Another Money Question! How much dosh do I need for 7 days!!??

catbaba20

Hi Guys,

Im sure you get asked this question all the time and I know its all relative really but I am cruising for the first time with my boyfriend on LIberty of the Seas on RCL on the 13th June and Im trying to do the last minute budgeting!

We have booked and pre-paid for all our excursions, we have also pre-paid for a wine package and pre-paid our tips. We wont be doing a lot of gambling or any spa treatments. We might eat at Portofinos one night and will definitely be hitting the cocktails...maybe three each a day. Is $1000 on the card and about $700 cash enough for the two of us for the week??

Ive seen huge figures thrown about in other threads about what kind of spending money people are bringing but they hadnt pre-booked excursions or tips and were big gamblers i think!

You reckon thats okay?? Id hate to be really short

That amount of money is wayyyyy more than I would bring considering all of your pre-paid expenses. Only on-board expenses I can foresee is purchase of Photo's (they can get really expensive - wait until later in the week to make your choices), alcholic beverages which include tips and spa or shopping/souvenirs. On land, try to limit your shopping and eating. Beverage purchases are fine plus you will want to tip the driver and guides.

One important money issue is to bring lots of $1 bills for tipping and small purchases like porters, taxi's/drivers, an ice cream, etc. I usually bring $50 to $100. You can always use them also for room service tipping (about $2 or more per order at the time of service).

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

I think $1000 onboard credit would be good for you guys. Do you really think you'll need $700 cash, though? Most places do take Visa/MC. We carried minimal cash for those hole in the wall vendors, but when we dined everywhere we went took Visa. They have ATMs in port, too... I want to say the fee is something like $5-10. We're anal planners.... we plan exactly what we're going to spend and on what for each port... and we bring envelopes with a pre-determined amount of cash for each port.

I think your amount for on board credit is good. You probably won't spend that much, but it's good to have a sizeable cushion in the event that you decide to get spendy and/or drink a considerable amount of booze.

We have Irish credit cards/bank cards so I think we would be charged a small fortune each time to take out cash so I thought it safer to bring the cash. Delighted everyone thinks we have enough. Cant wait!!!!!We are both in out 20s and this is kind of a big holiday for us before we head back to University for some more postgraduate studies.

There is no need to bring a lot of cash with you. $200 in small bills for tips should be enough. Everything else can be charged to be paid off immediately when you get home is much safer than carrying a lot of cash.

We try to budget $100 pp per day for extras including excursions which you have already paid, souveniers, pictures & cocktails.

Your budget sounds more than fine to me.

Ok--don't bring the money in small bills---bring large denominations, and break them on the ship. You can carry alot of cash in a small space with larger bills! If you bring small bills, it's awkward and thick and you look like an "old-timey" gas station attendant!!!!

Archived