The World's Longest and Most Picture Laden Miracle Review Ever! May 24-June 1

Nicole721

Indeed. My GF and I currently live in NYC and are doing an 8 night cruise in September. We are very excited as I have heard nothing but good things about the Miracle.

-D

I have nothing but good things to say about the Miracle :) She's my favorite ship (we've been on her three times already...twice this year...and we might sail her again in January). Such an easy layout to navigate and such pretty public areas.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm sure you and your GF will have a fantastic cruise :)

This has to be the longest review I've ever seen, but it's great. You're giving this New Yorker some ideas where to eat. You MUST have had a bad day at Century 21. It is a landmark--the one here on LI by me is fabulous. I cannot believe you took pics of PATH and the rat in the subway (welcome to NY). Dylan's is very cool but completely overpriced. Tiffany is...well, Tiffany! I love browsing there. Bloomies is great too. Did you make it to the giant Macy's? You didn't hit the Disney store two blocks down from Tiffany? That's fun too.

I certainly hope the next installment finds you at Juniors, because if you left NY without their cheesecake you missed out on the BEST!

I'm sure my DS and his friends are having a ball.....

Ha! I take pictures of EVERYTHING :p I'll give Century 21 another chance whenever we go to NYC next. It was just SO packed and all I saw was Ed Hardy stuff (and I'm not a fan of Ed Hardy clothes). But admittedly, we only had about 15 minutes to browse so I may have missed the good stuff. And Dylan's was DEFINITELY overpriced. But I think it's a "must see" for a first-time NYC visiter. It was a fun experience late at night (another thing I loved about NYC- everything is open so much later than in Chicago, where all the stores shut down by 9:00!).

No time to hit Macy's or the Disney Store (they were on our list, but taking the train everywhere took so much time out of our day and we had less time than we thought), or FAO Schwartz for that matter, but they're on our list for our next visit.

And yes, we did make it to Juniors. Their cheesecake was A-MAZING! I think I have a pic of it to put in the next installment.

Nice review...............!!!

Thank you! :)

Lovin' every minute! It's so nice to see our great City through someone else's eyes. Sharon

You're too kind to me, Sharon :) Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

Excellent! Can't wait for the other parts, especially about the cruise. Thanks for taking the time out to take us on the whole adventure with you.

I'm going to try to wrap up the last part of the NYC review tonight or tomorrow because the cruise stuff starts right after the next installment. Thanks for reading and commenting! :)

Interesting review, cant wait for more. Thanks

Thank you!!!

I have long been addicted to cruising. My second addiction has become your reviews. Love your style!!!:)

Thanks so much! Mom will be glad to know I got something out of college ;)

Boy, that's a lot more than a Maracle review. Haven't seen a picture of the ship yet. I assume that's yet to come?

Very very detailed review of your whole trip. Nice job. You must have taken notes along the way.

Yep...ship is coming up after the next installment :)

I actually didn't take notes. I have a journalism degree, so I'm used to keeping things in my head until I can write them out. I think Stephanie took some notes about things we definitely wanted to remember (like names of extraordinary staff on the ship), but other than that, just memory and pictures :) But, on the last night of the cruise, I went into the shops and found this gorgeous, handmade journal with (I think) linen paper and that's going to become my cruise journal so I can take notes on the next one :)

Nicole,

I started reading your blog and became hooked. I even started reading your other entries. I enjoyed this recent trip review in NYC so much that you have me thinking of DH and my next cruise in 2011. Thanks and can't wait to read all of your entries.

Thank you so much! I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)

Really love the review and can not wait till your next installment. Great Job!!!

Thank you! The next installment should be up tonight or tomorrow :)

Great review! Thanks so much for takin the time to write it!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply! I have to admit, though, I have selfish motives for writing it- through writing it, I can relive it. It helps with the post-cruise depression until we can decide where we want to go on our next cruise and book it :p

Thank you! The next installment should be up tonight or tomorrow :)

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply! I have to admit, though, I have selfish motives for writing it- through writing it, I can relive it. It helps with the post-cruise depression until we can decide where we want to go on our next cruise and book it :p

I think a lot of us would have to admit that's how we make it to the next cruise.

Thanks so much for this excellent review! I am LOVING the New York review so far, as I am from Texas and have never been to NYC..It is one place that I would love to go and now I think I just might need to cruise out of there next!! Please keep it coming! iI know it will only get better!

Nicole,

While waiting for Part 3 of your current cruise, I thought I would go to your blog and read about your Jan. 24 Miracle cruise. I am having difficulties going backwards from one part to another. After reading to the end of one part, I have to scroll up to find the beginning of the next part and never know when to stop. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easier way to find the beginning of each part? I guess you can tell I'm not a usual blog reader.

Great review Nicole! Don't keep us waiting!!! ;)

It's a lot of work so we should be patient. It'll be worth the wait as Nicole does an excellent job. Just finished reading her Jan.24 cruise.

Nicole, for a 23 year old, how do you manage to get so much time off from work to take all these fabulous trips? ...and more planned for 2009 !

Is it not possible for you to rent cars one way? Is it more costly renting one way twice? Seems such a shame to pay for rental when you're on the cruise and to also pay for parking.

C'mon Nicole...do it tonight :)

Sorry...there was a Cubs game calling my name :p I'm working on it now.

I think a lot of us would have to admit that's how we make it to the next cruise.

Works like a charm, doesn't it? ;)

Can't wait to see the rest.

Thanks! Should be up soon :)

Thanks so much for this excellent review! I am LOVING the New York review so far, as I am from Texas and have never been to NYC..It is one place that I would love to go and now I think I just might need to cruise out of there next!! Please keep it coming! iI know it will only get better!

Awww thanks! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

Nicole,

While waiting for Part 3 of your current cruise, I thought I would go to your blog and read about your Jan. 24 Miracle cruise. I am having difficulties going backwards from one part to another. After reading to the end of one part, I have to scroll up to find the beginning of the next part and never know when to stop. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easier way to find the beginning of each part? I guess you can tell I'm not a usual blog reader.

I wish... I know it's super annoying. It's super annoying for me, too, when I want to go back and read it, but Blogger won't let me :( The best thing I've found to do is there's a little menu of posts by month on the right-hand side of the page and to click on a month and click on posts from the bottom up.

Nicole,

This is by far the "BEST" review I have ever read! Outstanding! :cool::cool::cool: I am not even on this ship, but this review will make me consider it. All I can say is "WOW".

Thanks so much for the kind words! I recommend everyone try the Miracle just because she's SUCH a beautiful ship. I really like the layout and decor and I've never had a bad cruise on her (well, I've never had a bad cruise...except for parts of my cruise on Princess, but that's another story :eek: ).

We're actually semi-considering ANOTHER trip on the Miracle. We don't know where we'll go for our annual May cruise next year (I think our top pick is the Dream but we haven't done all our research yet), but come November/December, we're going to start looking into the Miracle So. Caribbean cruises for January (we book January cruises semi-last minute) because we missed St. Lucia last year and Mom still wants to visit St. Lucia so much. St. Maarten is one of our favorite ports and I fell in love with St. Kitts last January, so it's something we're looking into :)

Great start!:D We're taking the Miracle next year with a CC Group and I'm really looking forward to the Miracle/ports part!:cool: Thanks!

Thanks! You're in for a fun trip :)

Great review Nicole! Don't keep us waiting!!! ;)

Workin' on it now!

It's a lot of work so we should be patient. It'll be worth the wait as Nicole does an excellent job. Just finished reading her Jan.24 cruise.

Nicole, for a 23 year old, how do you manage to get so much time off from work to take all these fabulous trips? ...and more planned for 2009 !

Is it not possible for you to rent cars one way? Is it more costly renting one way twice? Seems such a shame to pay for rental when you're on the cruise and to also pay for parking.

Thanks :) It actually takes me an hour or two to write each part just because they're SO long and I have to go through all of the pictures, format them, format the blog, edit, etc.

We're actually in a nice state of flux right now (if there is such a thing) that allows us to travel so much. There really isn't many jobs or a market for a writer like me in Chicago right now (I write primarily fashion and lifestyles articles), but I have a fantastic freelance contract that allows me to write basically what I want when I want. And I do some work with my alma mater judging journalism competitions and things like that, and that's always during February/March/April. I figure when I settle down and get a full-time writing gig, it'll be a few years before I can accrue the vacation time to travel as much as we are now, so we're taking advantage of the time we have now.

I've actually checked into one-way rentals, but they charge an arm and a leg to pick up at one location and drop off at another. I think it was around an extra $300 or so the last time I checked (last year). So that's an extra $600 or so both ways, and that's still more than the week of the car and the parking by $100-$200, depending on where the car is being parked (Florida ports have much cheaper parking the Port of Manhattan).

Usually, we just look at the price of flying vs. driving all-inclusive (limo both ways + flight + Sky Cab tips + luggage fees + overweight luggage fees + rental car or cabs at destination versus rental car + gas + parking) and whatever is cheaper is what we do. If we decide to do another cruise out of California at some point (which we would absolutely love to do), we'll probably bite the bullet and fly because no way we'd drive from Chicago to LA. But with NYC being a half-day drive and Florida being one day or less (we usually stop in GA so we break it up over two half-days), it's not THAT bad to drive...besides the insidious boredom ;)

Great review so far!

I loved your tea time in NYC. And...the pic of the rat was funny.:)

I'm from Chicago (originally) also. South suburbs. I can't believe you drove to NYC in one day. yikes!

Keep it coming!

Guest Crazeecat5

Nicole,

I am enjoying your review so much! As a native New Yorker who now lives in Pa., I can say you really have captured the essence of NYC!

I have been on the Miracle before and am booked on her again. (It's a CC group cruise that you might be interested in. See below) I'm sure your review of the cruise will bring back wonderful memories and whet my appetite for what's to come! Thanks:D

I've actually checked into one-way rentals, but they charge an arm and a leg to pick up at one location and drop off at another. I think it was around an extra $300 or so the last time I checked (last year). So that's an extra $600 or so both ways, and that's still more than the week of the car and the parking by $100-$200, depending on where the car is being parked (Florida ports have much cheaper parking the Port of Manhattan).

I thought that was probably the case. When we've done 1 way rentals in California, it's much more expensive than if you return it to the place of pick-up. Florida however doesn't have that but of course, you are driving from Illinois. Here's a suggestion, although we've never had to park a car while on a cruise. Try asking the rental car agency in your port of cruise if they will let you park your rental from Illinois while you're on the cruise. Have you tried that? I'm all for saving $$$ whenever I can and it seems like such a waste to pay parking for a rental ( different if it's your own ). Just a thought.

Great review so far!

I loved your tea time in NYC. And...the pic of the rat was funny.:)

I'm from Chicago (originally) also. South suburbs. I can't believe you drove to NYC in one day. yikes!

Keep it coming!

Thanks! It was a 13.5 hour drive...it actually went REALLY fast coming home, but super slow on the way there. Not as bad as driving to FL, which is usually two days (including an overnight in GA). It was actually kind of nice to leave home in the morning and be at our destination that afternoon or evening :)

Nicole,

I am enjoying your review so much! As a native New Yorker who now lives in Pa., I can say you really have captured the essence of NYC!

I have been on the Miracle before and am booked on her again. (It's a CC group cruise that you might be interested in. See below) I'm sure your review of the cruise will bring back wonderful memories and whet my appetite for what's to come! Thanks:D

Thanks so much! I'll look into that :)

I thought that was probably the case. When we've done 1 way rentals in California, it's much more expensive than if you return it to the place of pick-up. Florida however doesn't have that but of course, you are driving from Illinois. Here's a suggestion, although we've never had to park a car while on a cruise. Try asking the rental car agency in your port of cruise if they will let you park your rental from Illinois while you're on the cruise. Have you tried that? I'm all for saving $$$ whenever I can and it seems like such a waste to pay parking for a rental ( different if it's your own ). Just a thought.

Hmmm, never thought of that. I look into it for our next trip...thanks!

PART 3 IS UP!

http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2009/06/worlds-longest-miracle-review-part-3.html

Part 2: http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2009/06/worlds-longest-miracle-review-part-2.html

Part 1: http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2009/06/worlds-longest-miracle-review-part-1.html

Part four will be up tonight or tomorrow (we still have no groceries in the house besides new milk and some bread and old frozen stuff so I've got to do some shopping tonight...and the Cubs are playing LOL) and that's when the ship and cruise review begin :)

Nicole Ive really enjoyed the review so far. Can't wait to get on the ship!!! My wife and I will be going to New York in July and I'm giving her a shopping trip for our anniversary present. Can you give me any advice on what stores to take her to?

ps, you really should be a travel writer.