how to manage an airport with knee replacement

bcnvcanada

Hello, I just found out that I will have to have a total knee replacement next month, before my upcoming cruises. I will be traveling alone, have a carry on bag and lag top in it. I am concerned about how tsa and overseas airports handle this. Does someone watch you goods while you are being hand searched. Thanks for your help. Oversea airports will be fco (rome) and eze (buenos aires). Again thanks....................

Why would you be hand searched? Will you be unable to walk through the scanner?

When I had a pat down search last month, my things were with the agent, behind the counter, and I could see them the entire time

Take a letter from your doctor so they know you had the replacement ..may not stop the pat down.

Our friend has several pieces of metal in his body even though he carries a note & his xrays he still gets pulled over.

An 85 yr old may be dangerous;)

I wear a short leg brace held in place (partly) by my left shoe, so I don't take that shoe off and metal pieces in the brace routinely set off the detector. I tell them in advance, and routinely go through the drill of getting patted down and having my shoe and brace swabbed for residue. Usually the TSA people want to know where my stuff is (which bin on the belt/rollers) and set it aside for me. Sometimes it just sits at the end of the rollers, but I can see it the whole time. Nothing amiss has ever happened to it, but I don't carry a laptop so I can't comment on that. And, my experiences have all been domestic airports and San Juan. Mainly, be sure to allow plenty of time for this drill.

David

I had a knee replacement 10 years ago. Since then I have always been

wanded and patted down. If I am alone I tell the TSA personnel and they

either retrieve my belongs or are sure that I am able to see them. I used

to carry a card with my Dr. name and surgery and that did not matter.

The only airport that I have not been stopped at was in Rome. They just waved me thru.

Last week in Copenhagen, I was patted down by a male. First time that

has happened. And I hope not the last at my age.

Just tell the TSA agent you had knee surgery. More than likely they will use the hand scanner on you. The TSA agent (should) retrieve your items so you can see them while you are being patted down. Although when I was pulled aside for a random search, they just left my stuff on the belt so anyone could have grabbed them. I asked the TSA to grab my items so someone wouldn't steal them and he wouldn't do it. Finally, another TSA agent yelled who's bags were left on the belt and I said mine. He did mention to the TSA agent that my items should have been pulled off the belt. I had a rookie that had problems turning on the hand wand! And these people are here to protect us? Maybe they don't teach them where the power switch is in training.

I was on a charter flight out of Bullhead City, Arizona with my knee replacement. When I went thru the x-ray it did not alarm. I had a long

wait at the airport and was bored so I asked a TSA personnel gal why it

wouldn't have alarmed and she told me probably the atmosphere.

My wife had a hip replacement so the same problem. Difference is I get all the stuff. When I have trouble getting through no one is watching the stuff. I think I would ask the person who is checking you out to get your bin and bring it over to you.

If you have connectiing flights might want to ask for assistance in getting between the two gates since you just had the operaton. If it is a long distance and you are short on time this can help. Ask when you buy your ticket and confirm when you check in.

If asked to go through secondary screening, politely speak at that time and say that you want to maintain at least a visual on your belongings until they are with you. If they want to send you to an area, politely request that your bags be brought with you before you move there. Maintain the visual with your bags and be polite, but firm. If at any time you have a "problem", politely state your issue and, if you don't get a suitable request, ask for a supervisor to work out the issue. Don't raise your voice, but make rational, reasoned requests.

Why would you be hand searched? Will you be unable to walk through the scanner?When I had a pat down search last month, my things were with the agent, behind the counter, and I could see them the entire time

Yes!

I had a knee replacement 10 years ago. Since then I have always been

wanded and patted down. If I am alone I tell the TSA personnel and they

either retrieve my belongs or are sure that I am able to see them. I used

to carry a card with my Dr. name and surgery and that did not matter.

The only airport that I have not been stopped at was in Rome. They just waved me thru.

Last week in Copenhagen, I was patted down by a male. First time that

has happened. And I hope not the last at my age.

If you can get my wife's OK, it won't be!!:p

I was in a glass tube (like a hamster tube) behind a lady. There was a male examiner available, but she was first in line, so he could only sit around looking bored. I tried to strike up a conversation, but I dont speak German and she didn't speak English. Borring!!

If asked to go through secondary screening, politely speak at that time and say that you want to maintain at least a visual on your belongings until they are with you. If they want to send you to an area, politely request that your bags be brought with you before you move there. Maintain the visual with your bags and be polite, but firm. If at any time you have a "problem", politely state your issue and, if you don't get a suitable request, ask for a supervisor to work out the issue. Don't raise your voice, but make rational, reasoned requests.

Sounds like good advice, but fortunately I still have a wife, and she patiently keeps my stuff and waits (and waits) for me until I can resume our trip thru the airport. I will NOT fly alone. My hat's off to anyone who does!:)

Archived