Onboard Library

calvin81

I'm hoping some past O cruisers can tell me about the library. I do love to read and usually pack 4-5 paperbacks for a 2 week trip, leaving them behind to free up space in the luggage for trip purchases. How large is the library and how current is the selection? I am caught up on the latest Grisham books for example and am hoping for a broader selection.

Oceania's library is extensive and includes current and past bestsellers, in hardback, non-fiction and travel guides plus magazines. The library functions on an honor system. There are also two or three section of shelves with paperbacks that are a leave one take one system. As an avid reader I would be extremely comfortable leaving my books at home and just relying on Oceania's library for my reading material.

It's also one of the prettiest libraries afloat, like an English country manor with beautiful bookcases, comfortable furniture and even a fireplace (fake, but who wants a real one on a ship). Because it's on the honor system, it's open 24 hours a day.

Thanks all. I think I will just take a book for the long flight there and the long flight home now! Books are heavy and take up quite a bit of room, so this is another great perk on Oceania.

I agree that O has the most beautiful libraries at sea. Also their oversized leather chairs and ottomans are the most comfortable. Beware that you might start reading and soon be napping.

We were on a 12 day Insignia Med cruise last year and had no trouble finding recent editions of books that we wanted to read. I suscribe to a mystery review magazine and I saw several in the Library that I wanted to read. I was like a previous poster. I would pick up my book to read and find myself dozing or staring at the views. You should have no trouble finding something that will hold your interest.

I agree that O has the most beautiful libraries at sea. Also their oversized leather chairs and ottomans are the most comfortable. Beware that you might start reading and soon be napping.

Might? Have yet to sit in one of those chairs and not nod off. Great place to relax and get away from the usual run of the ship.

I usually bring along 6-7 paperbacks and dutifully deposit them in the library when finished. Noticed that Regatta had a more extensive selection than on the Insignia.

Yes - several people nodded off every afternoon in the library, making it difficult for readers to find a seat! That was on our Istanbul to Singapore cruise, Nautica, 11-06.

I often ended up reading down at The Patio, which is a better people watching spot.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't mind the "nodders" but the snorers are another story. There was one guy in the library on Regatta who could have filled in for the foghorn if it ever went out. No one, myself included, was willing to wake him up and tell him he was snoring. Just curious: how would others have dealt with this situation?

I don't know -- I was an elementary school librarian and quiet (or not quiet) snorers were never ever a problem! I have had this problem in my own cabin though:D I carry my tiny little MP3 player and it helps. I wonder if Oceania needs a MLS librarian -- that would be a good job for ME!!

I didn't mind the "nodders" but the snorers are another story. There was one guy in the library on Regatta who could have filled in for the foghorn if it ever went out. No one, myself included, was willing to wake him up and tell him he was snoring. Just curious: how would others have dealt with this situation?

Nudge the chair until he wakes up :D

Two of us had Kindles on our February "08 Valparaiso - Buenos Aires cruise.

Beyond the wonders of carrying your own personal library you won't have to think about the weight of books or whether the ship's library is going to suffice. I remember previous cruises when passengers picked the place clean the first day. Well not quite clean but they sure made a dent. The down side of the honor system.

I heartily recommend bringing a Kindle if you are a serious reader. There is simply no down side.

Being somewhat of a rabble-rouser, I would opt for a large inflated paper bag, placed near the sleeper's ear, and struck with a sharp blow with both hands.....

I would offer one caveat, RUN LIKE HELL!! :D

Archived