing it (we are flying from Heathrow Terminal 5 which was notorious for this when it first opened a few months ago), or does Princess lose it?

Has anyone had theirs lost? How quickly did you get it back?

Thanks for your answer - very reassuring. I must say we have done loads of foreign land-based holidays and never lost our luggage either, but it just seems to be something that crops up a lot here when people are talking about formal wear in particular. Makes you wonder how so many people get away with saying this to the Maitre d' if it is such a rare occurence. Although I suppose on the other hand, the Maitre d' knows they are trying to pull a fast one, but don't say anything so as not to cause a scene. ;)

Thanks for your answer - very reassuring. I must say we have done loads of foreign land-based holidays and never lost our luggage either, but it just seems to be something that crops up a lot here when people are talking about formal wear in particular. Makes you wonder how so many people get away with saying this to the Maitre d' if it is such a rare occurence. Although I suppose on the other hand, the Maitre d' knows they are trying to pull a fast one, but don't say anything so as not to cause a scene. ;)

That's exactly correct. I read another thread that mentioned the Maitre d' saying that it wasn't worth arguing with people about the situation & it made his life much easier not to say anything at all.

Just to be safe my dh and I each take a carry on with a couple of pair of shorts, a couple of tops, a bathing suit and medications. I started doing this when we sat with a couple who had lost their luggage and did not get it until day 3 of the cruise.

If by horrible chance your luggage is lost by the airline, hopefully you are arriving in Italy the day before. That way, there is time for the airline to find your luggage and deliver it back to you. Your trip will be wonderful. Have a great time.

Once again, many thanks to all of your for your great ideas and sharing your tips :)

Unfortunately, being a newbie, I didn't book the staying in Rome on the day before bit, and then when I realised this would be a good idea, Princess said there wasn't any availability :( (I am flying on cruiseair)

So, I will take a few little extra supplies in my carry on, to be on the safe side - great advice!

Another tip is that if two of you are traveling together, pack some of each person's clothes in the other suitcase. That way, if a suitcase is lost, you both have clothes.

As for the incidence of lost luggage, it happens but not as often as people would have you believe or want to claim. Most of the time, the embarkation luggage tag has been lost and it takes time to identify someone's luggage by their main luggage tag. I've experienced lost luggage but it's aways been by the airline on the way home. Last year, Princess lost my sister's bag at disembarkation and it took over a month to find it in Copenhagen and get it to CA. Princess wanted to ship it via sea and my BIL told them absolutely no dice, ship it by air. It was there two days later.

The only time our luggage was lost was by the airline in Miami. Thank goodness we went a day early and our luggage arrive later than night.

However, do yourself a favor - pack some clothing in the suitcase of the person you are traveling with and have them pack a few items in yours. That way, if a piece of luggage does get lost by the airline, you aren't stuck in the clothes you came in - you will still have something in the other suitcase.

Hi Friday,

Princess lost all my stuff in Miami, we had it out side the hotel as we got on bus and it was never seen again.

What does ~Princess do well, they give you a free Tux, plus cash to buy stuff, so you will be dressed for formal night.

As to numbers that dress for formal nights,

very high in the dinning rooms, those that do not often go to other places to eat.

So my guess Christmas cruise 100%, Caribbean 98% Med 99% in the dinning rooms.

yours Shogun

Thanks to all of you of you for your replies. Great idea from willy'sgrandma and Pam re. packing bits of DHs clothes in my case and vice versa. I really would never have thought of that for cruising or any other type of holiday, but it really makes sense :)

Another tip we got from these boards: Princess usually sends extra color coordinated luggage tags so we try to attach 2 of them to our larger suitcases. Also, we use a sharpie to write on them, makes it harder to make a mistake re: cabin number. I have been on a couple of cruises where there were announcements for passengers to check and see if they had someone else's bags in their cabin --- although I always wonder who would not report this if they discovered it when unpacking!

One of my son's bags was lost by the airline last year. The Princess rep who was guiding other passengers at the Copenhagen airport helped us fill out the necessary paperwork. The bag was delivered to us on the ship.

We were traveling with our two boys and had packed 1/2 and 1/2 as Pam suggested which served us well in the interim.

Another tip we got from these boards: Princess usually sends extra color coordinated luggage tags so we try to attach 2 of them to our larger suitcases. Also, we use a sharpie to write on them, makes it harder to make a mistake re: cabin number. I have been on a couple of cruises where there were announcements for passengers to check and see if they had someone else's bags in their cabin --- although I always wonder who would not report this if they discovered it when unpacking!

Sorry, but something kinda got lost in translation over the Atlantic....! What is a "sharpie" :confused:

The airline lost our luggage (six people in our group). We were cruising out of Galveston and our luggage did finally arrive in Cozumel three days later. We were relative newbies at the time (I had not found Cruise Critic yet) and only had the clothes on our backs. The cruise ship was great - they gave my dh a tux and we received some cash to buy a few items. The also let us use the laundry for free until our cases arrived.

Now we know to pack a carry-on with bathing suits and an extra outfit to wear (p.s. don't forget underwear) just in case.

Vette

The airline lost our luggage (six people in our group). We were cruising out of Galveston and our luggage did finally arrive in Cozumel three days later. We were relative newbies at the time (I had not found Cruise Critic yet) and only had the clothes on our backs. The cruise ship was great - they gave my dh a tux and we received some cash to buy a few items. The also let us use the laundry for free until our cases arrived.

Now we know to pack a carry-on with bathing suits and an extra outfit to wear (p.s. don't forget underwear) just in case.

Vette

Hi Vette

Was this with Princess, or a different company? It is very generous of them to give you cash to buy items, particularly as it was the airline's fault and not theirs :) Did you have to pay the cash back at the end of your cruise?

Cool :cool: I understand now. We just call them marker pens over here :)

Why are they called sharpies when they are not sharp?

It's the Brand Name (Registered trademark - little circled "R" after the name on the pen) of the most popular brand. I can't tell which company, since I'm just looking at the pen and not the packing it came in.

My mother's suitcase was lost by the airline a number of years ago and she had Princess insurance. The Pursers Desk told her she could spend up to $500 in the boutiques on board to get any needed clothing. Unfortunately I wasn't with her so she only spent like $67 on a blouse and some undies.:rolleyes: She ate in her room for formal night because she didn't want to buy a sparkly top and skirt or pants. She received her suitcase about 3 days later. (I would have spent every penny of that $500 had I been with her!! ;))

As to the importance of mixing clothes in suitcases, DH and I have always done that. Our last cruise was from our home port so we did not have to fly anywhere. I put nearly all my clothes in one suitcase and sure enough, MY suitcase was delayed in reaching the cabin. :eek: I was a little worried, but by the time we came back from dinner (long after sailaway) my bag had appeared. :)

fridaythecat.co.uk,

Hi there,

I appologise in advance if I am wrong but are you sure your questions are not a wind up?:p

Reading these board can get to you sometimes.:eek:

I have seen people on the postings saying that they are not going to wear formal clothes and will simply say to the maitre d' that their clothes have been lost along with the rest of their luggage.

So, although I know this is being used as an excuse to not get dressed up, it got me thinking as to how much luggage is actually lost? And is this the airlines losing it (we are flying from Heathrow Terminal 5 which was notorious for this when it first opened a few months ago), or does Princess lose it?

Has anyone had theirs lost? How quickly did you get it back?

41 princess cruises and never a lost bag.

That's exactly correct. I read another thread that mentioned the Maitre d' saying that it wasn't worth arguing with people about the situation & it made his life much easier not to say anything at all.

Lost luggage usually varies between 0 and 2% on any given flight. On a cruise you are talking about a few to several dozens of lost bags per cruise.

One person claiming a lost bag should not be surprising. Sure some will try to pull a fast one :cool: But there will be several people with lost luggage on every cruise as well.

Not knowing the people the Maitre d' will never be able to figure out who is being honest so why would he even try.

There are plenty of lost bags on every cruise and it is the easiest and best back up plan for not bringing a jacket.

But I also must say that if you simply wear a long sleeve shirt with out a jacket men will not even be questioned by the Maitre d'

fridaythecat.co.uk,

Hi there,

I appologise in advance if I am wrong but are you sure your questions are not a wind up?:p

Reading these board can get to you sometimes.:eek:

Hello Caber,

No my questions are sincere :rolleyes: I just have a brain that works in a funny kind of way, I suppose, and I want to soak up so much info before I go so that DH and I can make the most of every minute of our first cruise :p

Archived