How Much Compensation?

In the lastest news on the P&O website, they have said they will compensate the current passengers for the change of itineary.

What does everyone think a fair amount of compensation should be?

Deidre.:)

On Carnival (P&O's parent company) it's a US$25 per person credit to your shipboard account if you miss a port. When we missed Roatan, Honduras on Holland America (due to civil unrest) they credit the port taxes to our ship board account (a whopping US$6.30) and gave us a free glass of champers with dinner. No doubt P&O Australia would be tighter! :D

we had friends just come back on Monday from the Pacific Dawn, they were supposed to go to 3 ports and they only got to go to one port, they were not offered any compo for missing out on 2 ports

rkmw

Why does everyone think they should be 'compensated' for everything these days.

The ship has no control over weather which is usually the cause of cancellations to ports of call on a cruise. Why should they have to compensate passengers for that.:rolleyes:

Jillybean:)

I am booked for the next PD cruise - 28 nights Tahitian Treasures departing 4th June. I know what is going on - I know the ship has had passengers and crew with swine flu and I know that we may not be allowed to disembark at some ports as Australia is now listed as a a county infected with swine flu. Knowing all this I am making the informed decision to take my chances and go on this cruise (fingers, toes and eyes crossed that it still goes ahead!)

Everyone going on this cruise must be aware of the situation - we are bombarded with it every waking moment by the media so I will be really angry if people, who like me, decide to go then start whinging and screaming for compensation if things don't turn out as well as we would like them to.

Please wish us all good luck and a swine flu free 28 nights of eating, drinking and being merry,

Georgina

Why does everyone think they should be 'compensated' for everything these days.

The ship has no control over weather which is usually the cause of cancellations to ports of call on a cruise. Why should they have to compensate passengers for that.:rolleyes:

Jillybean:)

Well said, Jillybean:)

I am booked for the next PD cruise - 28 nights Tahitian Treasures departing 4th June. I know what is going on - I know the ship has had passengers and crew with swine flu and I know that we may not be allowed to disembark at some ports as Australia is now listed as a a county infected with swine flu. Knowing all this I am making the informed decision to take my chances and go on this cruise (fingers, toes and eyes crossed that it still goes ahead!)

Everyone going on this cruise must be aware of the situation - we are bombarded with it every waking moment by the media so I will be really angry if people, who like me, decide to go then start whinging and screaming for compensation if things don't turn out as well as we would like them to.

Please wish us all good luck and a swine flu free 28 nights of eating, drinking and being merry,

Georgina

Hi Georgina,

I hope if the ship has no cases of swine flu after the first three days (the incubation period) that all the ports will gladly let the Pacific Dawn dock. Your cruise has a great itinerary, so have a fantastic time.

Evon.

Georgina

So if you end up spending 28 days at sea with no ports to visit you will be ok about it? and not expect anything from P&O

I wish you a great cruise and a great holiday,with all the luck that you need.

den

Have found P&O's Terms And Conditions on their website:

http://www.pocruises.com.au/html/p_ocruises_australia.cfm

Ship & itinerary changes

We will do everything we reasonably can to make sure everything goes according to plan; however, sometimes changes can happen that may affect your holiday experience. This could include weather, mechanical difficulties, civil unrest or any other unforeseen circumstances.

In addition, we may charter all or part of the ship or remove the ship from service where this becomes necessary. We may change the itinerary, ship or cancel the cruise due to operational or commercial requirements.

We will notify you of these changes as soon as we can. Where we cancel a cruise or make a significant change to the ports in your itinerary prior to departure, you will have the choice of:

• the new itinerary;

• an alternative cruise of comparable standard, if available; or

• cancelling the cruise for a full refund of your fare.

Once your cruise has commenced, if we are required to change the itinerary or cancel the cruise due to safety, maritime law, severe weather or to protect human life or health, we are not required to provide any compensation. With this in mind, please do not make any important arrangements or meetings based on the proposed itinerary.

Have found P&O's Terms And Conditions on their website:

http://www.pocruises.com.au/html/p_ocruises_australia.cfm

Ship & itinerary changes

We will do everything we reasonably can to make sure everything goes according to plan; however, sometimes changes can happen that may affect your holiday experience. This could include weather, mechanical difficulties, civil unrest or any other unforeseen circumstances.

In addition, we may charter all or part of the ship or remove the ship from service where this becomes necessary. We may change the itinerary, ship or cancel the cruise due to operational or commercial requirements.

We will notify you of these changes as soon as we can. Where we cancel a cruise or make a significant change to the ports in your itinerary prior to departure, you will have the choice of:

• the new itinerary;

• an alternative cruise of comparable standard, if available; or

• cancelling the cruise for a full refund of your fare.

Once your cruise has commenced, if we are required to change the itinerary or cancel the cruise due to safety, maritime law, severe weather or to protect human life or health, we are not required to provide any compensation. With this in mind, please do not make any important arrangements or meetings based on the proposed itinerary.

Ms Sherry apologised to passengers for any disappointment or inconvenience the itinerary change has caused. She said passengers would be compensated for the change of schedule.

Although the terms and conditions are clear. I hope in this instance the passangers will be compensated. Especially now it looks like they will miss out on 3 whole days.

Deidre.

Well said, Jillybean:)

While i think it is unfortunate as far as compensation goes perhaps as someone mentioned a goodwill letter for the future, a few on board treats (bottle of champ, cruise credit, etc). If the people could not get on the boat or P&) offered no activities whatsoever it would be a different story.

These are risks that we all take when holidaying whether it is cruising, flying or staying at a resort. It is just like say for instance all those involved were staying at a resort and the day they checked in people checked out who had swine flu, the cleaning processes on board a cruise ship (irrespective of the company) are probably more thorough, a cruise ship shouldn't have to compensate anymore than what would happen in a situation like this. It sounded better in my head, its late, so hopefully it makes sense. Whilst events like these are unforeseeable they do exist.

Besides what was mentioned above from people when they were on other ships it would probably be unrealistic to expect massive refunds or anything like that. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if there was something arranged to reimburse or to lift the spirits of those onboard.

While i think it is unfortunate as far as compensation goes perhaps as someone mentioned a goodwill letter for the future, a few on board treats (bottle of champ, cruise credit, etc). If the people could not get on the boat or P&) offered no activities whatsoever it would be a different story.

These are risks that we all take when holidaying whether it is cruising, flying or staying at a resort. It is just like say for instance all those involved were staying at a resort and the day they checked in people checked out who had swine flu, the cleaning processes on board a cruise ship (irrespective of the company) are probably more thorough, a cruise ship shouldn't have to compensate anymore than what would happen in a situation like this. It sounded better in my head, its late, so hopefully it makes sense. Whilst events like these are unforeseeable they do exist.

Besides what was mentioned above from people when they were on other ships it would probably be unrealistic to expect massive refunds or anything like that. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if there was something arranged to reimburse or to lift the spirits of those onboard.

There should be compensation for the days missed on board, therefore a % of the fare paid,I think that that is the least P&O should offer.

Regards Frank.

Ms Sherry apologised to passengers for any disappointment or inconvenience the itinerary change has caused. She said passengers would be compensated for the change of schedule.

Although the terms and conditions are clear. I hope in this instance the passangers will be compensated. Especially now it looks like they will miss out on 3 whole days.

Deidre.

Thanks for the correction. I must have missed that bit of news that Ms Sherry has confirmed compensation.

Have the passengers even stopped at any of the ports?

Hopefully passengers receive a generous compensation, maybe a 50% off voucher for their next cruise?

There should be compensation for the days missed on board, therefore a % of the fare paid,I think that that is the least P&O should offer.

Regards Frank.

Hi Frank

I think you are right :).

My friends onboard have received a $100 obc so far ;) The ship is now only stopping at Brisbane (where some of the passengers who live in Brisbane have decided to leave the ship early). They are cutting the cruise short and returning to Sydney 3 days earlier. My friends have already been on a cruise and picked this one for the ports so I think that it is only fair that they get compensated because no one could have predicted this would happen.

We were on the Dawn from 16th to 25th May and rkmw said we were supposed to do 3 ports and only did one.That is wrong.We went to Vila and were supposed to go to Ouvea but because of civil unrest we went to Lifou instead.So we did 2 ports and only missed one (Isle of Pines) due to high seas and not being able to get tender into ports.Admittedly they were'nt the ports we were supposed to go to but we did two ports not one.

Jackie

Regards Frank.

Definately and P&O have always paid that when a cruise has been cut short. I agree that passengers on this current cruise should be compensated and I have no doubt that they will. However, I don't think anyone should expect compensation for missing a port due to bad weather or mechanical problems.

Definately and P&O have always paid that when a cruise has been cut short. I agree that passengers on this current cruise should be compensated and I have no doubt that they will. However, I don't think anyone should expect compensation for missing a port due to bad weather or mechanical problems.

I agree. I think P & O will look after the passengers on this occasion.

I don't like the recent trend that as soon as things don't go totally to plan, people scream "compensation". By the way, I am not referring to this current Pacific Dawn cruise with this comment. :):)

Evon.

Hi Evon,

Yes I agree too. If you were on an island resort and it rained for 3 days and you couldn't do a lot of activites etc. you wouldn't ask the resort for money back, or discounts off your next holiday.

Current cruise excluded.

Deidre.

me finks they will get a tad more:D;):cool:.............

hey les how you been not long till your Crown Princess cruise......so exciting..........have a fabulous time........cheers shiona

Hi Shiona, fly out to Rome Sat 6 June. Embark CP 10 June for B2B, yes used the 20% discount letter from Sun Princess.

Now re PD - heard from another source they have all got $100 OBC to spend before Monday when they dock in Brisvegas, 3 days early.!

Re compo..you cannot expect it for missing ports due to weather, we missed 3 last year on SP, Exmouth, Geraldton and Cooktown, just bad luck. However for operational issues such as poor tendering ops which happened to us at Cairns/Townsville, then they might cough up, which they did to every one on board getting a 20% discount off next cruise 'goodwill letter.'

Just read this on the news:

It is due to dock in Brisbane tomorrow, three days ahead of schedule, before continuing to Sydney.

P&O said the 2000 passengers already had been given onboard spending credits and would be offered a "financial package" as compensation for the shortened cruise and missed stops in Queensland.

Passenger David Geers, 48, from Alderley in Brisbane's northwest, said he was still "unsure" as to whether he would receive any financial reimbursement or compensation after spending nearly $5000 on a "very disappointing" holiday.

"The mood on the ship has changed a little bit," Mr Geers said.

"There's a lot of talk about a proposed compensation package but I'm sure we'll get some sort of refund. What the compensation is though is another matter so I can see it being a fight to get the compensation."

Article link: http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,25554855-5014090,00.html

Archived