Melissa's Crazy Adventure on a Backward Cruise!

Melissa describes the conveyance:

"After inching closer to the gate that separates the yard from the river, more painful waiting! The sky was finally dark and the air frigid. The reason for the delay: The water level had to be just high enough. Midnight brought out more snacks including soup and hot chocolate, which were clear favorites among the nearly frozen. Particularly women in open toed shoes!

"At 12:30 a.m., we were off. The gate is the narrowest part through which Equinox will travel and there were just inches to spare on either side between the vessel and the banks of the Ems.

"So, moving backward...really doesn't feel much different than moving forward. In fact, you can barely feel movement at all at our slow speed (top we'll reach is 9 knots; ship can travel nearly 30 under it's own power).

"What WAS moving though was the crowd of onlookers from Germany and Holland that turned out for the event. Even in the cold, dark, wee hours, cameras were flashing from both sides like fireworks. A nearby boat was playing Bocelli's "Time to Say Goodbye". You have to think that for the crew at Meyer Werft and the folks who live here, this is an emotional night! Equinox has been a part of the landscape for too long to let it leave without fan fare.

"Did anyone see it on the Web cam? I wonder what the view of this megaship being towed backward by a tug looks like from the ground. I have to imagine it's like a duck dragging an elephant through the water!

"But that's just an idea of the size difference. Really, it's much more graceful :) and I can truly say I've been on the first cruise aboard Equinox!"

Sent from my iPhone

I also can not thank you enough for letting us be " part of it " . It is always as if a beloved one is leaving, when a ship finally leaves Pappenburg. I visited they yard last year, when Soli was still there and it is an experience in itself! So I can imagine how it is to be on board right now as Melissa!

Greetings and good night!

Michael

Thanks to everyone at CC for this great information. What an amazing opportunity for those there.

I missed the beginning of the conveyance, does anyone have a video link to share for the send off?

Can't wait for the pictures. June

I got up early here in Macao to watch the conveyance. I've been watching these ships get built at Meyer-Werft since they started building Solstice. I was thinking there would be a Webcam on the ship and not just on the Meyer-Werft dock so that's somewhat disappointing. I know a few years ago Celebrity got rid of all their ship webcams despite the fact that sister line RCCL kept carrying them atlest for awhile. I would think that having this could only be a positive thing for the ship and help promote business. Any comments from your end? I mean I think we'd all enjoy seeing Melissa partying away and enjoying herself, right?;)

The webcam was a bit blurry in the night, but seeing Equinox disappearing into the dark was exciting. She's on her way!! Melissa thanks so much for taking time to share all this with us as it happens.

Garry--I too can't wait to sail on her for our TA.

The webcam was a bit blurry in the night, but seeing Equinox disappearing into the dark was exciting............

We will be on the Transatlantic also...... can't wait.

Attached some web cam pics for those that missed the live show.

Ship0677-h6CAZPW1QS.jpg.7b5ee6346f0df63e44869da737babf46.jpg

Ship0677-h6a.jpg.6f669318f505d20c1387c736a78a7105.jpg

Ship0677-h6CA5GML78.jpg.a9c15d514691e2a9934ec292f8547f33.jpg

LOL re Melissa partying. Ordinarily I'd totally be in agreement -- it would be fun to see her and the others hanging out in the Oeaanside, letting the proverbial heads of hair down. But when I talked to her last night (7 p.m. Eastern, so...doing the math...where's the calculator....1 a.m. hers) she sounded EXHAUSTED.

Exhilerated, yes, but I think the combo of jet lag and well, jet lag's enough....

Looking forward to hearing her reports from Q&A.

Carolyn

I got up early here in Macao to watch the conveyance. I've been watching these ships get built at Meyer-Werft since they started building Solstice. I was thinking there would be a Webcam on the ship and not just on the Meyer-Werft dock so that's somewhat disappointing. I know a few years ago Celebrity got rid of all their ship webcams despite the fact that sister line RCCL kept carrying them atlest for awhile. I would think that having this could only be a positive thing for the ship and help promote business. Any comments from your end? I mean I think we'd all enjoy seeing Melissa partying away and enjoying herself, right?;)

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your reply. We’ll “e-chat” later.

Question: USAA reported in their “Explore Cruise & Travel” magazine, “Celebrity Equinox is the Solstice’s sister ship, featuring all the wonderful amenities of the Solstice while weighing in at a slightly lighter 117, 000 tons.” ---- So how did they get to build a ship 5,000 tons lighter? What did they leave out? Or did they switch to fiberglass hull? ;) Maybe you could has some of those very knowledgeable people you are mingling with.

Nessa

It's not true, according to my brilliant husband (Teijo Niemela is editor of Cruise Business News, cruisebusiness.com, a business to business magazine and he's really smart about shipbuilding). He actually took us to task last week for still having the 117,000 ton figure on our website! We've changed it :)

I believe that 117,000 was the figure initially given then it changed as the ship went through design and building processes. It's the same as Solstice at 220,000. Same pax count.

Also, a heads up -- if you ever read that a ship weighs however many tons, that's an error right there. Ships don't weigh tons, they measure tons. So in this case the fact that Equinox measures 220,000 tons. Tons are a measurement of space. It's a calculation of volume.

Carolyn

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your reply. We’ll “e-chat” later.

Question: USAA reported in their “Explore Cruise & Travel” magazine, “Celebrity Equinox is the Solstice’s sister ship, featuring all the wonderful amenities of the Solstice while weighing in at a slightly lighter 117, 000 tons.” ---- So how did they get to build a ship 5,000 tons lighter? What did they leave out? Or did they switch to fiberglass hull? ;) Maybe you could has some of those very knowledgeable people you are mingling with.

Nessa

Melissa's on the long, long three hour bus ride from the debark spot to Amsterdam and reports in on a last memory from the conveyance: "We got to our debark point at Emden at 1 p.m. and are en route to Amsterdam. I've never seen so many cows goats and horses! I was just about to fall asleep last night when I heard Bocelli singing again loudly from an onshore speaker. It was 3 a.m.! I went out on my balcony in pjs and no contacts but could see we just went past a bridge that Meyer Werft actually had to have removed for the passage. Again people were cheering and snapping photos. I waved.

"In all we traveled 26 miles of river."

A dispatch from Melissa, via the bus:

"I’m hearing that “Celebrity Select,” the line’s new, more flexible dining program, will roll out in September. Folks can reserve times ahead of their cruises online or once onboard, and can do different times each day or the same. So if you think early is too early or late is too late, you can schedule for 7 p.m. every night for example. It’s first come, first served.

"If you want a table for two that can't be guaranteed ahead necessarily. Guests will be asked to check with maître d.

"One really good point made today (and frankly other cruise lines should take note): You'll never sit at a table with other diners who've already started a meal. Everyone any given table will have dinner service start at same time."

This came out of today's Q&A onboard Equinox:

"Dan Hanrahan did say were no plans at present to reissue fuel charges."

There's more:

"There are also no plans at present to order ships for Azamara or move more to Tui. Did overhear last night him say it's possible they (assume he meant Celebrity) could place ship order by end of next year.

More from Melissa on a very long, tedious bus ride!

"The Equinox Godmother is chosen and will be announced 6/24. Along same lines as last one but no hints."

Hi Carolyn:), if it is anything close to last time there will be

some tears shed.

If you recall, that was quite a naming ceremony:)

This came out of today's Q&A onboard Equinox:

"Dan Hanrahan did say were no plans at present to reissue fuel charges."

There's more:

"There are also no plans at present to order ships for Azamara or move more to Tui. Did overhear last night him say it's possible they (assume he meant Celebrity) could place ship order by end of next year.

Hi Carolyn & Melissa !

Great news about the surcharges, and the possibility of another ship order down the road. I have to believe that Carnival threw down the gauntlet last week, when they said they were not adding fuel surcharges. That makes it nearly impossible for any of their competition to add surcharges at this point. Let's hope this recent upward move in oil prices is the usual Summer increase, and that prices will fall later in the Summer.

I'm very happy to hear that Celebrity has no plans to transfer any ships for now. Who knows ? If they plan to keep Mercury around, perhaps she will wind up getting some upgrades after all !

The only disappointment, is that Celebrity doesnt have any expansion plans for Azamara. As Azamara is delivering a wonderful product, I thought there was a chance we might hear about some new ships, or a possible transfer. I wish I knew what their long term plans were for Azamara.

If you recall, that was quite a naming ceremony:)

Hi Lois !

It sure was, and was something I will never forget. As Celebrity called it.... It was "A Beautiful Day". I'm sure it will be wonderful on Equinox also !

!

The only disappointment, is that Celebrity doesnt have any expansion plans for Azamara. As Azamara is delivering a wonderful product, I thought there was a chance we might hear about some new ships, or a possible transfer. I wish I knew what their long term plans were for Azamara.

Andy, that is disappointing. I have some friends who went on Journey in April and really enjoyed it. For Helen's parents it was their first venture away from Silverseas and Crystal and they said it held up very well considering the price they paid. In some ways they actually preferred it and hope to return. Helen, like me, loves Celebrity and her comment was it wasn't better than Celebrity, just a more intense X experience on a smaller ship. I hope that whatever they do they don't stray too far from this because it's one of the reasons I want to give them a go.

Thanks for sharing that Phil. Very interesting going backwards

As long as she's going forwards most of the time we are on her I'll be happy;)

Phil

Hi Lois !

It sure was, and was something I will never forget. As Celebrity called it.... It was "A Beautiful Day". I'm sure it will be wonderful on Equinox also !

Andy and Lois,

I missed the last ceremony that you have been referring to. What happened? ? ? ? :confused:

Hi folks,

Finally, an Internet connection! As Carolyn so helpfully relayed via my many phone calls, text messages and potentially wallet-busting e-mails via iPhone, much of Solstice is ready to roll -- but Wi-Fi is a noteable exception :)

It took us a whopping five hours to get from Emden to Amsterdam due to a variety of factors (pouring rain, traffic, detours, "oops, wrong Marriott!" on part of driver...). I'll be posting a few pictures (!), running off to see what I can of Amsterdam while it's still daylight (it's 7:20 as we speak) and then I'll come back tonight to share more -- I'm busting at the seams with information. It was a fascinating experience.

Thanks again to Carolyn for being my messenger yesterday and earlier today. If your questions haven't been answered, hang tight!

Archived