Rum Point with Nativeway or Carnival?

blessedwith12

I really want to go to Rum Point, and I don't think we're comfortable with renting a car. So, that leaves us with the choice of Nativeway or Carnival. Both say you will have 1 1/2 hours at Rum Point. We really don't care about the stingrays or snorkeling, but will have to go along with that to get to Rum Point. It is cheaper with Carnival than Nativeway. Has anyone done this with Carnival, and did you actually get 1 1/2 hours at Rum Point? Any advice appreciated. (I did an excursion with Nativeway in March and it was great - so I am sold on the quality of their company. I really am just trying to figure out the best way to see Rum Point.)

This is the excursion we are looking at, too, and I saw that someone posted somewhere else that after eating at Rum Point, which is part of the Nativeway excusion, they only had a 1/2 hour to really enjoy the beach. If this is the most important part of the trip to you, you may be disappointed in it since I think the majority of the trip is the snorkeling and sting rays. If anyone knows of another way to get to Rum Point without the sting rays, etc. we would be interested in knowing also, although I think we want to do the stingrays and snorkeling.

We are almost leaning toward just doing the stingray and snorkel and then getting dropped off at Seven Mile Beach, eating something simple and quick and spending the rest of the time at the beach. I think the shorter excursion through Nativeway, and perhaps Capt. Marvin gets you back to Seven Mile beach at about 1:00.

C. Anne

This is the excursion we are looking at, too, and I saw that someone posted somewhere else that after eating at Rum Point, which is part of the Nativeway excusion, they only had a 1/2 hour to really enjoy the beach. If this is the most important part of the trip to you, you may be disappointed in it since I think the majority of the trip is the snorkeling and sting rays. If anyone knows of another way to get to Rum Point without the sting rays, etc. we would be interested in knowing also, although I think we want to do the stingrays and snorkeling.

We are almost leaning toward just doing the stingray and snorkel and then getting dropped off at Seven Mile Beach, eating something simple and quick and spending the rest of the time at the beach. I think the shorter excursion through Nativeway, and perhaps Capt. Marvin gets you back to Seven Mile beach at about 1:00.

C. Anne

The Rum Point Adventure begins aboard the brand new custom built Rum Pointer Ferry. She is 75 feet long and is equipped with four John Deere engines. The trip across the North Sound to Rum Point is just 40 minutes and is a convenient and relaxing alternative to driving. The ferry departs from the Hyatt Regency Canal at 10:00 a.m., Noon and 4:00 p.m. on Mondays - Thursdays and 10:00 a.m. Noon and 6:00 p.m. from Friday to Sunday. The return times from Rum Point are 11:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. weekdays and 11:00 a.m. 3:30 p.m. and 9:15 p.m. Fridays and weekends.

The Rum Point Adventure begins aboard the brand new custom built Rum Pointer Ferry.

I think that's outdated info that's still floating around on the net somewhere. That ferry hasn't been running since Hurricane Ivan in 2004. Unless it's started up again in the last month or so, but I'm sure that news would have hit the boards as a separate thread... :D

(If you do a quick google for "rum point ferry" you'll see most of the sites still list the ferry but have it labeled as "out of service" since Ivan.)

We are going on the Conquest Nov.22. When are ya'll going? We have been to Rum Point and StingRay Sandbar and loved them! My DH would like to spend the whole day at Rum Point. I hope someone can answer these posts. We want the most time at Rum Point. I'm thinking we may have the most time by taking the ship's excursion.

We're doing a private charter with Nativeway to just hit Stingray Sandbar briefly and the head directly to Rum Point for 3 hours or so. My suggestion would be to starting asking around on your Roll Call boards and see if you can get enough people to make that a cost-effective option for you.

We will be in the Caymans 11/3. Thanks for all the suggestions. Right now, I think we've decided not to do the Carnival or Nativeway Tour. There is no sense in us spending our time and money to do the snorkeling or Stingray city, when that's not how we want to spend our day. We are considering renting a car and going to Rum Point or maybe just using this port to totally be spontaneous - spend some time on 7 mile beach, find a place to eat and shop. I have never had a port day unplanned, so it actually sounds fun to me.

However, if anyone finds another way to get to Rum Point - please let me know. I wish the ferry still ran - that would be great.

We did the tour to Rum Point with Nativeway, and did get the full hour and half there. But we also stopped for snorkeling and the stingrays. In my opinion Rum Point is very pretty, but it is also really small. Going to Rum Point was the only reason I chose this tour, along with wanting to see the stingrays, but if I was just wanting to hang out at a beach I would probably choose Seven Mile Beach, which we saw on the way to the boat. It's bigger, and Rum Point got very crowded while we were there.

We also would like to head out to Rum Point. Hubby wanted to hit the Rum Cake Factory also. So I found this Private Island Tour link :

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanIslandsTour.htm

I am hoping someone has used this tour company before and can tell me how it went.

We have used the Jeep tour company several years ago and today's price is almost the same. We ended up being the only couple with a driver guide all to ourselves. We had the opportunity to stay at Rum Point for as long as we wished. Meeting place was on the main street several blocks from the tender port area but was not hard to find. Give them a try.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

We also would like to head out to Rum Point. Hubby wanted to hit the Rum Cake Factory also. So I found this Private Island Tour link :

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanIslandsTour.htm

I am hoping someone has used this tour company before and can tell me how it went.

Well...we have used them, do a search for "Island Marketing" for more reviews. The company itself was great, reliable, on time, reasonably priced. We did this tour in Cozumel and it was fine.

We did the Jeep tour through them on Grand Cayman, and it kinda stunk. We had 6 of us in 2 Jeeps, one guide. I did, however, bring my walkie talkies so we could ask questions (as the guide was in the other Jeep). The guide did not only not offer any information on the island, but couldn't answer the majority of our basic questions. AND we spent only an hour or so at Rum Point and wished we had just gone directly there. The island itself, to me, isn't much to see. Basic residential areas, some volcanic rock/coral bluffs to go look at (which was really pointless, considering most of us were in flip flops and the guide kept reminding us to be careful or we'd slice our feet open...NICE). JMHO. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd read that you can take a taxi to Rum Point- have I been misinformed? If so, we're going to be some unhappy campers. We thought that would be best too, since we've no interest in going to Stingray City. Can anyone provide any information on taxis to Rum Point?

I thought I'd read that you can take a taxi to Rum Point- have I been misinformed? If so, we're going to be some unhappy campers. We thought that would be best too, since we've no interest in going to Stingray City. Can anyone provide any information on taxis to Rum Point?

Sorry, but you're going to be an unhappy camper. :eek: A taxi to Rum Point from George Town is about $80 US each way. And, since it's a bit off the beaten path, you'd have to pre-arrange the return trip. There won't be any taxis in the area, and it's a 45 minute drive from town so you can't just call one when you're ready to go back to the ship.

If you want to do only a day at Rum Point, your best option is to rent a car and drive there yourself.

The other option is to take a tour or excursion that includes a stop at Rum Point.

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with Nativeway in February.

There was a traffic jam at Sting Ray City and we had to circle around for about 10-15 minutes until a boat pulled out and we could take their spot.

By the time we got to Rum Point, they had our food waiting at a table, but we only had 30-40 minutes to enjoy, before we had to reboard and head back.

Luckily we were unimpressed by Rum Point, so we were not as heartbroken to have to leave so quick.

We found it to be really small, rocky and an unimpressive beach. (especially after 7 mile beach)

As long as your group leaves the pier at a decent time and beats the mad crush to SRC, you will probably get your entire time at Rum Point.

Any delays at SRC and you will definitely lose time at Rum Point.

I would definitely try and book a private excursion if you really don't want to snorkle or go to SRC.

Bill

We are going on the Conquest Nov.22. When are ya'll going? We have been to Rum Point and StingRay Sandbar and loved them! My DH would like to spend the whole day at Rum Point. I hope someone can answer these posts. We want the most time at Rum Point. I'm thinking we may have the most time by taking the ship's excursion.

We're going November 1st on the Conquest. Have a good time - maybe I'll get a review out for ya before you all leave!

C.Anne

Archived