Help-Cat D and E

briody

Has anyone stayed on the bottom of the ship on Viking and Uniworld ships? Are they bad? Where do the crew stay?

How are the rooms by the stairs in the front?

I have to make a decision this weekend because of vikings deals but I

have never done a river cruise.

Thanks

Briody

We stayed on the lowest deck on a Uniworld ship about 6 years ago. I believe it was the River Countess. It was nice and quiet. People at the front of the ship had trouble when ever we sailed from port in the middle of the night. The used the bow thrusters to get us away.

Last summer we took the Seine Cruise on Uniworld. We opted for the least expensive cabin and were NOT disappointed. There is a fairly large window that is a few feet above the waterline. The cabin was the same size as on the decks above. One very short flight of stairs took us from the reception area down to our cabin. There was also a lift attached to one of the staircases that could be used by passengers and was also used by the crew. The crews bunking area was on the same level more towards the bow of the ship. We had absolutely no regets about saving the money. We have booked an AMA cruise on the Danube in Sept 2010 and again took the cheapest cabin. We seriously thought about taking one of the more expense ($500) cabins on the higher decks with french balconies, but decided that since the ship is small and the decks are a flight or two above we could just see the view from the outside deck. The french balcony is only about a foot wide and does not enlarge the cabin and no one can place a chair on it to sit and view go by. I hope this information helps.

I can echo what the others have said about the lower cabins on the Uniworld ships. They're fine, and we find that we spend little time in the cabin anyway. We were either out and about touring or were up on the sun deck watching the sights along the river. We used the cabin for showering and for sleeping--not worth spending any extra money for in our opinion!

Briony,

Last year sailed in the cheapest cabins, bottom deck on Uniworld River Countess from Amsterdam to Bucharest, Viking Lavrenikov from Odessa to Kiev and Viking Pakhomov from Moscow to St Petersburg.

I hate being confined in small, dark spaces, but I didn't have a problem with the size or layout of any of these cabins. We had no problem unpacking our 20kg of luggage, storing empty suitcases etc. on arrival. After that we used the cabins to sleep, shower, dress and undress to sleep again. On Pakhomov, amend that to "try to sleep." On the ships we spent our waking hours watching the world go by from the deck or through the huge windows of the public rooms. On Pakhomov, amend that to "in daylight hours".

On River Countess our cabin window ran the full length of the cabin at about head height. It let in light and a narrow view of the world outside just above water level. The rivers are very calm, no waves engulf the window. None of the cabin windows open. If you are moored against another boat, it doesn't matter what deck you are on, you will see nothing but the adjacent boat. The whole River Countess experience was great.

I can't speak for Viking in Western Europe. In Eastern Europe all operators seem to operate the same style boats and the comfort level varies with how recently it was renovated.

We were very comfortable on the modernised Viking Lavrenikov in Ukraine, though the cabin and bathroom were very small, much smaller than the River Countess.

We had read the brochures and were prepared for the equally small cabin and older bathroom with yachting style shower on Viking Pakhomov in Russia. No problems with these.

We were not prepared for the thin walls between cabins that exposed us to every whisper, creak, groan and bathroom noise made by our neighbours. No doubt they heard us equally clearly.

We were not prepared for our wall mounted (single) beds to bounce whenever our neighbours moved on their beds. Our movements no doubt bounced our neighbours.

Pakhomov had a few other problems which could have been age-related.

So, if you are going to Eastern Europe, check if your boat has been refurbished from the original East German prototype.

Even so the deficiencies of the boat could not dim the brilliance of our experience in Russia. Enjoy your cruise.

Deb.

If the boat you are considering is the Viking Sun, you DO NOT want to be anyplace on the bottom deck. You will hear every toilet on the boat flushing. In the corridor, the water rushes thru pipes overhead. There is also deisel smell at the back on all decks. Tours great, boat itself not so great. Pat

Thank you everyone - the two ships I am leaning towards is the Viking Danube with Viking and River Beatrice with Uniworld. I am also leaning towards Romantic Danube with Viking and either Danube Discovery or Enchanting Danube with Uniworld. I will be taking my daughters - 23, 21 and 18. So we will be getting three cabins.

Any opinions on these?

Thanks So much:o

What about cabin #210 on the Viking Century Sun on the main deck? Would you think it would be too noisy, smell of diesel fuel and what about the AC...Is that adequate?

gma1

We sailed on Viking Pride last year & had a mid range cabin on middle deck. It was fine. Well designed & with good storage. Only complaint was one that affected every cabin: the boats tend to be docked alongside other similar boats so once you open your curtains you look straight into someone eles`s cabin! We had some frights I can tell you & I tremble for the poor folk suddenly exposed to us!! It was a seriously negative aspect of our trip (Grand European Voyage). Its never referred to by the company you just end up double & triple parked. You have to walk through other boats to disembark & have other passengers walk through yours to get off.

So it doesnt really matter to us how high up you are on the boat you still lose out on a river boat. We`re off back to sea this year. Enjoyed last years hols for the company & the places we saw but not necessarily for the boat. Anyway dont let me put you off! Enjoy!

Briody -

There is an "Enchanting Danube" thread - and there are pictures posted of the River Beatrice. Someone managed to snap some shots of all categories of cabin (even the Owner's Suite!!!) Lowest category has, as mentioned in one post, a higher up window. If you visit that thread, you can see pictures which may help.

Also - there are a few people there who have just come back from that cruise - so they might be able to answer some of your questions directly.

We are taking that cruise in Sept 2010 - can hardly wait...

On the Viking CENTURY Sun or Sky in CHINA a 200 numbered cabin will be great.

We were in cabin 228 on the Main deck. The Main deck is the location of the dining room. Also you will go on and off the vessel on the main deck or only 1 deck lower.

It's a great vessel with nice bath, great bed, love seat and small balcony,

Check for the Viking Century Reviews on the review boards.

MSEm

Archived