How Much Compensation?

Just read this on the news:

It is due to dock in Brisbane tomorrow, three days ahead of schedule, before continuing to Sydney.

P&O said the 2000 passengers already had been given onboard spending credits and would be offered a "financial package" as compensation for the shortened cruise and missed stops in Queensland.

Passenger David Geers, 48, from Alderley in Brisbane's northwest, said he was still "unsure" as to whether he would receive any financial reimbursement or compensation after spending nearly $5000 on a "very disappointing" holiday.

"The mood on the ship has changed a little bit," Mr Geers said.

"There's a lot of talk about a proposed compensation package but I'm sure we'll get some sort of refund. What the compensation is though is another matter so I can see it being a fight to get the compensation."

Article link: http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,25554855-5014090,00.html

I will have a guess and say $1000 compo per passenger. But as LuckiePuris said, there will be fights for compo, some pax will not happy with whatever is offered by Carnival Australia.

I think you will find the compensation package will be a

75% refund and 25% credit off a future cruise to be taken within the next 12 months.

Please don't ask how l know this, l am unable to disclose.

But l can say there are now some legal issues for P&O and they have a major PR disaster to recover from.

75% refund and 25% credit off a future cruise to be taken within the next 12 months.

Please don't ask how l know this, l am unable to disclose.

But l can say there are now some legal issues for P&O and they have a major PR disaster to recover from.

Thanks Jaffa, mums the word. You mean Carnival Australia has some big legal issues and a PR disaster. Don't forget the BIG 'C' (Carniva)l owns P&O, Princess, Cunard and others.!

Cruise passengers to seek compensation net posting time 10.30 am

P&O spokeswoman Sandy Olsen said the Pacific Dawn had been given a clean bill of health to set sail from Sydney, and it had no reason then to believe any crew members had flu symptoms.

She said that while the cruise operator was not obliged to pay compensation, it would, as a gesture of goodwill, offer each passenger a 75 per cent reimbursement of their fare. It would also offer a 25 per cent discount on their next cruise.

http://www.optuszoo.com.au/article/news/news_latest/news_latest_theaustralian/7674040/cruise-passengers-to-seek-compensation.html

interesting

Cruise passengers to seek compensation net posting time 10.30 am

P&O spokeswoman Sandy Olsen said the Pacific Dawn had been given a clean bill of health to set sail from Sydney, and it had no reason then to believe any crew members had flu symptoms.

She said that while the cruise operator was not obliged to pay compensation, it would, as a gesture of goodwill, offer each passenger a 75 per cent reimbursement of their fare. It would also offer a 25 per cent discount on their next cruise.

http://www.optuszoo.com.au/article/news/news_latest/news_latest_theaustralian/7674040/cruise-passengers-to-seek-compensation.html

interesting

Good on P & O. :):) I see the cruiseline as an innocent victim in this whole scenario as they try to manage a very very difficult situation. Once this swine flu problem started, P & O were in a 'no-win' situation. They didn't invent the virus or take it onto the ship. It was taken on board (unknowingly) by a five year old boy.

I hope our cruisehips can remain virus free so everyone can enjoy their cruise.

Evon.

I think that sounds quite decent for the situation. It's going to be a difficult situation all round, costing the cruise line plenty, but also damaging people's holidays which money will not necessarily be able to cover (e.g. if you have limited leave or a special event).

The 75% compo was mentioned on Channel 10's lunchtime news, so doesnt look to be any ~secret~....of course by the time we watch Channel 9 and Channel 7 tonight I bet there are all sorts of different "quotes"!! :rolleyes:

This is what was in the Courier Mail:

Passengers are to receive a 75 per cent reimbursement of the cruise fare paid and an additional 25 per cent that could be used as credit on a future cruise.

They have already received a $100 onboard credit

This is what was in the Courier Mail:

Passengers are to receive a 75 per cent reimbursement of the cruise fare paid and an additional 25 per cent that could be used as credit on a future cruise.

They have already received a $100 onboard credit

that is right and is P&O,s site http://www.pocruises.com.au/html/strict-measures-continue-on-pacific-dawn.cfm

Still don't completely see why P&O should be paying the refund. Don't get me wrong I think it is a good offer and yes some will like it some won't. But at the end of the day it is the NSW Health Department that gave them the all clear to sail and they even have their own staff on board. I'd like to see the passengers or P&O sue the NSW government for allowing this to happen. P&O now have to clean up the mess.

Hopefully everyone on this cruise has had a good time anyway (photos in paper look like they are), they've been fed, had their beds made, entertained, obc and now a refund. The bonus will be that they don't contract any illnesses.

I'm still looking forward to my cruises.

Cheers

Jingles.:)

i think over the coming day/weeks, we will see what people on the cruise realy think, im shore that there be plenty of interviews happing, i could be wrong may be,

Still don't completely see why P&O should be paying the refund. Don't get me wrong I think it is a good offer and yes some will like it some won't. But at the end of the day it is the NSW Health Department that gave them the all clear to sail and they even have their own staff on board. I'd like to see the passengers or P&O sue the NSW government for allowing this to happen. P&O now have to clean up the mess.

Hopefully everyone on this cruise has had a good time anyway (photos in paper look like they are), they've been fed, had their beds made, entertained, obc and now a refund. The bonus will be that they don't contract any illnesses.

I'm still looking forward to my cruises.

Cheers

Jingles.:)

Well said. :) There will be a small number who will complain long and loud and these will be the ones the media will focus on. They won't want to talk to the passengers who have made the best of it.

Evon.

hopfully with a little bit of luck they do show both side ( the good and the bad)

No they won't. It wouldn't make a good story to have someone say that they enjoyed the cruise even though it wasn't what they had booked, or if they dared to say something nice about P & O. :D

Evon.

No they won't. It wouldn't make a good story to have someone say that they enjoyed the cruise even though it wasn't what they had booked, or if they dared to say something nice about P & O. :D

Evon.

yes i agree with you but i was only wishing they would:)

Just read on P&O website, compensation for passengers on this cruise is $100 on-ship credit (already paid), 25% off next booked cruise and 75% reimbursement of cost of this cruise. If this is the case "WELL DONE P&O". You are really making a statement that you do place the passengers above profits. Especially in a situation like this that is completely out of you control. Unfortunately, I bet that this fantastic and generous offer wont make the headlines.

Still don't completely see why P&O should be paying the refund. Don't get me wrong I think it is a good offer and yes some will like it some won't. But at the end of the day it is the NSW Health Department that gave them the all clear to sail and they even have their own staff on board.

Can't see why the government should repay a commercial issue. NSW Health didn't say to go cruise, they just didn't hold them any further. P&O could have quite easily said, no, we need to wait for a bit longer as much as the government did, but they made the decision to cruise. It's up to them to make their own risk assessment for their commercial activities.

And it's not as though P&O would pay any bonus profits to the government from the cruise if they got it right...!

I'd like to see the passengers or P&O sue the NSW government for allowing this to happen.

Based on what I've heard here so far, I can only imagine the screaming about the government if they'd held the ship a bit longer and it had turned out that there was no swine flu. :mad:

The government weren't perfect, but how P&O ran the cruise is up to them, not the government.

........can anyone tell me how to send posters to never never land.........please...cheers Shiona

If you want to put a poster on your ignore list. Go to their profile. Under their avatar it says "user lists". Click on that & then click on "add to ignore list".

Archived