Website for photos?

The links had some good info, but the About.com author is a little loose with the recommendations.

I'm not posting this to be picky, just to save people a lot of searching for settings that don't exist.

This advice was in the part of the text dealing with prints: "...be sure to use the highest quality images your camera is capable of producing (300 dpi or better)"

The advise about the highest quality is valid, but since almost all cameras produce 72dpi tags in their image data and provide no user-adjustable settings for this, don't worry about DPI in your camera!

A better way to explain this would be: ...be sure to use the highest quality images your camera is capable of producing (at least 300 pixels for every inch of print size you plan on producing - an 8" x 10" image should be at least 2400 x 3000 pixels or just over 7MP).

This isn't even an absolute, just a rule of thumb. I have produced excellent 8"x10"s from 5MP images. The idea the author was trying to get across was that you shouldn't upload a 640x480 image if you think you or someone else will be ordering 4" x 6" prints.

Forgive my blathering...

Dave

OK - I know... I've posted this before... :o

Wikipedia List of Photo Sharing Sites Just so you know what's out there..

My votes...

#1 - Picasa

#2 - Webshots

#3 - Flickr!

I use all of these - each for different purposes..

All have FREE accounts, are easy to use and have great traffic flow - lots of folks will see your stuff! :D

My website "The Loblolly Galleries" is powered by SmugMug - its a pay-only site, but they offer a 2 week free trial. If you like it use coupon code RnZrWuVXTdyK2 and get 5 bucks off... :D

OK - I know... I've posted this before... :o

Wikipedia List of Photo Sharing Sites Just so you know what's out there..

My votes...

#1 - Picasa

#2 - Webshots

#3 - Flickr!

I use all of these - each for different purposes..

All have FREE accounts, are easy to use and have great traffic flow - lots of folks will see your stuff! :D

My website "The Loblolly Galleries" is powered by SmugMug - its a pay-only site, but they offer a 2 week free trial. If you like it use coupon code RnZrWuVXTdyK2 and get 5 bucks off... :D

LOVE your website... thanks for the link. You have beautiful pictures throughout. I'll be visiting again.

If you want to pay for a site that has no ads and a lot of linking and printing options, try Zenfolio (http://www.zenfolio.com).

I just started loading my travel galleries to it because of the ease of upload and the incredible viewing and slideshow features. I also like the fact that I can caption the images in PBase and the captions are transferred to the web view.

It is $25/yr for 1GB or $40 for unlimited. I chose the $40 option because it allows me to load full-size images without worrying about space (doubles as an off-site backup). You can limit downloads, download size and do things like enable prints to be ordered.

Lots of themes and display options. So far, I like it a lot.

Take a look if you're interested: http://pierce324.zenfolio.com

I think there's a $5 discount or something like that if I give you a referral code, but I think that would violate CC board rules...

Dave

I also prefer a site with no advertising. I just started using Photoshop.com and so far I like it. Only drawback has been slow speed in uploading pics but it may be my internet connection. It is a free site, although I purchased an additional 20GB of storage for $20 yr. Also has editing software too, although I use Corel Paint Shop.

Debbi

Dave I just checked out your Zen site...BEAUTIFUL!!!! I will be checking back from time to time. Thanks for sharing the link

Thanks!

It is turning out to be a huge effort!:eek: I am going through all the photos and touching up where they were almost always out-of-camera and captioning all of the "chosen ones" on my computer. It is a lot of work, but I am enjoying the process since I get to re-live all of those trips!

Dave

I am going through all the photos and touching up where they were almost always out-of-camera and captioning all of the "chosen ones" on my computer.

You've probably said before, but how are you storing all this? Tnx,

You've probably said before, but how are you storing all this? Tnx,

The collection is stored in a "Photos" folders with everything under it plainly named sub folders. I maintain collections of folders in Picasa that may or may not match the folder hierarchy. Using plain naming and renaming all photos that are kept makes it easy to find things. I did an article on my methodical madness here: http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/BatchRename.htm

On the computer the files are on a pair of mirrored drives and are backed up regularly to two separate external drives, one of which is kept elsewhere.

I used to burn a set of DVDs every six months or so, but since it takes well over 50 disks to do that now, I just do the two externals.

This new thing with Zenfolio turned out to be a good way to keep the ones I like best online at full size. A nice plus.

Dave

Based on recommendations from this thread, I opted for Photoshop & bought up to the 20gb level. I have uploaded 3.4 over the past few days and now everything I upload errors. They appear in my Library though I had placed them in an album. They are not real pictures (blue flowers) yet I cannot delete them. I double checked my account and it says I have 16+gigs left.

I have tried uploading from sticks, CDs, harddrive and from my laptop and work computer...same experience all around.

Help??!!

Jeanie

Based on recommendations from this thread, I opted for Photoshop & bought up to the 20gb level. I have uploaded 3.4 over the past few days and now everything I upload errors. They appear in my Library though I had placed them in an album. They are not real pictures (blue flowers) yet I cannot delete them. I double checked my account and it says I have 16+gigs left.

I have tried uploading from sticks, CDs, harddrive and from my laptop and work computer...same experience all around.

Help??!!

Jeanie

Jeanie,

Looks like you may have to get your account repaired. Check out this link and search for "blue flowers" :

http://forums.adobe.com/message/969345#969345

-Wayne

Archived