Victory 5/17/09 Review (and pics)--finally!

NCTribeFan

Antigua was beautiful. They were all beautiful!

The one LOUD FAMILY woman had this loud, piercing, shriek of a voice. By mid afternoon, I thought I might have to stand up, turn around and scream at her to SHUT UP!

You know the type - talk over the driver while he's telling you things, then 5 minutes later, shriek a question to him about something he already talked about, but that YOU didn't hear because you were talking over the top of him!

We'd get off the bus, the men would light up a cig, they'd stand around talking - er, shouting - although they were standing next to each other, while Mr. Grey was pointing things out and giving us instructions on where to go and when to meet back at the bus.

Just totally oblivious to anyone not in their little circle of family/friends. Then throw their cig butts on the ground. They seemed like nice enough people, but I thought I was going to punch someone by the end of the tour.

It just wasn't a good ending to the cruise, unfortunately.

I did know that this itinerary would be tiring, and did worry that I'd be burned out by the end of the week, but we kept the onboard activities to a minimum, and had our daily nap, so although we were tired, I'm glad we did the excursions we did.

Now I know something about the islands; I know where I'd like to return and what I'd like to see that I didn't see the first time, and which ports I would just do a beach stop next time (if there is a next time).

I honestly wouldn't recommend this itinerary for new cruisers, though. There isn't enough time to get a feel for "ship life" and I think a cruise newbie would be overwhelmed by all the ports.

But it was everything I'd hoped it would be.

Thanks for your review, sounds like you two had a great time. Can't wait to see these islands and sample the local brews....

Good luck with your work situation, that's lousy news to come home to.

Thanks for the review NCTribeFan. It does sound like you had a wondrful time. We are doing the same cruise in less than 2 weeks and it looks as if we are doing about the same excursions that you did. Thanks again for the wonderful review.

I know it was heavy on excursions and light on the ship itself, and I apologize for having simply lost track.

Let me have a look at the menus and tell you what I had to eat, not necessarily in the correct order :o

Shrimp cocktail, caesar salad, whatever the steak was, creme brulee.

Strawberry bisque, baked stuffed mushrooms, prime rib, lobster and shrimp, cheese plate (DD had the carmelized apples for dessert which were wonderful).

Smoked chicken quesadilla, caesar salad, short ribs, bitter and blanc AND tiramisu!

Smoked duck, chilled cream of peaches, lamb

Wild mushroom cream soup, filet mignon

Delice of the ocean (I could've eaten 5 of these), chilled creamy bing cherry soup, chateaubriand, baked alaska

Mango cream, caesar salad, grilled chicken breast on fettucine, cappuccino pie

Can you tell I absolutely LOVE the chilled fruit soups? :D

I would've loved to have had: tilapia, hudson valley duck, french onion soup, sicilian style free range chicken, jerked pork, farfalle w/roast turkey, tomato and mozzarella, tom turkey, red snapper, grilled portabello mushrooms, grilled shrimp, grouper...

But one can only eat so much, I'm afraid. I did my best, though. I hope I don't have to cancel Miracle, because I like the looks of the menu for the 8th day!

Thank you very much for the review and Pix. Sorry to hear about your job, I know what you are going through. I lost mine back in November...Thank God for unemployment...Good luck with your job search.:D

Don't have the menus. Sorry. Each cruise, I think I should take photos of them and then I forget, just as I forget to take pics of the food.

Going to see if I can get the scanner working this morning. Hopefully, I can scan the capers for you.

Thanks for the review. We are taking this cruise on 6/28 and can't wait! However, in reading your review, did I misread something or did you have the Captain's Gala on Tuesday/Antigua, the second elegant night on Wednesday/Barbados and the Past Guest Party on Thursday/St. Lucia?

The elegant nights are back-to-back?

The Past Guest Party is Thursday?

Are these correct?

Please correct me if I misread the sequence.

Thank you.

Elegant nights were Tuesday, Dominica and Thursday, St Lucia. PG party was Friday, Antigua.

I got confused because I knew Thursday was Elegant night, and when we returned to the cabin after our day in St Lucia, our PG party invitations and pins were in the cabin.

I didn't even look at the invitation, since I just assumed the party was that night, since it was also Elegant night. As I stood at the doorway of the empty theatre, I pulled out the invitation and saw that it was for the next night.

Don't know why it isn't the same night except maybe we sailed later from St Lucia than Antigua, but it seems like the PG party should be on the 2nd Elegant night, since we all look so nice. But it isn't.

I did get the old printer/scanner connected to the newer desktop and was able to download the printer driver. Hopefully, the scanner will work and I can get the Capers scanned for everyone. DD & I have spent most of the day "cleaning" the office, which was filled with assorted boxes that had never been sorted through and put away when we moved here. :o

So, once I can get to the computer again, I'll give it a try.

I tend to keep envelopes of "souvenirs" from my travels. As I was going through some of the boxes, I actually came across my S&S card from my first cruise on Jubilee in 2001! Found one day of the Capers, too. Also found the dailies from my RCI cruise, and the Capers from my June 2004 Fantasy cruise. That's why I keep all these little bits of paper. I love to go back and just look at little receipts and notes and remember the fun I had.

I tend to keep envelopes of "souvenirs" from my travels.

As I was going through some of the boxes,

I actually came across my S&S card from my first cruise on Jubilee in 2001! ===> What a find!

That's why I keep all these little bits of paper.

I collect cruise-cards and would glady accept any duplicates you might have

(husband's cards...wife's cards...kids' cards) particularly those older dates.

Please consider donating to a worthy cause!

I'm finding that cruise lines make several small changes to the designs of the cards, over time.

Easy to overlook until you get things side-by-side to compare.

http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w219/aplmac/Misc/Ship%20CARDS/

Carnival1st-835.jpg.d1acce0995e1f7bef7e91a0b39824933.jpg

Carnival-05-A.jpg.76b1345036c4147b9b24811148acfc92.jpg

Carnival-06.jpg.9a9998a0ab15605e8c50f30a08731f00.jpg

Carnival-09.jpg.c02a852e08ed2e380319f3164045d72d.jpg

What a fabulous review NCTribefan. And I am sorry to hear you lost your job.

I love love love the southern Caribbean itinerary. I was thinking of doing it again in Oct on the Victory, but I also lost my job at the beginning of May. (And I found out right after vacation too, how fun!)

But I do have a ver good prospect!

Anyway, last trip when I was in Dominica, I just wandered around the port area, and talked to the vendors. I met so many fun nice friendly people. That is one of my favorite islands.

Archived