Day in Rome Post-Embarkation, Pre-Airport?

I'd like to see Rome after disembarking my cruise in Civitavecchia, but I must return to the states on the same day. Is it possible to spend some time sightseeing in Rome after disembarking but before flying back to the states? What could I do with my luggage? Thanks for any ideas.

If you want to see Rome when you disembark your cruise I higly recommend that you extend your trip and spend a couple of days in Rome before flying home.

Keep in mind that Rome is a good 90 minutes drive from the Cruise Ship terminal and could be longer depending on traffic. On top of that the drive from Rome to the airport is another hour or so. You will need to arrive to the airport 2 hours before your flight.

All of this means little time to see Rome. And, you can't do all this and fly back to the USA the same day.

Keith

If you can't stay in Rome for a couple of nights (which I recommend!) your best option might be to take the latest possible flight, and book the ship's tour. I recommend this option because they will take your luggage along on the bus, and I doubt you'd have time to check your luggage using local transportation and still see anything of Rome. On our cruise, the "Glimpse of Rome & Airport Transfer" was $129 and only offered to guests with flights 3:00 PM or later.

I'd like to see Rome after disembarking my cruise in Civitavecchia, but I must return to the states on the same day. Is it possible to spend some time sightseeing in Rome after disembarking but before flying back to the states? What could I do with my luggage? Thanks for any ideas.

I will try to actually anwer your question rather than reschedule your trip.

Self-disembark if you can (take your luggage off the ship yourself...this means good planning). If you cannot, then get off the ship and claim your bags asap in the morning.

Make your way to the train station in Civitavecchia and buy a ticket to Roma Termini which is the main train station in Rome. The ride is approx. 1.5 hrs.

When you get off the train, walk towards the main station and take the ramp to the lower level. There you will find a well run facility that will store your bag(s) for the day (for a fee).

Go sightseeing. In Termini you can take the Metro (subway) to many of the sites that are popular (Coloseo is one stop...at the Colosseum).

About 3-3 1/2 hrs before your flight, get back to Termini, retrieve your bags and find your way to the Leonardo Express (train), which only goes to the airport. Last year it was about €12 for the ride.

Once at the airport, find your way to check-in for your flight and have a safe trip home.

Note: We did this exact itinerary in October 08 and it worked very well. Unfortunately there is SO much to see in Rome that it requires more than one trip to see it all. :)

Archived