Southern vs Western

briody

We are looking to do a cruise with our three daughters(23,22,18) in June 2010. One is San Juan, Willemstad, Curacao, Oranjestad, Aruba, Roseau, Dominica and Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas.

The other is Miami, Labadee, Haiti, Ochos Rios, Jamaica, George Town, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We will be doing RCCL. We would like pretty places, nice beaches, good snorkeling, some shopping, and calm waters.

Is one better then the other?

For me, the southern itinerary is a no-brainer. Personally, I really disliked Ochos Rio and both Grand Cayman and Cozumel were too crowded. On the other hand, both Dutch islands are beautiful - almost like being in Europe; St. Thomas has great beaches and lots of shopping; San Juan is wonderful for exploring by foot. I haven't been to Dominica yet so I can't comment on it.

I would do the Southern, too. I did the Western last year and did love all the stops (due to weather, we couldn't stop at Ocho Rios) but the stingray bar in Grand Cayman was awesome, and we really had a great day sightseeing in Cozumel. Maybe a future cruise for those islands.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have done both itineraries and as a matter of fact I am doing the Western once again. The Western has swimming with the Sting Rays. The boat backs you out to a Sandbar and you walk on the Sandbar and they swim around you. Then there is Cave Tubing in Jamaica. That was another great excursion. The snorkeling was also decent.

The Southern has some great snorkeling as well.

Also, something to be said for the Private Island (Labadee). You are out in the middle of nowhere on an island. That is great

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would definitley go on the Southern...there isn't a whole lot to see in Dominica though (except the rain forest) might be a bit dry for the kids But the other ports are great! Grand cayman and cozumel on the western have stuff for kids, jamaica has Dunns river falls (a must do) I'm not sure about Haiti though...really with either one you couldn't go wrong I just prefer the Southern!:D

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived