The World's Longest and Most Picture Laden Miracle Review Ever! May 24-June 1

Nicole721

Loved part 4. It's a shame that they're cutting back in the food dept, but I guess these are the times we live in. Also, I can't believe that they didnt have a ramp to the balcony. I mean, how else is a person in a WC going to get out there?:mad: And, it should not have taken them a minute to clean up the "mess" as soon as they were told about it.

Thanks Nicole. Loved Part 4. I am so looking forward to Tuesday after reading it!

I can't wait for Part 5

Thanks! :)

Thank you so much for the reviews! I'm planning my wedding on the Miracle for August 2010 out of NYC!

I'm glad you had a good experience in Jersey City! That's not something we hear often!

I thought the part of Jersey City we were in was pretty nice. We didn't see more of it than the street we were on and the part we drove through, though.

How exciting to get married on the Miracle! Beautiful ship for wedding photos!

Loved part 4. It's a shame that they're cutting back in the food dept, but I guess these are the times we live in. Also, I can't believe that they didnt have a ramp to the balcony. I mean, how else is a person in a WC going to get out there?:mad: And, it should not have taken them a minute to clean up the "mess" as soon as they were told about it.

We were SO bummed that there wasn't a ramp. I saw pics of the exact same room on the Pride and it had a ramp. I think Carnival really should reclassify the room or put a ramp there. It can't be a HC accessible BALCONY cabin when the balcony, itself, isn't accessible. And we paid a premium so grandma could use the balcony that she couldn't use. For more than a few hundred less, Mom and grandma could have been in an oceanview HC room that was nearly the same size (except for the balcony, of course).

And the throw up in the elevator not being cleaned up after TWO hours worried me that the cruise would be off to a bad start with lax staff, but it really was the only misstep for the entire week that I can remember off the top of my head.

But as per the food cutbacks, they're small, I suppose. The only really obvious one is the filet mignon (someone tried to fight with me in another thread that it WASN'T a cutback a few weeks ago, but the pictures don't lie and I have pictures of everything I've eaten on Carnival in the past three or so years...the cutbacks in the food are obvious when you look at them in pictures), but I wouldn't have noticed the other ones if I didn't have the menus nearly memorized ;) The food was still, for the most part, very good and even at its worst, better than the best food we had on our Princess cruise a few years back.

Thanks for reading and commenting! :)

That bridge you go under is the Verranzano Narrows Bridge.

When I sailed on Voyager of the seas... the mentioned that there was only 17' clearance between the ship and the upper mast.

IMG_0532-vi.jpg

IMG_0533-vi.jpg

That would be the one! Thanks!!!

Templed beat me to it. The bridge indeed is the Verrazano Narrows, which connects Brooklyn and New Jersey. It's quite bizarre for those of us NYers who ride over it all the time to sail under it.

Looking at your food pics, my son must be having an absolute party. I want warm chocolate melting cake NOW, accompanied by that nice looking fruit plate. And strangely enough, I want me a cheese plate. Never ordered one of those, but it looks good to me at the moment.

Your review is truly unbelievable. Pictures are phenom. You should forward this to someone at Carnival when it is done--perhaps alert John Heald to it on his blog. Including the part about the--um, dirty area by the elevator. Ugh.

I hosted a Carnival House Party a few months ago, yes, I was one of the lucky ones to win. I sent my son on the ship with my "I Drive the Funbus" shirt I was given to wear. Did you notice any of those? Wonder if someone is noticing him--he thinks I am crazy.

Keep it up!

I live right around the corner from the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. I'm so old that I remember when they were building it!

I am so excited to be able to sail from NY and go right past my house practically. I am tempted to tell me son to go by the water so we can wave to him but he's the one dropping us off at the pier so it's not like we'll be missing him.

I love Nicole's blogs. I am looking so forward to the next installment

Nicole,

Great review and pics. Can't wait to hear more. I have a ?. Do you know if Karuna and Dewey, the hostesses, might be there next year? We are sailing in July and I have food allergies and need to deal with the hostess and you make them sound so wonderful! I was lucky enough to have Natalya(not sure of spelling) on the Glory last year and she was so wonderful. She really helped take care of me. I was hoping Karuna and Dewey would be there because it would be great to deal with some people that sound so lovely. Thanks for the answer. Keep up to great review!:D

Thanks for the review! I can't wait until we cruise on 7/27!

My husband and I are in Manhattan fairly often, but we can't WAIT to cruise out of the harbor! I am looking forward to your future installments.

Did you go to Nick and Nora's? Oop! Guess I'll wait for the full review! :)

I just wanted to correct an earlier post, actually the The verrazano bridge connects Staten Island, NY to Brooklyn, NY. Not NJ :)

I have no idea where my brain is these days. This is absolutely correct--thing is, I never get off in Staten Island, what I always do is take the Outerbridge into NJ from 440! So in my messed up head....well, never mind. I stand corrected! Good thing hubby didn't see this!:eek:

I have no idea where my brain is these days. This is absolutely correct--thing is, I never get off in Staten Island, what I always do is take the Outerbridge into NJ from 440! So in my messed up head....well, never mind. I stand corrected! Good thing hubby didn't see this!:eek:

Oh thats ok, just didnt want anyone to think that staten island is in NJ....lol

Nicole: I LOVE your reviews, I LOVED the Miracle, and I LOVE that you are taking so many photos and providing so many details. You are including so much information that I like to research before I cruise - you are a veritable cruise "hostess"! Thanks for the extensive photos and comments on the food because, to be honest, that is one of my favorite parts of cruising! Ahhh... it brings back so many good memories of breakfast danishes early in the morning to ice-cream and pizza late at night...

You make a fantastic travel writer! Your review makes me want to take my next cruise out of NYC and enjoy the city for a few days pre-cruise like you and your family did.

Can't wait for your next installment.

Nicole: I LOVE your reviews, I LOVED the Miracle, and I LOVE that you are taking so many photos and providing so many details. You are including so much information that I like to research before I cruise - you are a veritable cruise "hostess"! Thanks for the extensive photos and comments on the food because, to be honest, that is one of my favorite parts of cruising! Ahhh... it brings back so many good memories of breakfast danishes early in the morning to ice-cream and pizza late at night...

You make a fantastic travel writer! Your review makes me want to take my next cruise out of NYC and enjoy the city for a few days pre-cruise like you and your family did.

My feelings exactly!!! I showed my husband the picture of the ship passing by the Statue of Liberty and told him about your Broadway experience and I think that's the "bait" that he will bite to make this happen. Keep up the good work Nicole, I am really enjoying seeing this cruise through your family's eyes and I think it's soooo cool to travel with three generations of good women.

Templed beat me to it. The bridge indeed is the Verrazano Narrows, which connects Brooklyn and New Jersey. It's quite bizarre for those of us NYers who ride over it all the time to sail under it.

Looking at your food pics, my son must be having an absolute party. I want warm chocolate melting cake NOW, accompanied by that nice looking fruit plate. And strangely enough, I want me a cheese plate. Never ordered one of those, but it looks good to me at the moment.

Your review is truly unbelievable. Pictures are phenom. You should forward this to someone at Carnival when it is done--perhaps alert John Heald to it on his blog. Including the part about the--um, dirty area by the elevator. Ugh.

I hosted a Carnival House Party a few months ago, yes, I was one of the lucky ones to win. I sent my son on the ship with my "I Drive the Funbus" shirt I was given to wear. Did you notice any of those? Wonder if someone is noticing him--he thinks I am crazy.

Keep it up!

Thanks!

Didn't see any of the shirts, but I really wasn't paying attention. Sounds like a cool shirt, though.

I won't say how much weight I gained on this cruise because it wasn't good LOL, but it's all gone now. We don't have food THAT good at home :p As much as I miss the food, Stephanie misses the entertainment. Every day since we've gotten home, she wants to go to the movies or do some sort of activity. She's in entertainment withdrawl and keeps saying "I need to be constantly entertained now." Never heard of that one before ;)

I think I might post on John Heald's blog...if for nothing else, to give kudos to some of the fabulous staff and alert him to our concerns re: HC balconies not being HC accessible in any way, shape or form.

Nicole, Thanks for Part 4. Can't wait for the rest of the cruise review. You do a great job!

Thank you!!!

I live right around the corner from the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. I'm so old that I remember when they were building it!

I am so excited to be able to sail from NY and go right past my house practically. I am tempted to tell me son to go by the water so we can wave to him but he's the one dropping us off at the pier so it's not like we'll be missing him.

I love Nicole's blogs. I am looking so forward to the next installment

I don't know if I could live near a port or area where cruise ships constantly pass and not go on a zillion cruises. I simply don't have that much restraint ;)

It must be SUPER cool to sail past your house, though!

Things are a bit busy today, but I'll see if I can get one out tonight.

Nicole,

Great review and pics. Can't wait to hear more. I have a ?. Do you know if Karuna and Dewey, the hostesses, might be there next year? We are sailing in July and I have food allergies and need to deal with the hostess and you make them sound so wonderful! I was lucky enough to have Natalya(not sure of spelling) on the Glory last year and she was so wonderful. She really helped take care of me. I was hoping Karuna and Dewey would be there because it would be great to deal with some people that sound so lovely. Thanks for the answer. Keep up to great review!:D

I hope so, because we may or may not go back in January and I'd love to see them again. But seriously, of EVERY crew member we've ever encountered in our eight cruises, they're up there with our two favorites (our servers Lawrence and Liliya from the Pride in 2006. We still look for them on every ship we go on because they were so fantastic and nice and overall good people).

Dewey's been on the ship for awhile already. Karuna told us their contracts run around eight months and then they get a 1.5 month unpaid vacation before their next contract, however, if they can't find someone to replace them, their contracts are automatically renewed and they don't get their vacation until a replacement is found. So it's kind of hard to tell how long they'll be there. Karuna made it seem like a very distinct possibility she'd be on the ship longer than her contract called for. I guess there isn't a lot of people applying to be hostesses on the ships?

But they'll be more than happy to help you with anything you need. They're very special people :)

Thanks for the review! I can't wait until we cruise on 7/27!

My husband and I are in Manhattan fairly often, but we can't WAIT to cruise out of the harbor! I am looking forward to your future installments.

Did you go to Nick and Nora's? Oop! Guess I'll wait for the full review! :)

We did! And it was as great as we remembered it! I'll post more about this later, but our server in the MDR told us they would be getting rid of all of the supper clubs and making them into steakhouse-type restaurants because they weren't making a profit off of the supper clubs (I understand it...I had beef carpaccio, a super fresh spinach salad, a 9oz. filet with wasabi potatoes and asparagus and a four-part chocolate dessert for $30, which also supposedly includes gratuity. There's no way they're making a profit off of that, especially since in the many times I've been to the supper clubs, they've never been close to capacity or even close to being considered full. A few times, we've been the only people at 7pm. I think they only fill on formal nights).

Stephanie posted this when we came home and some tactless posters here called her a liar, but I initiated this exchange with our server and this was straight from his mouth. Whether it's true or not remains to be seen, but this seems to be in line with some of the other changes Carnival is making given the economic times.

So if you're scheduled to go on a cruise in the immediate future, try the supper club: I highly endorse it and it may or may not be around in a few months or a year in it's current incarnation.

Thanks for the picture review! :D I like pictues with reviews!

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

Edited by Nicole721

Loved installment #4. I see that you and Steph are wearing your new Tiffany keys. Lookin good!

Thank you so much :)

I read reviews to pass the time between cruises (I even read them on other boards on cruise lines we haven't or aren't sailing on). I just love to read about cruises. So when I take pictures or write, I write about the things that I wish some of the other reviews had included. A lot of my blogs have a lot of food pics because when I go on cruises, I like to see what food they'll be offering. I like to see what the menus are for lunch on the Lido deck. I like to see the public areas. So that's what I try to do. I'm just so glad everyone likes them so much...it's very flattering! :)

My feelings exactly!!! I showed my husband the picture of the ship passing by the Statue of Liberty and told him about your Broadway experience and I think that's the "bait" that he will bite to make this happen. Keep up the good work Nicole, I am really enjoying seeing this cruise through your family's eyes and I think it's soooo cool to travel with three generations of good women.

Thank you! :) It's always been me, Steph, Mom and grandma cruising together. We've never cruised without each other...it's kind of "our thing." As grandma's gotten older and less mobile, it's gotten a bit harder and required more planning and more concessions to our plans, but I couldn't imagine cruising without her. She really enjoys it the most of all of us :)

I'm trying to find a way to gently "bait" Mom into thinking about the Dream. We're focusing on whether or not we want to go on the Disney trip we have booked in August right now, but my mind is still on our next cruise ;)

MY question is "Are you guys oil baronesses, filthy rich and NEVER have to work"?????? Gosh!

If we were heiresses, we very well wouldn't be traveling the caribbean via mainstream cruise ship, now would we?

yes yes yes!! that could mean 1500 cruises rather than 500 in my books ! :)

Nicole prior to your leaving I had mentioned if possible to get a picture of 4140 or 4122 the 4F French Doors... did you get the opportunity to snap a shot? if not i understand of course.. i am soooooo looking forward to your next chapter

Your ability to write words n a way that makes the reader believe they are living the experience rather than reading someone else's, is incredible! thanks so much

True, true :)

The doors weren't open to any of the rooms by the time we finished lunch, but if it helps at all, I have a pic of the french doors from 4199 (the room we stayed in for our January trip). I believe that was a 4F, too. Obstructed ocean view?

P1241542.jpg

P1241549.jpg

P2012307.jpg

It's a fantastic category of room for the price. My only gripe is that if the beds are in a twin configuration (as ours were), you will need to push the bed closest to the door over a bit to open the door more than a crack.

Enjoy your cruise! And thank you for the kind words!