The World's Longest and Most Picture Laden Miracle Review Ever! May 24-June 1

Nicole721

If we were heiresses, we very well wouldn't be traveling the caribbean via mainstream cruise ship, now would we?

Nicole I just wanted to take a minute so say. your pictures were beautiful, your reviews were very well written I couldnt have dont it better my self.

Thanks you for sharing your vacation...My DH and I are sailing Miracle in Sept, Never sailed Carnival, its a first for us, now that I read your reviews Im much more excited.

---You certainly could bring alot of business to Miracle with your impeccable review.

I think they should offer you a good upgrade or something on your next trip out.

Were in a 8B on Upper deck--balcony guarantee---Im hoping I dont get an obstructed view.

I understand the age group is variable---we are in our later 50's. Hope Im not out of place.

Again, thanks for your review, We are more than excited about our trip.

June

Thanks you for sharing your vacation...My DH and I are sailing Miracle in Sept, Never sailed Carnival, its a first for us, now that I read your reviews Im much more excited.

June, I am also cruising the Miracle in Sept, which sailing are you on? We are leaving on the 29th.

Anna

Templed beat me to it. The bridge indeed is the Verrazano Narrows, which connects Brooklyn and New Jersey. It's quite bizarre for those of us NYers who ride over it all the time to sail under it.

... VZ bridge Connects Brooklyn to Staten Island...

(we are ever so forgotten....)

lol

Speaking living near a port, sailing past peoples houses, etc.... My old office was in 1 WFC on the 30th floor overlooking the Hudson, so I would see the ships go in and out all the time (summertime, almost every other day...) Being a cruise junky, it's very frustrating. I would see Miracle and Legend all the time. Plus, I could see Bayonne Cruise Terminal (aka Port Liberty) and Red Hook from my office windows... so I had the distinct pleasure of seeing mostly every line's ships in and out of NY Harbour.

Edited by templed

Thanks for the great review so far. Loving reading all about it.

Thanks to for the pics of the balcony. Can't wait to use ours in Feb.

Did you have to request the lounge chairs or were they there when you arrived??

FINALLY, someone who can do a thorough review and be entertaining as well! BRAVO! I make detailed reports of my own trips, and I loved seeing someone else as meticulous as I am about everything, ha!

I am taking my first cruise later this summer, and your review really helped me prepare. Thanks for taking the time to do it! I will be checking back for your future trips as well!!

thank you, our beds will be made as one so should be ok sounds like... and yes the amount of light those doors sould hallow is worth it for me, anything else is a bonus.. the only thing i dislike about the inside cat is the darkness .. not able to look outside..

Oh, you'll get plenty of natural light :) Enjoy your cruise!

Nicole, I live in South Florida and I could sail the Miracle from here, but your review has almost convinced me to book the Miracle out of NY.

Where's part 5? LOL :) Again, the best review I have read. Keep it coming.

Thanks! Part 5 is up now!

New York, Fort Lauderdale...I did both this year and both were fantastic. I liked the pre-cruise out of NYC better, but I liked the actual cruise out of Fort Lauderdale better. But I'm kind of partial to South Florida...Grandma has a condo down there and when we were little, Stephanie, Mom, grandma and I would escape the Chicago winters and go live down there for a few months and my dad would come down every few weeks.

I would love to read more too! The review is great and I love all the detail. Makes me feel like I am there. Thanks for taking the time!

Aww, thanks! :)

Looking forward to your next installment. Great review....

Thank you!

Nicole I just wanted to take a minute so say. your pictures were beautiful, your reviews were very well written I couldnt have dont it better my self.

---You certainly could bring alot of business to Miracle with your impeccable review.

I think they should offer you a good upgrade or something on your next trip out.

Were in a 8B on Upper deck--balcony guarantee---Im hoping I dont get an obstructed view.

I understand the age group is variable---we are in our later 50's. Hope Im not out of place.

Again, thanks for your review, We are more than excited about our trip.

June

Thanks so much!

The lifeboats are on the Main deck (deck 4), so the most "obstruction" you would have would be an obstruction looking down. Your view looking out should be unobstructed :)

Age group is totally variable...depending on when you cruise. May (and the rest of the summer) cruises are very family filled. You'll find many multi-generational families, like ours, with age variants from infancy to people in their 80's and 90's. There weren't that many people in their 20s (like me and Stephanie), but plenty of people in Mom's age group, and even plenty in Grandma's. But when we sailed at the end of January, it was all older people (I'd guess at least 75% of the boat was people in their 60s through 80's) and I was pretty certain that Stephanie and I were the youngest people on the boat because I don't think we even saw kids on the boat.

But age group is totally variable on Carnival. It seems to get a bad rap for being a cruise of all crazy young people, but every time we've cruised on Carnival, Stephanie and I have been hard up to find people our ages because it's all families and older couples.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

More more!!

It's up ;)

We have only cruised Carnival being the first line we tried, and like anything sorta feeling if it isnt broken why fix it? I therefore dont know the age spans on other cruiselines, thus can only comment on Carnival.

There is no way you will be out of place being in your mid 50s ( As is my husband ).. For example consider Nicole and her cruises, Nicole and her sister, ( young women) their mother ( middle aged?) and their grandmother ( whom I believe is 88 ) If Nicole had children with her that would add another generation, and that is what you will see on the ship.

We have travelled with myself and my husband ( 47, 54 ) my two boys ( 25 and 20 ) my sister, her husband and children ( 39, 42, 11 and 13 ) and my parents ( 70ish ). There were many others on board in every age group, and this has been the case for the 5 cruises we have had with Carnival.

You're totally correct. Unless you sail during spring break, Carnival really doesn't have a lot of young people (in their early 20's like us) traveling with friends or without their families unless they're newlyweds. Most of the people our age on the Carnival cruises we've been on have been with their families.

But most of the people we've seen on cruises are my Mom's age or a bit older. It's really odd that there's still this misconception with Carnival being a cruise line for young people and crazy party people when I'm in that demographic and in the seven Carnival cruises I've been on, that's hardly been the case.

... VZ bridge Connects Brooklyn to Staten Island...

(we are ever so forgotten....)

lol

Speaking living near a port, sailing past peoples houses, etc.... My old office was in 1 WFC on the 30th floor overlooking the Hudson, so I would see the ships go in and out all the time (summertime, almost every other day...) Being a cruise junky, it's very frustrating. I would see Miracle and Legend all the time. Plus, I could see Bayonne Cruise Terminal (aka Port Liberty) and Red Hook from my office windows... so I had the distinct pleasure of seeing mostly every line's ships in and out of NY Harbour.

I just couldn't do it LOL! I couldn't see cruise ships out my window and not be tempted to cruise more often. But it must be a gorgeous sight!

Don't leave us hanging. :)

Sorry!! Hope you enjoy part 5!

Thanks for the great review so far. Loving reading all about it.

Thanks to for the pics of the balcony. Can't wait to use ours in Feb.

Did you have to request the lounge chairs or were they there when you arrived??

Thanks!

All of the balcony furniture was there when we arrived. We had two lounge chairs, two chairs and a table. All of the XL balconies should have lounge chairs.

FINALLY, someone who can do a thorough review and be entertaining as well! BRAVO! I make detailed reports of my own trips, and I loved seeing someone else as meticulous as I am about everything, ha!

I am taking my first cruise later this summer, and your review really helped me prepare. Thanks for taking the time to do it! I will be checking back for your future trips as well!!

Aww, thank you so much!

The next trip report after this will probably be of Disney World in August (we're still contemplating whether or not we want to do that because our next cruise will likely be on the Dream and that's out of Orlando) and if we go, I'm really excited to write that one because I've never written a Disney report before.

First cruises are always so exciting. I really wish I remembered more of mine, and it was only five years ago! I hope your cruise is absolutely fantastic!!!

Please come back Nicole..I need my daily fix...LOL

Done! Hope you enjoy!

Sorry for the long wait, all. We had a bunch of errands to run on Saturday and I was up in Wisconsin for most of yesterday and I just didn't have the time to sit down and write.

Someone left a comment on the blog wondering why I don't put up pics of grandma, and I thought maybe some other people were wondering, too, so I thought I'd answer. Grandma doesn't really understand the concept of the internet and because of that, I don't feel comfortable putting up her pictures because she can't really give her consent because she doesn't understand the vastness of the internet, if that makes any sense. Mom and Stephanie know that when I take pictures of them, potentially hundreds and thousands of people could see them, but grandma doesn't really get that, so I don't put her pictures up. But if you want to know what she looks like, I'm told I look a lot like her ;)

Part 5 is up! As always, thanks for all of the comments and feedback, and if you have any questions, I'm MORE than happy to answer!

Part 5: http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2009/06/worlds-longest-miracle-review-part-5.html

Part 4: http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2009/06/worlds-longest-miracle-review-part-4.html

Part 3: http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2009/06/worlds-longest-miracle-review-part-3.html

Part 2: http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2009/06/worlds-longest-miracle-review-part-2.html

Part 1: http://sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com/2009/06/worlds-longest-miracle-review-part-1.html

Someone please come to my house and serve me tea--it's a quarter to five, we have an event to go to with a light dinner at 7PM, and I'm hungry!

Nicole, my son comes home tomorrow. I don't even think I need to ask him what he did on this cruise at this point. Although I'm sure the stories will come out. I wonder if he went to tea. He LIKES tea!

I was wondering why we never saw grandma and now I know. Maybe just one little picture--even a profile? Does she know she's missing internet fame?

Gotta go to BB&B for those towel clips.....

Nicole, Part 5 a good read as usual. Thanks!

Thanks!!!

Nicole,

Where did you get the black and white dress for the formal night? I love it! I am looking for something different for my cruise in July.

Amy

Believe it or not, I found it on a clearance shelf at Deb for $10! Stephanie was in need of a new formal dress (I cycle mine...they usually get three cruises in them and then I get a new one...except for my black bubble dress. I love that one so much that it's going to get as much use as possible!) and I was just tagging along and rifling through the store racks to pass time and I found it and the price was too good to pass up.

Someone please come to my house and serve me tea--it's a quarter to five, we have an event to go to with a light dinner at 7PM, and I'm hungry!

Nicole, my son comes home tomorrow. I don't even think I need to ask him what he did on this cruise at this point. Although I'm sure the stories will come out. I wonder if he went to tea. He LIKES tea!

I was wondering why we never saw grandma and now I know. Maybe just one little picture--even a profile? Does she know she's missing internet fame?

Gotta go to BB&B for those towel clips.....

Pshhh...you live in NY and have access to THREE Alice's Tea Cups! If I want afternoon tea in Chicago, I'm looking at heading to The Drake hotel (Chicago's equivalent of The Plaza) because we don't have any kitschy cool tea places :( I have SUCH a craving for Alice's scones. I went to Harry & David's yesterday to buy some scone mix, but I highly doubt anything that comes out of my oven will come close to what comes out of Alice's!

Welcome home to your son, though! If he hasn't been to afternoon tea on the boats, please tell him about it! It's a must for ANY tea lover!

I'll see if I can find a postable pic of grandma. Or if I can try to get her to understand the internet LOL ;)

loved part 5. Those clips are awesome, I hate being up on deck and the towel keeps falling on my head because of the wind lol. We will definitely have some for the next cruise.

For real...when I saw them on our January cruise, I almost slapped myself in the forehead for not thinking of them sooner! Even plain 'ol clothes pins would probably do the trick. But these are cheap and SO cute. And they work fantastically. Technically, you could get two sets and clip the top AND sides and your towel will not budge an inch anywhere unless the chair gets swept up into a hurricane.

Hooray! You posted part 5!! :D I'm so loving your reviews that I think you should cruise once a month and write a detailed review with photos so I'll have some good reading!

I had never thought of going to the afternoon tea but now I don't want to miss it!

Can't wait for part 6.

Take care,

Brenda

Sorry for the long wait, all. We had a bunch of errands to run on Saturday and I was up in Wisconsin for most of yesterday and I just didn't have the time to sit down and write.

Someone left a comment on the blog wondering why I don't put up pics of grandma, and I thought maybe some other people were wondering, too, so I thought I'd answer. Grandma doesn't really understand the concept of the internet and because of that, I don't feel comfortable putting up her pictures because she can't really give her consent because she doesn't understand the vastness of the internet, if that makes any sense. Mom and Stephanie know that when I take pictures of them, potentially hundreds and thousands of people could see them, but grandma doesn't really get that, so I don't put her pictures up. But if you want to know what she looks like, I'm told I look a lot like her ;)

I wondered as well but I thought it may be rude to ask. :p You answered this perfectly. Grandma should be proud to have such a mature and considerate grandaughter.

For real...when I saw them on our January cruise, I almost slapped myself in the forehead for not thinking of them sooner! Even plain 'ol clothes pins would probably do the trick. But these are cheap and SO cute. And they work fantastically. Technically, you could get two sets and clip the top AND sides and your towel will not budge an inch anywhere unless the chair gets swept up into a hurricane.

LOL...I'm always in BB&B and have seen those clips and for some reason never thought to pick them up. Now watch, I won't be able to find them! LOL

Looking forward to parts 6 and beyond. Keep cruising Nicole. You're reviews are getting me through to my November Miracle cruise. I can't wait. When we went last July we left out of NY too. As we sailed past the Statue of Liberty I felt awe struck. My grandparents & great grandparents looked at this too as they sailed from Italy to their new life in America many many years ago. What a cool feeling.

I'm home!

Okay, so we got home last night, but I've been SO exhausted. But as promised, I've begun writing the World's Longest Carnival Miracle Review. I came home with more than 1300 pictures taken, so it's going to be pretty full of those, too.

It was a FANTASTIC cruise and I have lots of stories to tell and tips to give, and I've been writing this review in my head since we left two weeks ago. I got so much great feedback and comments on my last review, and I'm so appreciative. I'm super pumped to write this review, too.

The review is going up on my blog because the posts are too long to be posted here and it'll have way too many pictures, anyways, but I'll use this thread to post updates and answer any questions.

The first part of the review is up (http://www.sunglassesandumbrelladrinks.blogspot.com). It doesn't have nearly as many pictures as the rest will because it primarily covers our planning and our drive to NYC (sorry!!!). The next part will be up tonight or tomorrow, but I really hope everyone enjoys reading it as much I enjoy writing these :)

And, as always, I'll be happy to answer any questions. I'll also try to post the Capers at some point when things settle down a bit here.

Just read the review, thanks!! My husband and I are going on the Miracle in February. Hope the vomit is cleaned up by then!! But really thanks and I liked all the pics, too!!

Julie