What kind of flight carryon (Rome airport) to keep stuff safe from thieves?

We're flying in and out of Rome for a cruise and are staying at a Rome hotel before & after. I plan to wear a money pouch under my clothes while we're touring. I've read a lot of threads about thefts in the airports and I'm not sure what kind of carryon would be best.

We plan to take a taxi from FCO airport to our Rome hotel. My flight carryon will contain my cameras, netbook, prescriptions, and other items too important/valuable to pack in checked luggage? I'm considering buying a smaller PacSafe backpack just for the flying part of the trip (and wearing it on my front), but I'm afraid that might call more attention to me. I've read that they'll just slit the fabric of regular bags/backpacks and remove items that way. Theives of course know that the most valuable items will be in the carryon bag and not the checked luggage.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

If you are taking a taxi I would not worry excessively. Although there may be a few opportunists, there are not gangs of thieves wandering the Rome airport with knives to slit open your bags. You'd be more likely encounter problems on the train or at Termini.

I suggest the smartest approach is to find a luggage system that will allow you to strap your carry-on securely to your larger suitcase, then keep your hands (and your eyes as much as possible) on them at all times. A thief wants to grab and run. If you make it so that he can't grab something small and make off with it, he will find another target.

We're flying in and out of Rome for a cruise and are staying at a Rome hotel before & after. I plan to wear a money pouch under my clothes while we're touring. I've read a lot of threads about thefts in the airports and I'm not sure what kind of carryon would be best.

We plan to take a taxi from FCO airport to our Rome hotel. My flight carryon will contain my cameras, netbook, prescriptions, and other items too important/valuable to pack in checked luggage? I'm considering buying a smaller PacSafe backpack just for the flying part of the trip (and wearing it on my front), but I'm afraid that might call more attention to me. I've read that they'll just slit the fabric of regular bags/backpacks and remove items that way. Theives of course know that the most valuable items will be in the carryon bag and not the checked luggage.

I've been to Italy several times...by myself & w/friends...traveled via Bus & Train from North to South and was never in fear of having someone 'slitting open' my carryon or walking away/stealing ANY of my belongings! If you let common sense prevail you should have no problem. Have you had much experience traveling in the past?

Yes, there are theives who prey on unsuspecting tourists---particularly on buses/trains going to top tourists sites (Vatican, etc.) and in & around the popular areas frequented by tourists. If you have any 'street-smarts' at all you'll be fine. Remember to keep an eye on your suitcases, etc. at all times & DO NOT be distracted by nearby 'commotions'.

***Prepare ahead of time by reading about the various 'scams' that are perpetrated on treavlers world-wide (much info can be found in many places on the internet). Forewarned is Forearmed!

I had no problem; of course I was just a 17 year old kid then.

But Travel Smith and/or Magellans catalogs have bags with wire inbedded in straps. So they cannot be slashed and taken.

Good luck and safe travels.

... Have you had much experience traveling in the past?...

If you have any 'street-smarts' at all you'll be fine. Remember to keep an eye on your suitcases, etc. at all times & DO NOT be distracted by nearby 'commotions'. Prepare ahead of time by reading about the various 'scams' that are perpetrated on treavlers world-wide (much info can be found in many places on the internet). Forewarned is Forearmed

We've traveled a lot around the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America (16 cruises) but haven't ever been to Europe which sounds totally different.

I think I may have actually read too many stories about scams and incidents! All those have me very concerned.

We've traveled a lot around the Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America (16 cruises) but haven't ever been to Europe which sounds totally different.

I think I may have actually read too many stories about scams and incidents! All those have me very concerned.

I have been to Italy before and never had a problem. It is the same as in any big city, be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine. It is not as bad as everybody is trying to let you believe. Just be smart and have a great time.

Wear jeans or pants that are semi tight keep all money in front pockets. Do not flash money or credit cards, if possible keep your spending money on one side and credit cards on the other front pocket. make photo copies of your passport and keep with you leave real passport on ship or in hotel safe

I'm considering buying a smaller PacSafe backpack just for the flying part of the trip (and wearing it on my front), but I'm afraid that might call more attention to me. I've read that they'll just slit the fabric of regular bags/backpacks and remove items that way. Theives of course know that the most valuable items will be in the carryon bag and not the checked luggage.

PacSafe products are built with a strong mesh embedded in the vulnerable places to discourage slashing. If you're not comfortable with a backpack (and you'll see a lot more there than here in the US), they make many other types of carry-ons with lockable zippers. Get one with a long enough strap to wear across your chest, and you can have hands free for other luggage.

Wear jeans or pants that are semi tight keep all money in front pockets. Do not flash money or credit cards, if possible keep your spending money on one side and credit cards on the other front pocket. make photo copies of your passport and keep with you leave real passport on ship or in hotel safe

Is it not safe to keep your passport in your hotel room in a locked suitcase? Or do you have to keep it in the hotel safe? I always make copies

Thanks

If you are taking a taxi I would not worry excessively. Although there may be a few opportunists, there are not gangs of thieves wandering the Rome airport with knives to slit open your bags. You'd be more likely encounter problems on the train or at Termini.

I suggest the smartest approach is to find a luggage system that will allow you to strap your carry-on securely to your larger suitcase, then keep your hands (and your eyes as much as possible) on them at all times. A thief wants to grab and run. If you make it so that he can't grab something small and make off with it, he will find another target.

I completely agree.

Yes, things can happen but just be smart and aware. Keep things close to the body and a close eye on your luggage. I've travelled to Rome alone (I'm a girl with a fair amount of luggage) and have taken the train from the airport to Termini (as well as the local trains) and NEVER did I feel anxious about the surroundings or people. Personally, I've had more close calls/dangerous scenarios in Chicago (where I live), San Francisco (where I've lived) and New York than I've ever had in Europe or Rome for that matter.

For siteseeing in busy places like Rome, I like to wear pocketbooks or handbags that have a strap that wrap around the body or a tote bag the is securely under the arms instead of a bag that can easily be pulled from the hands. Good luck!

Is it not safe to keep your passport in your hotel room in a locked suitcase? Or do you have to keep it in the hotel safe? I always make copies

Thanks

Maids, maint men random room break ins are possible not probable. But the hotel safe is usual the safest as there would be liability on the hotel if anything goes missing. by leaving in the room it is harder to prove.

We just returned from a cruise ending with 3 days in Rome. I had purchased a PacSafe bag and was disappointed to have it slashed on the metro in Athens. When I returned home I looked at the warranty and found that here is metal mesh in the bottom and in the strap but not on the ends. Luckily my valuables were safely zipped in all the wonderful little pockets of the bag and the main portion of the bag just contained my water, guidebook, etc.

We used moneybelts only when we had to carry our passports,credit cards, ATM cards and lots of cash. Most of the time we left those things safely in the safe in our cabin on the ship or in the safe in our hotel.

We just returned from a cruise ending with 3 days in Rome. I had purchased a PacSafe bag and was disappointed to have it slashed on the metro in Athens. When I returned home I looked at the warranty and found that here is metal mesh in the bottom and in the strap but not on the ends. Luckily my valuables were safely zipped in all the wonderful little pockets of the bag and the main portion of the bag just contained my water, guidebook, etc.

We used moneybelts only when we had to carry our passports,credit cards, ATM cards and lots of cash. Most of the time we left those things safely in the safe in our cabin on the ship or in the safe in our hotel.

That's horrible that your new PacSafe bag was slashed! I've studied the diagrams on their website and it shows where the metal liner is. I'm sure the crooks also know exactly where to cut! I hesitate to spend all that money for one of their backpacks and then have it slashed.

I am mainly concerned about my carryon in the Rome airport before and after the cruise. At that point we will have all our luggage and the important carryon with us. We'll also be worn out from the long flight and will probably be overwhelmed at the airport. Did you have the same kind of concerns at the airport?

Last year, we were 2 days pre-cruise in Rome. I LOST (my fault) a small wallet card holder which had, my ATM card, a credit card, a wallet sized copy of my passport, and about $50 "walking around" money. I also had a business card from our B&B. When I returned to the B&B that evening, the owner told me someone had found the packet and turned it into the ticket office at the Forum. The ticket seller saw the business card and called the B&B. She took me to get it, and it was all there, minus the $50. Not everyone is out to rip us off. Be careful and have fun.

You've read enough to know to be cautious, and are there opportunistic thieves, likely yes. They also likely can spot the vunerable tourist a mile away. You sound like a veteran, and if nothing has happened in the past you are likely not the opportunistic and vunerable tourst ;). Europe is different but not more dangerous then some of the other places you've likely been. People love to tell their horror story and they make much more drama then those of smart people who say be smart and have had nothing happen to them :D

Be smart, wear valuables close on your body, keep a tight watch on your luaggage. Be in public place with lots of visability if you see gang of people approach move quickly and show awarness. No different then if you are in NYC or Rome or Barcelona. Good common sense, don't wander down isolated streets, get squeezed tightly in bus/train etc. etc.

At the risk of reopening a long-running debate, I always recommend carrying your original passport (no, a photocopy will NOT do). For reasons why: http://terpnut.blogspot.com/2009/04/carry-your-passport.html

Maids, maint men random room break ins are possible not probable. But the hotel safe is usual the safest as there would be liability on the hotel if anything goes missing. by leaving in the room it is harder to prove.
Certainly the room safe is better than in your luggage, however no hotel will ever assume liability for valuables left in the room safe. The safe is provided solely for your convenience but if something goes missing, you are no more likely to recover damages from the hotel than from the homeless man outside. The best place for your passport is on your person at all times.

I have a question when you say the mesh isn't at the ends? From the diagram on their web site it looks like the mesh covers the entire back and bottom of the bag?

Thanks.

Ron

Certainly the room safe is better than in your luggage, however no hotel will ever assume liability for valuables left in the room safe. The safe is provided solely for your convenience but if something goes missing, you are no more likely to recover damages from the hotel than from the homeless man outside. The best place for your passport is on your person at all times.

Perhaps if I were travelling alone, I would more likely feel the need for my passport on my person when I am rushed to the hospital and the other events you cite in your blog. Photocopies have worked for me for many years.

Re: liability: so what? I'm a lawyer, and I write that CYA language all the time for clients. One is hardly likely to engage in litigation in a foreign country over a passport.

Also, I would like to see one confirmed story of a passport stolen out of a locked room safe. Hardly the item that the ubiquitous room safe thieves covet!!

We just returned from a med cruise with 3 days in Rome, had a pacsafe backpack (bought half off at rei-outlet, might still be available), and hubby wore neck pouch. Never had any problems or saw anything even remotely suspious in Rome or any of our stops and took lots of trains and metros, but no buses. The backpack is nice, but very hot, my hubby was drenched were the pac sat on his back!

You've read enough to know to be cautious, and are there opportunistic thieves, likely yes. They also likely can spot the vunerable tourist a mile away. You sound like a veteran, and if nothing has happened in the past you are likely not the opportunistic and vunerable tourst ;) ...

Now that I watched some of the videos on YouTube (thanks cruzisme for mentioning them) I'm even more worried! DH has bad knees and can't walk fast. He would be more likely than the average person to trip or fall if someone does one of those bump manuevers into him. By the way, DH said he won't carry a wallet on this trip.

What do you think about this idea -- is it good to have worthless stuff in some outside pockets (such as small envelopes with irrelevant papers in them) so they can grab that? It sounds like they leave quickly after stealing something.

I have a question when you say the mesh isn't at the ends? From the diagram on their web site it looks like the mesh covers the entire back and bottom of the bag?

Thanks.

Ron

It was not slashed on the bottom or the back. It was slashed on the end. If I had been holding it entirely in front of me it would not have been slashed but it was under my arm with one end sort of behind me on a crowded subway. It I had been aware that there was a vulnerable area I would have been more careful.

Perhaps if I were travelling alone, I would more likely feel the need for my passport on my person when I am rushed to the hospital and the other events you cite in your blog. Photocopies have worked for me for many years.

Re: liability: so what? I'm a lawyer, and I write that CYA language all the time for clients. One is hardly likely to engage in litigation in a foreign country over a passport.

Also, I would like to see one confirmed story of a passport stolen out of a locked room safe. Hardly the item that the ubiquitous room safe thieves covet!!

We have some friends who had their room safe removed from their room along with everything in it while they were away from the room.They were in Spain. Can't remember the city. The safe was removed from the wall by brutal force of some kind. The next day however, all their documents (minus the cash) were thrown back into the hotel room through an open window. Highly unlikely for this to happen but it did. I however still leave my passport in my hotel room safe.

It was not slashed on the bottom or the back. It was slashed on the end. If I had been holding it entirely in front of me it would not have been slashed but it was under my arm with one end sort of behind me on a crowded subway. It I had been aware that there was a vulnerable area I would have been more careful.

Ok, you are referring to the bag, not the backpack.

Thanks

Ron

Archived