Kotor, Ravenna, & Delphi ?'s.....

timandnancy

Just returned from a cruise that stopped at Ravenna. The port is quite a way from town and the port authority provided us a free shuttle into town (about a 10 minute drive). The drop off spot is on Viale Farini, just down the street from the train station and right next to the old town. They provided us a map when we got off the ship. It's a flat, easy town to do on your own. There are numerous buildings listed as UNESCO World Heritage sites for their beautiful mosaics. We purchased a 10.5 euro combo pack that gets you into the main sites. The map provided us was very detailed with street names and site locations so you can just spend your day wandering and crossing off the sites on the map.

Lynn

Delphi is inland from the port, presumably Itea. Probably 10 km or more. So a bus tour is in order. I haven't done Delphi by cruiseship, so can't comment on tours that might be available from the port, or public transportation.

Delphi is beautiful, well worth the effort, a spectacular place.

Kotor is an easy and delightful port to do on your own. The walled city is right there, small enough to walk around in, get a bite to eat and people (and cat) watch. You can also climb up the mountain to some incredible ruins and views.

just returned from a cruise that stopped at ravenna. The port is quite a way from town and the port authority provided us a free shuttle into town (about a 10 minute drive). The drop off spot is on viale farini, just down the street from the train station and right next to the old town. They provided us a map when we got off the ship. It's a flat, easy town to do on your own. There are numerous buildings listed as unesco world heritage sites for their beautiful mosaics. We purchased a 10.5 euro combo pack that gets you into the main sites. The map provided us was very detailed with street names and site locations so you can just spend your day wandering and crossing off the sites on the map.

Lynn

did you know anyone that took the train to san marino? Several cruisecritics have implied that ravenna doesn't have enough for two days - and we were wondering about san marino. Any thoughts? Thanks

did you know anyone that took the train to san marino? Several cruisecritics have implied that ravenna doesn't have enough for two days - and we were wondering about san marino. Any thoughts? Thanks

I just recenly went to San Marino, although not by train. (I don't think there is train service to San Marino, but there is bus service from various places.) It's lovely and well worth a visit. There are quite a few things to see there. Some of the shops are very touristy - apparently you can buy just about anything there, including a machine gun!:eek: The gelato was a very reasonable price, though.

Lisa

Just make sure you are on deck for the long approach to Kotor. You sail through Ravines and the views are spectacular. About 15 minutes before arrival you will pass a tiny Island with a church. Go there by taxi....get him to wait.....you take a small boat across and it is amazing.

Why is it there ? No houses.

Brian

We had an overnight in Ravenna as well. On the first day we took the train to Ferrara (about an hour's ride). Very easy to get to and once you get off the train in Ferrara the old town section is about a 15 minute leisurely walk. The walk through the newer portion was disappointing, but once we hit the old section it was beautiful with very little traffic. Toured the fort...you can climb the tower for a beautiful view of the town. Walked a section of the old city wall (it isn't as intact as Tallin or Dubrovnik). We enjoyed the day. We haven't been, but you can also do Bologna from Ravenna. Again about an hour's train ride. I know a lot of people seemed to think it was a waste being in Ravenna for two days, but if you go somewhere else on the first day and then Ravenna the second there is plenty to see.

Checked the Trenitalia.it website and it's about 5 hours to get from Ravenna to San Marino...need to change trains twice.

The San Marino listed on the Trenitalia site is further north, between Venice and Verona, not the city in the Republic of San Marino, on the Adriatic coast. You could pretty well walk from Ravenna to the Republic of San Marino in 5 hours!

According to this website and many others, there are no train services to San Marino - you can get a bus from Rimini, though.

Lisa

Hi Everyone...

I'm sorry I'm a little late chiming in...

I need to keep stopping in here more now that we've booked our 1st Azamara cruise...:)

We have been to most of these places by LAND

Kotor..Absolutely charming and very compact..very easy to do on your own. If there is shorex that includes Perast and a visit to Our Lady of the Rocks church I HIGHLY recommend it. On our personal travel website we have a short video of Montenegro, Photos of Kotor and Perast along with a Sights to See list for both. Just go into the link at the bottom and then into the Where we've been section. Another great resource on info is Rick Steves Croatia book as there is a chapter on Kotor in it.

San Marino...getting there is a PITA, we hired a driver out of Florence. Trains do not get very close to it and are random. Busses do go there, but there is not enough time for you to get there and back. We spent 3 weeks in Italy and not once did we have an on time train. San Marino is charming but we were able to see and do everything total immersion in 4 hours.

Ravenna...we have not been there, BUT have researched it because it was part of a plan...I think there is PLENTY to do there for one port stop..as someone said its a Unesco World Heritage site.

I would suggest you use google for research, flckr photo website, Rick Steves, Lonely Planet, DK Publishing, the website for Unesco World Heritage sites for further info.

Personally I would stay put in Ravenna.

Delphi...we were literally in Delphi a month ago and I'm still working on photos. We have videos and website research links on our website for Delphi just go into the Where we've been section.

We drove passed the port of ITEA on our way to Meteora.

Itea the port is not close to Delphi. It is a 2 lane somewhat winding mountain road. I'm not sure if I would hire a driver if it's summer months because of the distance and NEEDING to be back in time for the ship..too many what ifs. I would do a shorex.

While in Delphi, the Archeological Museum is wonderful, the sites do require a lot of walking. lots of uphill and gravel. you will want to carry water. Very few bathrooms except at Museum with a snack shack and Temple of Zeus at the very bottom. PACK toilet paper.

Here's the link to our little website..just remember it's the Where we've been section. I'm working on updating the blog and stuff this weekend

http://ourpassportstamps.com/

If you have any other questions just let me know..

To see our Azamara booking you can go into

Our 2010 Adventure

I leave for the Pacific Princess 6/10 and return 6/25 so if there's a delay in my response that's why...

**HOST ANDY... our website is not commercial, has no advertising, tracking etc etc...it's set up like personal travel journal/photo album and we sat down for coffee and I shared it with you. If we like or dont like something we share...we have never ever been "paid to play". Host Star and LauraS have already taken a look at it and "approved" that its ok to post the link as long it remains that way. :)

The distance given on Michelin Journey Planner for

Ravenna to SaN Marino is 85 km and the end part is way uphill. Guesstimated walking time 11 hours provided no "Pit Stops "

Brian

Ok, maybe I was exaggerating a little :). I just had a vision of an unfortunate crimsonbird going by train to an entirely different San Marino!

Lisa

San Marino...

I should add a reminder that this a foreign country from Italy and you will need your passport on your body, though there isn't a formal border.

If you would like to have it stamped, you can take it to the Visitors center and pay just a few Euros..it's a nice adhesive stamp and then they place a thumper stamp :) over it...

When I have a chance I will take a picture of mine and load it into our photo section..

Rick Steves Italy book does have a chapter on San Marino

where2next,

We will be on an A cruise next year that stops in Itea. As we have been to Delphi, I am trying to figure out a way to get to Meteora - overnight there and then get to Athens and catch the ship in next port (there is a sea day after Itea).

My problem is that I cannot find a car rental agency anywhere near Meteora or Delphi.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

We were on the Journey in April and we shared a taxi to Delphi from Itea with our friends from the ship. We arranged for the driver to leave us at the ruins and pick us up at the museum 2 hours later at a cost of 60 Euros between the 4 of us.

Paul..1st have you cleared with AZ that they will allow you to do this? I know cruiselines used to let you do this, but then over the years they wouldn't or you had to have special permission in advance.

when I hear back that it's cool to do ..then we will brainstorm for you!

I need EXACT port times

Clive gives great info...the only time I would be a bit concerned on the taxi would be its the summer and traffic is busier.

I would probably allow a little more than 2 hours to include the museum...

he must of been zooming! :)

Paul..1st have you cleared with AZ that they will allow you to do this? I know cruiselines used to let you do this, but then over the years they wouldn't or you had to have special permission in advance.

when I hear back that it's cool to do ..then we will brainstorm for you!

I need EXACT port times

:)

I have not cleared it yet with Azamara as I don't even know if it's possible. When I can find a reasonable way, I will ask Azamara for permission ahead of time. I've a had quote by private car for 550 Euro + hotel in Meteora - I don't consider that reasonable; I suspect I can do better with a bus/rental car combo.

I have had such/similar permissions from RCI (2 days early disembarkation) and Oceania (embarkation in 2nd port).

It would be on the Quest Sept 20th 2010 sailing out of Venice.

I would leave the ship on Sept 26th, travel to Meteora ( bus -rental car). Spend the night there. On the 27th would make my way leisurely to Athens, spend the night in hotel near airport and catch an early flight on the 28th Athens to Valetta (KM 743 6:20 - 7:00).

I have been to Delphi, Athens and Valetta (besides I will a full day there anyway),but I don't know when I'll be near Meteora again.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul

I have not cleared it yet with Azamara as I don't even know if it's possible. When I can find a reasonable way, I will ask Azamara for permission ahead of time. I've a had quote by private car for 550 Euro + hotel in Meteora - I don't consider that reasonable; I suspect I can do better with a bus/rental car combo.

I have had such/similar permissions from RCI (2 days early disembarkation) and Oceania (embarkation in 2nd port).

It would be on the Quest Sept 20th 2010 sailing out of Venice.

I would leave the ship on Sept 26th, travel to Meteora ( bus -rental car). Spend the night there. On the 27th would make my way leisurely to Athens, spend the night in hotel near airport and catch an early flight Athens to Valetta (KM 743 6:20 - 7:00).

I have been to Delphi, Athens and Valetta (besides I will a full day there anyway),but I don't know when I'll be near Meteora again.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul

Hi Paul...at 1st I was thinking you had to reboard the ship in Athens...which poses a security concern for them

they should let you do it if you are officially disembarking

Have you checked matt barrets website?

http://www.greektravel.com/

I don't think he has specific ideas for what you want to do, but he will answer email and sometimes give suggestions or reference where on his site there is info.

It was 500 euros for us to go from Athens to Delphi overnight in Meteora and then return late the next day and we used Spiros..who I wouldnt recommend.

I know there is a 2 bus connection out of Delphi to Meteora but it's going to be a lot of backtracking for you.

We stayed in Kastraki at the Tseklis Inn...it was 50 euro a night and very budget...the driver booked it. great location, but you had to make up your own bed with linens provided. the rooms were private but it had the feel of a upscale hostel! Breakfast was tasty and 5 euro

Have you tried to Trip Advisor Delphi forum board? The Destination Experts might be able to assist you

I want to give you heads up about Meteora and Greece in general...

all toilets at the Monastaries are Turkish toilets, have toilet paper in your pack with you. Also, when purchasing bottled water in Greece, check the label ...if it says in size 1 font...added magnesium for your health...AVOID IT....magnesium is a laxative.

I had bad food poisoning beginning our 1st week in Turkey ..it was a 24 day trip when we arrived in Greece the bottled water made it worse...and if you have cipro to cure it ...a side effect can be..well you guessed it...

3 imodiums at once, 1 banana and my pain meds for something complety different didn't even work to counter this issue.

it has taken me almost a month from our return until I could keep foods in my stomach.

Hi Paul...at 1st I was thinking you had to reboard the ship in Athens...which poses a security concern for them

they should let you do it if you are officially disembarking

Have you checked matt barrets website?

http://www.greektravel.com/

I don't think he has specific ideas for what you want to do, but he will answer email and sometimes give suggestions or reference where on his site there is info.

It was 500 euros for us to go from Athens to Delphi overnight in Meteora and then return late the next day and we used Spiros..who I wouldnt recommend.

I know there is a 2 bus connection out of Delphi to Meteora but it's going to be a lot of backtracking for you.

We stayed in Kastraki at the Tseklis Inn...it was 50 euro a night and very budget...the driver booked it. great location, but you had to make up your own bed with linens provided. the rooms were private but it had the feel of a upscale hostel! Breakfast was tasty and 5 euro

Have you tried to Trip Advisor Delphi forum board? The Destination Experts might be able to assist you

I want to give you heads up about Meteora and Greece in general...

all toilets at the Monastaries are Turkish toilets, have toilet paper in your pack with you. Also, when purchasing bottled water in Greece, check the label ...if it says in size 1 font...added magnesium for your health...AVOID IT....magnesium is a laxative.

I had bad food poisoning beginning our 1st week in Turkey ..it was a 24 day trip when we arrived in Greece the bottled water made it worse...and if you have cipro to cure it ...a side effect can be..well you guessed it...

3 imodiums at once, 1 banana and my pain meds for something complety different didn't even work to counter this issue.

it has taken me almost a month from our return until I could keep foods in my stomach.

Thank you for your prompt reply and all the advice - I will check out the site you recommended.

Your 500 Euro was more reasonable as it included transfers from Athens to Delphi (and a tour there) as well. We would not need that portion. I assume you enjoyed Meteora and would recommend it?

I will keep working on it but will not do it if it's not practical. I believe they have a 2 day bus tour out of Athens to Delphi & Meteora - perhaps we can join them in Delphi.

Sorry about your GI problems...

Paul

Kalimera Paul....

while it would be ideal if you could just go from itea to meteora...

check out grayline out of Athens..

http://grayline.gr/

also, there is a lot of climbing so if you aren't in super shape start practicing...you could probably do 4 monastaries MAX as at least 1 will be closed and timing might not allow the 6th...after 4 though...you've got the concept and the views!!!!

if you are travelling with a woman, they need to wear a skirt, no exceptions. they have tie around skirts at the monastarys to use, but they are pretty dusty/dirty....I picked up something at Kohls in the clearance rack and just dumped afterwards to lighten the suitcase load. I wore capri pants and then at the top right before the entrance whipped my skirt out of my daypack and put it on...she could also take a scarf that she wears around her neck and wrap it like a pareo. BUT it needs to go down to about her calves...

No shorts or tank tops ...but you're a savvy traveller so you know that.

Archived