20th anniversary cruise

I have a few years to save up for my 20th anniversary (Feb 2013). Debating on doing a longer carribean cruise or waiting for summer and doing an Alaska Cruise.

All of our cruises have been carribean (Sovereign, Brillance, Freedom) and wouldn't mind doing that again. We are going on Oasis Nov 2010, so our cruise after that will be the 20th Anniversary.

What would you do?

I would always pick warm weather over cold....but that's just me! Don't forget about airfare to the Alaskan gateway ports....expensive!!

Caribbean cruises are totally different from Alaskan cruises. The point of Alaska is to see the sights---you're off the ship alot, doing excursions, sightseeing, etc...

Caribbean cruises are more for relaxing---(once you've seen a tropical island, you've pretty much seen 'em all!) and not so much for sightseeing. Excursions are much cheaper (if you even need one) and the weather is more conducive to using the ship's outside facilities (pools!!!)

I guess it really depends what "floats your boat"!

We did 2 5 nights on the Navigator last month for our 25th Anniversary. On the 2nd one we booked a Family Suite and invited the wifes sister and new husband to join us. Expensive but well worth it. Then had a big do back here for all the family.

I have a few years to save up for my 20th anniversary (Feb 2013). Debating on doing a longer carribean cruise or waiting for summer and doing an Alaska Cruise.

All of our cruises have been carribean (Sovereign, Brillance, Freedom) and wouldn't mind doing that again. We are going on Oasis Nov 2010, so our cruise after that will be the 20th Anniversary.

What would you do?

I would do something grand and out of the ordinary. I would do Alaska or Europe. BUT, you could always do a back to back Caribbean, or something like that too.

My choice would also be to do a Med Cruise. It's very romantic and outstanding sightseeing. If possible anything a bit longer than 7 days would be nice 8-10.

I personal don't have Alaska planned anytime soon. Just prefer the warmer climate....IMHO.

A 20th anniversary marks a once-in-a-lifetime sort of event - why not pair it with a once-in-a-lifetime cruise? I would choose Europe - the Mediterranean or Northern Europe areas. You said you did Caribbean several times before - there really wouldn't be anything special about that to help make the anniversary extra memorable. Alaska is nice, but for me, not the right 'spirit' for an anniversary celebration.

We did 2 5 nights on the Navigator last month for our 25th Anniversary. On the 2nd one we booked a Family Suite and invited the wifes sister and new husband to join us. Expensive but well worth it. Then had a big do back here for all the family.

we will be on nos in nov from malaga for our 5oth anniversary.....did they do anything special for you on board the ship...hope you have lots more lovely times jean

I have no desire to go to Alaska (although DD usedto live there) .... we have way too much cold weather and snow here to want to go anywhere in the summer months that also has snow.

I think that a Europe or Med cruise would be wonderful. Whatever you decide, enjoy your adventure. Jan

Hi,

Have just got back from celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary cruising around Eastern Europea on Splendour of the Seas. Had a fabulous time, spent the anniversary on the island of Mykonos which was beautiful, especially paradise beach. We started off in Venice, Split (Croatia), Corfu, Athens, Mykonos & Katakolon. All very different ports with something great to offer. We were upgraded to Deck 8 cabin too and had a cake complete with celebratory singing from the waiters.

Wish I was there now!

Made some great friends.

My hubby and I went on a Southern Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Cruise line. Our anniversary is in March so we wanted somewhere warm and we'd never done the southern caribbean. We also splurged on a suite with butler service. It was definitely a memorable anniversary. I just booked our 25th anniversary cruise for next April. We will again be doing the southern caribbean, but we will be on the Adventure of the Seas and we'll have the kids with us. There are a couple islands on that itinerary we haven't been to. I'm sure #25 will be as memorable as #20 was.

Most important - whatever you choose - have fun and enjoy each other's company!

This is such a personal decision, and yet you are getting loads of opinions. And here's one more. We are celebrating our 40th anniversary and my 60th birthday on a 10-nt Mexican Riviera cruise next March. We wanted a nice atmosphere and a warm climate, as well as something different than the Caribbean itineraries that we've done many times. Whichever itinerary you choose, have a wonderful time!

Karen

I haven't priced out Med cruises. I would think they would be more expensive than Alaska. I did see a Australia cruise but was thinking for 25th. That would take me a while to save up for. The nice thing by then we should be debt free (inc mortgage) so it does become more doable

Archived