How Many Formal Nights On A 12 Night Cruise?

Typically a 12 day cruise calls for 2 formal nights, but some European itineraries add an extra formal night to make it 3. On our Mediterranean cruise we had an extra formal night in Venice which made it very special as everyone also had to wear a mask.

"For 10- to 12-night cruises, expect three formal nights and three smart casual (all others are casual)." This is from the Royal Caribbean TA Guide/008-2009 Cruise Vacation Planner, p. A-15.

I am going on an 11 night Panama cruise next year and I am wondering if this will be the case, sometimes one can never tell until you are already on the ship and it is too late to pack that extra dress.

I am going on an 11 night Panama cruise next year and I am wondering if this will be the case, sometimes one can never tell until you are already on the ship and it is too late to pack that extra dress.
Jewel 11-nt PC cruise in Feb. '09 was 2 formal nights. I don't know if they will change it for next year.

When I was on Brilliance 12-nt Greek Isles cruise in 2005, there were 2 formal nights but the alternating itinerary to Venice had 3 formal nights. Legend 13-nt itinerary last May had 3 formal nights.

Why am I NOT surprised that they aren't following their own printed guidelines? :confused:
Probably because they have multiple guides. The website offers different advice from your TA guide. Here's the information on the website and the link to the page I copied from:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=00008BF95rltY6zKJClZmnCbAoD:12hdhu93n?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

Cruise Length---Casual----Smart Casual-----Formal

3-night-----------2------------0---------------1

4-night-----------3------------0---------------1

5-night-----------3------------1---------------1

6-night-----------3------------1---------------2

7-night-----------4------------1---------------2

8-night-----------4------------2---------------2

9-night-----------5------------2---------------2

10-night----------6------------2---------------2

11-night----------7------------2---------------2

12-night* --------8------------2---------------2

13-night----------9------------2---------------2

14-night----------8------------3---------------3

15-night+ Remaining Casual-----3---------------3

Note: *Some 12-night European cruises may have 3 formal nights

We had 3 formal nights on the Legend Italy itinerary last May so it didn't follow the schedule on the website either. Of course, they do add the disclaminer that the number of formal and smart casual nights is at the ship's discretion. I have to admit that it would make packing easier if they would actually publish a single schedule of fomal/casual/smart casual nights and actually stick with it.

I also wish they would be more specific about a given cruise, especially when they send or email the cruise documents. We usually bring our formal wear, but on several of the last cruises they skip the "smart casual" nights, for which we brought a 3rd set of outfits. If it's just going to be casual and formal, please let us know.

Penny

I was just wondering about this.......icon5.gif

I am sure there are MANY of you who know the answer......:D :D

Thank you for your replies.icon14.gif :)

Hi Suesan Jean,

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ususally have three formal nights on 12 night cruises.

Long black skirt and different tops or wraps can substitute for three (heavy) formal gowns if you are flying. Stay away from beaded tops unless you take only one!

Have a great cruise!:)

Archived