Poll: What do men actually wear on Princess Formal Nights?

Times Prince

On Formal Nights, PRINCESS CRUISES ONLY, what do I actually wear?  

587 members have voted

1. 1. On Formal Nights, PRINCESS CRUISES ONLY, what do I actually wear?

• I (or my spouse) wear a tuxedo to the main dining room (MDR).
    • I wear a suit and tie to the main dining room
    • I have worn either a tuxedo or a suit/tie to the MDR
    • I wear a sport coat/slacks with a tie to the MDR
    • I wear a sport coat/slacks with open collar or turtleneck to the MDR
    • I do not wear a coat/tie and have NEVER been queried about dress code by the Maitre'D
    • I do not wear a coat/tie and HAVE been queried about dress code or been turned away by the Maitre'D
    • I choose to dress casual and do not eat in the main dining room on formal nights

Great idea for a thread - well done Times Prince :D
Thanks - I find it fascinating that the statistics are saying only about 10% of the people voting in the poll as of this post are posting their opinion as well. This is what I was really hoping for, that the statistics of what people actually wear would balance out the opinions we often see posted by the vocal few.

The poll did leave out one question that would be interesting to know.

If on formal nights people were given the choice to dress formally or not I really wonder how many would choose the more formal attire. :confused:

Good idea for another poll. Please be sure to add a lot of choices giving the many options available. From all the opinions I've seen over the years, this is definitely not a black/white yes/no subject.

Unfortunately, although this is a good poll with interesting results it only shows the small minority of people that come to Cruise Critic and choose to respond. I'd be interested in seeing how the final tally here would compare to the actual numbers that enter the dining rooms in there chosen attire, however I don't know that that would even be possible. From my three most recent Princess cruises, I'd guess just from scanning the rooms the number in no suit/tux to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% give or take a couple of percent. The only person I saw turned away last week was a guy in a T-shirt with an offensive slogan, the maitre d' requested he change the shirt to something more appropriate before returning.

DH wears a suit and for our next cruise (and he did on our first) a Tux. We enjoy doing formal and dressing up. We do not change after dinner. When DH wears his suit his shirt and tie matches my dress. I use to have my formals pressed before going but now I have the ship do it. It is actually cheaper and I don't have to worry about having it get wrinkled again.

And that is fine. The ones I have a problem with are the ones in SHORTS or JEANS!!!!

Now I'm curious, I wonder how many of the people that vigorously defend the dress suggestions made by the cruise lines are really speaking against the people that really push the limits with their choice of attire versus those that are in dress clothes, just without a jacket...

The poll did leave out one question that would be interesting to know.

If on formal nights people were given the choice to dress formally or not I really wonder how many would choose the more formal attire. I'm sure there are many that do so only because the cruise line indicates it in their suggested rules. :confused:

I would continue to dress formally if given the choice. First, because it's more fun than dressing casually (I look awesome in a slinky cocktail dress; I look just moderately awesome in jeans and t-shirt!). But the serious reason is that the dining room ambiance is more formal than casual: white linen, fine china, waiters in "tuxedos" -- I was taught that one dresses to fit the ambiance of one's destination. Hence, one does not wear white tie and tails to dinner at Applebees, nor does one wear capri pants and a sleeveless top to tea at the Ritz-Carlton. The ship's dining room more closely resembles the latter venue than the former; I would feel uncomfortable dressed too casually in there at dinner.

I always wear a black tux. I also wear a white tux blazer,black pants,and black bow tie.to mix it up from time to time.I strongly sugest if anyone is going on more than one cruise, to buy a tux it comes out a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run.you can pick up a nice one for $150.00

I would continue to dress formally if given the choice. First, because it's more fun than dressing casually (I look awesome in a slinky cocktail dress; I look just moderately awesome in jeans and t-shirt!). But the serious reason is that the dining room ambiance is more formal than casual: white linen, fine china, waiters in "tuxedos" -- I was taught that one dresses to fit the ambiance of one's destination. Hence, one does not wear white tie and tails to dinner at Applebees, nor does one wear capri pants and a sleeveless top to tea at the Ritz-Carlton. The ship's dining room more closely resembles the latter venue than the former; I would feel uncomfortable dressed too casually in there at dinner.

DH wore a tux for the entire formal evening and enjoyed it, matching the ambiance of the formal dining room. We enjoyed 'dressing up', with time to get ready and 'stepping out in style'. It was always fun to watch the fashion parade as everyone went from the dining room to the shows as we had a drink and a dance before dinner. He is gone now, but I still 'dress formally' for formal night in the dining room.

FYI.

The Tuxedo is a wonderful garment. Invented in New York.. No not New York City.Not in New City, NY either.

But where the name implies. Tuxedo and Tuxedo Park, New York. Yes there is a RailRoad Station there still.

It was known to have a large what is called underworld population too then....

I do not care how anyone dresses or what they wear ( except I love American made) as it is up to the individual as well Dress Codes.

I do own a few American Made Tuxedos and like there fit and finish. America has the very best Textiles and Garments.

By BUYING American quality products you do save and obtain the very best.

Ask for them at your habidasher you will get them.

My OH always wears his tux on formal nights . It's part of cruising , we enjoy the chance to dress up and if they stopped it we would feel that part of the tradition had gone . we may as well go on Ocean Village .

On our first cruise, many years ago my husband said he didn`t want a dinner suit. Once he started wearing one he loved it. He says it makes him feel good.

He now alternates between black dinner suit, white tux, or his full formal kilt outfit (not all on the same cruise).

When I retired, I threw away all my ties which I had not worn in years anyway. I wear khaki pants, long sleeve dress shirt and often a blue blazer on formal night and have never been questioned. On the Alaska cruise I wore a pull over sweater instead of the coat since it was a bit cold for me. Non-formal nights will see me in jeans/khaki pants and polo or short sleeve shirt. On all nights I wear a pair of leather sandals except Alaska where I wore hiking boots again because it was cold and I needed them when off the ship. On Caribbean cruises it is back to the stateroom immediately after dinner and change into shorts, tshirt and Tevas. On the Alaska cruise I changed back into my jeans, long sleeve shirt and hiking boots.

(Princess only) Men's Formal Poll

We have often seen opinions about what is worn or could be worn to the Main Dining Room. The Princess Cruises dress code for formal nights is fairly clear.

Many posts are from a small set of persons with fairly strong viewpoints about what they would LIKE to see, and may not reflect what is actually done.

For instance I have read posters who adamantly support casual dress but admit they always dress per the formal dress suggestions.

Several, including myself, have posted approximate statistics on type of men's dress observed (e.g. 40% tuxedo, 45% suit, 10% sport coat/tie, 5% other), which being based on observation may be conflicting data to the Cruise Critic reader.

The intent of this poll is to see what the real statistics may be for a sample of Cruise Critic members who have sailed on Princess Cruises.

This poll should:

• only show what the man actually wears. This is not a "what should be allowed" poll.
  • Be for Princess Cruises only (not other cruise lines)
  • show one person = one vote (not who can post more comments supporting a position)
  • enable all Cruise Critic members to stand up and be counted (poll is anonymous).

The objective is to have the numbers speak for themselves for those cruisers who wonder what is the "norm" for men's wear on formal nights.

Military wear Mess Dress.

I wear my white or blue Army mess uniforms on all formal nights to honor my shipmates and those citizens who pay my salary and allow me to serve. Sometimes I just wish others would return the favor by showing their best - not their worst.

Zouave

P1110001.jpg.047423cd9a3480d9f33fa01cf34f1f60.jpg

Just back from Alaska on the Coral Princess, not very many dressed up. Actually was shocked, 65% wore jeans to dinner most nights.

I guess CC member must be better dresser than the average cruiser. I regularly see comment like the post right above ("65% wore jaens") and yet less than 10% of the responders do not wear a jacket and tie and one third wear a tuxedo.

I wear my white or blue Army mess uniforms on all formal nights to honor my shipmates and those citizens who pay my salary and allow me to serve. Sometimes I just wish others would return the favor by showing their best - not their worst.

Zouave

You and your wife look fantastic!!!!

I guess CC member must be better dresser than the average cruiser. I regularly see comment like the post right above ("65% wore jaens") and yet less than 10% of the responders do not wear a jacket and tie and one third wear a tuxedo.

I do not believe that 65% of the people wore jeans on formal night. Not on a Princess cruise.

The poll was a great idea. It put into perspective, the probable numbers of people who comply to the dress requests :D by wearing at least a jacket.

This should not bother those who wish to do what they want. After all, they aren't there to please anyone but themselves.:p

My feelings also. Now if we could only get this message to everyone.

I also saw many more people wearing jeans on our Alaskan cruise last year than previous years & it probably had a lot to do with the fact of the extra luggage charges but it wasn't any where's close to 65 %. (practical items are more important the a tux) Also, wearing jeans in the DR is a relatively new ruling for Princess & lots of folks don't even realize that there acceptable.

Zouave

Everyone should see this post!!!!!!!!

Archived