The truth about "lost" luggage

FlyerTalker

Seeing a number of threads/posts about "lost" luggage, I thought I'd go through a longish analysis of the causes and how to mitigate them.

First off, there is a difference between a truly "lost" piece of luggage and one that has merely failed to match the passenger's itinerary - a "delayed" bag. I'll deal with "lost" later on.

There are only a few reasons why a bag is delayed:

1) It never got onto the originating flight

2) It got onto an incorrect flight at origin

3) It never got onto the connecting flight

4) It got onto an incorrect flight at connection point

Dealing with #1: Baggage is security screened before being loaded onto the aircraft. There is only so much throughput on the screening machines, and if there is a jam-up, bags may not be screened by flight time. That's one reason why you see minimum check-in times, with some places being 1 hour or more (rather than the more "standard" 30 minutes). So, check-in early to avoid the chance that your bag will be still in process at departure, either due to security or airline ops.

More #1: Baggage on some smaller aircraft may be limited, due to weight & balance and other operational issues. Early check-in may help, but be aware that on long RJ/turboprop legs, luggage may be sacrificed in difficult ops times (high/hot operations, extra time/fuel for weather and alternates). This is unlikely, but possible. Also, smaller, less boxy bags are less likely to be left for the next flight.

Moving to #2: The baggage tag may be incorrect. Always be sure that the tag has the correct flights and destination as it is being put on your bag. Given that most tags are computer generated off your check-in data, the big concern here is that someone else's tag (generated in the mad chaos that is bag-check nowdays) gets put on your bag. Watch as it's being put on, and double check the claim stubs you get.

Moving to #3: The same kinds of time issues that apply to you running through a concourse apply to your bags being shuttled around by tugs. If there isn't enough time, your bag won't be on your flight. Allow for enough connection time to reduce the chances of the clock killing your bag's connection.

Moving on to #4: This is most likely human error. Not much you can do other than making sure the tags are correct at the start.

Of course, human error can, and does, creep into all of these cases. But there is little you, as a passenger, can do to avoid that, other than to recognize those cases where there's a systemic problem with a carrier/airport.

Now, let's talk about the "lost" bags. These are the ones that are "out there" - not just delayed but pretty AWOL. Causes for this are either mis-tagging or lost tags (or damaged/destroyed bags). You can correct the former by confirming the proper tags as they are applied to the bag. For the latter, several things to do. Buy good luggage, and make sure that the handles with the airline tag are secure and sturdy. Do more than just have your name and address on the bag. Include your cellphone and email info on exterior personal luggage tags so you can be contacted on the road. Put a large note in an outside pocket (I use Astrobright colored 8.5x11 with big headlines to get attention) with your complete air itinerary and full contact info. Also, include where you will be traveling (hotel/cruise) so the bag can follow and find you, rather than just go to your home. If there are no tags, they'll have to bloodhound whose bag it is and where it belongs, so the more info the better.

Yes, I have had delayed bags but never a lost one. Almost all have been because of a tight connection, with only a couple because of late check-in. It can happen to anyone - just do your best to mitigate the causes and recognize the rate of delayed bags is FAR less than you might worry about.

Nice post.

FWIW, I also have never had a bag "lost." Certainly have had bags delayed, but never lost. My favorite was Miami to Buenos Aires, first class (AA 3-class plane; mid-90s). 1st class baggage was put in a separate container. THREE trips in a row, they "forgot" to load the 1st class luggage container.

I know you will be surprised that there was a tense labor negotiation going on and the luggage handlers in Miami were failing to load the front of plane baggage on the Sat. evening departure. My company had a apartment in BA where I kept clothes, so it was no big deal to me.. others were not pleased. :)

Thanks for this, FT.

I'd add a point about nametags. I never put my home address or home phone no. on bag tags, nor on any easily accessible pockets on the bag. I use my cell phone no. and email address ONLY. It's way too easy for an unscrupulous person to note the address and do a drive-by to see who's on vacation. Reverse phone directories are a slam dunk on the web, too, so same idea. If the bag gets delayed or lost, you can give the airline all that info when you report the missing piece; there's no need for it beforehand.

On the other hand, having something highly visible and unique on the bag - not just a piece of yarn that can come loose - can be a big help when filing a lost/delayed bag report. "Black Travelpro 26-in. roller" does not especially narrow the field for the airlines.

Call me just a wee bit paranoid, but there you are.

If you've made it to the ship and your bags haven't (pesky one day airline baggage handlers strike), make sure you tell someone on board. We let the nice check in clerk know, and wound up waiting an extra 3 days for our bags vs those who had let the folks aboard know. Yes, the nice people at HAL actually sent someone to the airline storage area for the bags and harvested ours.

Although I have seen it reported in various places, the Dallas Morning News said in an article about mishandled vs. lost bags:

About 0.005 percent of checked bags get permanently lost, Transportation Department figures show.

Of course, if it happens to you, it doesn't mean much.

It just means that you've been very unlucky, just as you're unlucky if you get your pocket picked, or you flush your passport down the toilet, or you get overcharged at a restaurant ... all the things that might happen if you travel (including if you only travel as far as the office). Life is full of risks - we just have to keep a handle on how big those risks are - and aren't.

Two things: I always use my WORK address on my luggage tag (notwithstanding 99.9 percent of the time I never check-in bags.) If my bag goes astray, I don't have to worry about someone visting my house while I'm away and possibly robbing the place. As well, except for the weekends, there's always someone at work to accept packages - which may or may not be true at home.

And, I always put a business card - again with my work address - inside the luggage. If people are going to runnage through my suitcase because the exterior luggage tag goes missing, they'll have that inside.

Although I have seen it reported in various places, the Dallas Morning News said in an article about mishandled vs. lost bags:

True story: we were coming back from a non-cruise vacatation (coincidentally, at Dallas) when we had to taxi back to the gate because of a caution light. As we did so, I noticed a green duffle bag _on the runway_ with nobody stopping to pic it up for a good ten or fifteen minutes, despite all the luggage handlers and other airport people zipping by.

That validated my philosophy of not checking in a bag unless I have to.

Thanks for this, FT.

I'd add a point about nametags. I never put my home address or home phone no. on bag tags, nor on any easily accessible pockets on the bag. I use my cell phone no. and email address ONLY. It's way too easy for an unscrupulous person to note the address and do a drive-by to see who's on vacation. Reverse phone directories are a slam dunk on the web, too, so same idea. If the bag gets delayed or lost, you can give the airline all that info when you report the missing piece; there's no need for it beforehand.

Same here. Enough ways for the right guys to contact you, not enough for the bad guys ;)

Before email was a big deal (before I travelled solo) we did use to put my mother's work address; small company, close to home, etc.

Thanks Flyertalker- A few more reasons for delayed luggage:

- It never got offloaded at the connection point or destination and continued with the aircraft.

- Bag was checked early, but loaded onto an earlier flight to the correct destination.

Also, tips on what to do if your luggage goes missing:

- Go to the Baggage Service Office for your airline, usually adjacent to Baggage Claim. The sooner you do this and the more information you have (claim stub, description, etc) the better the chance of a quick and successful recovery. Ask if the aircraft you were on has departed. If it hasn't, ask if they will radio the ramp and make a sweep of the baggage hold.

- Look around the baggage claim area...sometimes carousels get overloaded and baggage is removed and set aside. This has happened to me a few times. There are also "lockers" with mesh doors in many baggage claim areas. Peek inside them, once my luggage inexplicably ended up in one of them. The people in the baggage office will generally be too busy to search these areas for you. Your items will usually be set aside somewhere if they took an earlier flight.

- Check your luggage for damage as well as missing contents. Do this immediately. The chance of a successful claim is essentially nil once you leave baggage claim. Also be real....rips, cracks, etc. should be claimed, a scuff or small stain in a $600 designer suitcase is normal "wear and tear". (I never understood designer luggage, like wearing a tux to go backpacking, and it simply becomes a high-value target for dishonest ramp workers).

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone has lost luggage for a long period of time and then was found. Mine has been missing for 3 weeks. Am in contact constantly with Baggage Services about this matter. I flew from Vancouver to Portland on June 17. My luggage never arrived. Needless to say, I am sick and devastated about this as my cameras were in this bag with priceless pix of my Alaskan cruise. I have filed two claims, one with my travel insurance and of course with Horizon Air.

I was traveling solo and as always, packed very light but of course brought back way more with me. Normally I put my cameras in my carry on but could not fit this time so of course had to do some rearranging.

After reading the Alaska boards recently, I noticed someone else had lost luggage, along with 2 other couples, on a Vancouver to Portland flight but different airline. As far as I know, they have not found yet either. (Person that told me said he'd let me know.) Anyway, I am venting.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
Wondering if anyone has lost luggage for a long period of time and then was found. Mine has been missing for 3 weeks. Am in contact constantly with Baggage Services about this matter. I flew from Vancouver to Portland on June 17. My luggage never arrived. Needless to say, I am sick and devastated about this as my cameras were in this bag with priceless pix of my Alaskan cruise. I have filed two claims, one with my travel insurance and of course with Horizon Air.

I was traveling solo and as always, packed very light but of course brought back way more with me. Normally I put my cameras in my carry on but could not fit this time so of course had to do some rearranging.

After reading the Alaska boards recently, I noticed someone else had lost luggage, along with 2 other couples, on a Vancouver to Portland flight but different airline. As far as I know, they have not found yet either. (Person that told me said he'd let me know.) Anyway, I am venting.:mad:

I believe American Airlines is still looking for my luggage that went missing in May of 2007...They did reimburse me after about 4 months.

###

PhoenixCruiser - Sorry about what happened to your luggage. They still have not found mine and last week told me are sending a check within a week. After that, they do not "actively" look anymore. However, could still turn up and not to give up hope but the chances are slim at this point. This has been such a nightmare, especially about my cameras.

Needless to say, I am sick and devastated about this as my cameras were in this bag with priceless pix of my Alaskan cruise.

Sorry about your cameras, but Murphy's Law says that if you ever put anything priceless and irreplaceable in your checked baggage, that will be the time that it goes missing.

If you really had to put your cameras in your checked baggage, why didn't you at least take out the film or memory cards and carry those? At least you wouldn't have lost your pictures. It's the pictures that are truly irreplaceable; any empty camera can easily be replaced by another.

Globaliser - Believe me, I learned my lesson well. Will never happen again and feeling really stupid that I did not think of this before the fact. Never say never that this will never happen to you. It just might so yes, have learned a HUGE lesson here.

Now, let's talk about the "lost" bags. These are the ones that are "out there" - not just delayed but pretty AWOL. Causes for this are either mis-tagging or lost tags (or damaged/destroyed bags). You can correct the former by confirming the proper tags as they are applied to the bag. For the latter, several things to do. Buy good luggage, and make sure that the handles with the airline tag are secure and sturdy. Do more than just have your name and address on the bag. Include your cellphone and email info on exterior personal luggage tags so you can be contacted on the road. Put a large note in an outside pocket (I use Astrobright colored 8.5x11 with big headlines to get attention) with your complete air itinerary and full contact info. Also, include where you will be traveling (hotel/cruise) so the bag can follow and find you, rather than just go to your home. If there are no tags, they'll have to bloodhound whose bag it is and where it belongs, so the more info the better.

We too include a compete itinerary including hotels, in our luggage. Although not addressed here, we also use wire ties to gently secure zippers together that can be untied by the TSA folks but can deter people from quickly rifling through bags for valuables.

I had the opportunity to vist Eastern Airlines unclaimed baggage area in Miami in the early 80's. It was huge! At least two full size basketball courts with rows upon rows of unclaimed baggage. Most due to having the bag tag and/or ID torn off and no identifiable information inside. Most could have been returned to the owners had they put their name and itinerary inside the bag.

hello everyone,

I just came across this thread and I wanted to tell you that the op is right about luggage. I work for an airline and my job is baggage service. I have seen a lot of passengers get upset about "lost luggage" but the main thing is are a couple of things. And sorry to the op I just wanted to give ideas to people from my point of view because I am going on a cruise as well.

The main thing when checking in a bag is making sure its your bag and your name on the bag tag. That is a must before leaving the ticket counter. They ask if Alaska is your final destintation but you might say no its settle washington. Well there goes the wrong bag tag.

Also when you are cruising out make sure you leave the day before. Flying in the airline industy can be crazy. With mechinicals all the time to well weather. For example say your leaving friday for your cruise at 6pm well book a flt early for thursday mornning that way you don't run into any miss haps.

Finally getting to the baggage service. If your bag is lost don't panic. Normally it should be on the next connecting flight. Just stop and breath. As long as you have that claim stub for your bag its easy for us to track the bag. My airline has a great tracking system. And I get bags to the paxs asap. Unlike Us airways I can't findout where the bag is because they don't have a great system. One thing to keep in mind is standing by for a flt if your flt is delayed. Make sure that bag goes AHEAD of you. Or if the airlines switch you to another carrier. Make sure they offer to give your bag back. Most airlines will send the pax on our flight but the bag is still with the original carrier.

Being a baggage service agent I see many of this happen to my customers. I try and do my best getting their bag. I hope this helps I didn't want to step on anyones toes.

Take care

Lexis mommy

• 2 weeks later...
There are only a few reasons why a bag is delayed:

1) It never got onto the originating flight

2) It got onto an incorrect flight at origin

3) It never got onto the connecting flight

4) It got onto an incorrect flight at connection point

I have to comments to add:

5) Since so much luggage looks nearly identical, it's very possible for a stranger to take your bag from the baggage area (either on purpose, or by accident) and then fail to realize the mistake until they're home, or not return the bag because it's too much trouble or because they don't want to be thought a thief.

6) I agree that most "lost luggage" is really only delayed, but it's going to take a couple days to find that luggage. If your luggage is "delayed" on the to-the-cruise leg of the trip, it might as well have been "lost" because you're not going to have it when you board.

6) I agree that most "lost luggage" is really only delayed, but it's going to take a couple days to find that luggage. If your luggage is "delayed" on the to-the-cruise leg of the trip, it might as well have been "lost" because you're not going to have it when you board.
There are good chances that the bag will catch up with you at some stage. Just because it isn't on board the ship when it sails from the originating port doesn't mean that you'll be without it for the entire cruise. So it is still likely that it'll be "delayed" rather than "lost".

• 1 month later...

I just thought I'd mention this since most of us have digital cameras these days - I take a photo of each piece of luggage before we start our trip, making sure that my trademark purple duct tape on the handles shows in the photos. I do this when flying &/or cruising. This way, if a piece of luggage comes up missing, I can show the luggage person exactly what the bag looks like. My camera is always in my carry-on stuff, so it's always with me. When I (and my luggage) get home, I then delete the luggage photos.

I don't know if it's because I do this that we've never had missing luggage or not, but I'm going to keep doing it!

• 4 weeks later...

FYI The lost luggage store is in Scottsboro, Alabama. The Unclaimed Baggage Center is famous. Scottsboro is not too far from Huntsville, AL and Chattanooga, TN. It is an "interesting" place to visit but they are not a true thrift store as one might assume. You can get some good deals but not everything is inexpensive.

Archived