Transportation - Cape Liberty to Manhattan & then to EWR

Aprille

Considering staying post-cruise in Manhattan to make the most of our one day/evening/morning in Manhattan.

Before I do too much research into Manhattan hotels, what are the transportation costs going to be to get from Cape Liberty to Manhattan and then from Manhattan to EWR (cab vs personal car service).

Found a great rate at La Quinta at 17 W 32nd (near Empire State Building) for $112.49. Not looking for 4*, just someplace clean in a decent location for sight-seeing. Our must-see list includes Top of the Rock, St Patrick's Cathedral, WTC and maybe Central Park (if we can squeeze it in).

Already have Hyatt Jersey City booked for both pre-and-post cruise (also at a great rate) so will likely stick with that if transportation costs to and from Manhattan are too prohibitive. Although the convenience of staying in Manhattan is awfully tempting since we have such limited time to spend there. We will definitely stick with Hyatt pre-cruise as our main goal for that day is Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island.

Thanks for any input. :)

Aprille - you have found a great rate in NY. However, just remember we are docking on a Friday morning, so if you disembark promptly (which you would want to do to get the most out of the day), you will have to contend with rush hour traffic trying to get through the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel. If you choose to do this, you definitely want to have a prearranged ride at a fixed rate. There are other less expensive options such as an airport bus or train to return to Newark Airport from New York. It all depends on how well you can manage your luggage.

Aprille - you have found a great rate in NY. However, just remember we are docking on a Friday morning, so if you disembark promptly (which you would want to do to get the most out of the day), you will have to contend with rush hour traffic trying to get through the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel. If you choose to do this, you definitely want to have a prearranged ride at a fixed rate. There are other less expensive options such as an airport bus or train to return to Newark Airport from New York. It all depends on how well you can manage your luggage.

Usually the traffic outbound, (into NJ) in the am is not as bad as in bound. Especially the Lincoln Tunnel, because that is where all the commuter busses from NJ to NY go. After nine it shouldn't be bad at all.

Thanks, Carol. I hadn't thought about it being Friday during morning rush hour traffic upon our return. I have seen a private car service listed here but didn't bookmark it. Black Car Service or something like that??? Do you have the exact name? We will definitely have too much luggage after a 12-night cruise to manage public transportation. :eek: Thinking maybe pre-arranged ride from the port to Manhattan and then cab it to EWR on Saturday. Will need to head to the airport around noon.

Cost will be approx $100 from the port to NYC and $70-80 NYC to EWR.
Thanks, greatam. Would that be by cab? Even in Friday morning traffic do you think it would around $100? Or could it run more? I guess it would depend on traffic. Definitely better check into a private car service.

I was thinking about $100 each way and if I can get a hotel for <$150 it would be worth it to us for the convenience.

I think I'll start looking for something between ESB and Rockefeller Center. I found Comfort Inn Midtown (46th @ Broadway) for $135.

Love that La Quinta rate of $112 though. How far is it from ESB to Rockefeller Center? Is it walkable? Looks to be about a mile??? And then how far from Rockefeller Center to Central Park? We're hoping to explore the southern part of the park just to say we've been. ;)

Here's Meg's blog: http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

For $2/pp you can ride the bus up 6th Avenue to Rockefeller Center from your hotel and return back down 5th Avenue. It will be February, so it could be really cold walking. However, there is lots of public transportation that will take you wherever you need to go.

Thanks, greatam. Would that be by cab? Even in Friday morning traffic do you think it would around $100? Or could it run more? I guess it would depend on traffic. Definitely better check into a private car service.

I was thinking about $100 each way and if I can get a hotel for <$150 it would be worth it to us for the convenience.

You don't want to try to take a cab from the port. NJ cab drivers DO NOT have to take you into Manhattan from the port. They make more money doing 2 or 3 trips from the port to EWR than they will make taking you into Manhattan. So you have to negotiate to find a taxi driver that will even take you.

There are a lot of car services listed in this forum. Dial 7, Carmel, etc. etc.

On the way back to EWR, DO NOT allow your hotel to arrange a car service. Do it yourself. Very often, hotels tack on a "service charge". I have been burned a couple of times allowing the concierge to get a car service for me. My laziness cost me A LOT!!! One time-jacked the price from $30 to $60.00 (LGA Crowne Plaza).

Thank you, Carol and greatam for all the great info.

I have booked Comfort Inn Midtown for $125 (46th St near 6th Ave). It gets great reviews on Trip Advisor and the location is much better for what we want to do.

Will now start researching car services.

Carol - also thanks for the link to Meg's blog spot. I've been meaning to check that out too. :)

Hiya!

seems greatam and carol answered most of the questions.................

so...........let us know if you need anything else.........

Thanks, Meg! Just checked out your blog and raves about Black Executive Car service and just sent them an email for some quotes.

My DH is just rolling his eyes at me doing all this planning so far out. :D But after nearly 35 years of marriage he knows this is the way I do it! :p ;) I love the planning, he doesn't. But he sure enjoys the trips and admits I'm a darn good trip planner. So it all works out. :cool:

You three are such a valuable source of information here on the East Departures forum. I'm sure y'all haven't heard the last of me but I wanted to let you know that you are all greatly appreciated by all! :)

Archived