Another Dreaded Balcony Question

bigred4770

Hello all.

Me (35 year old male) and my mother (71) are traveling on the Freedom November 15th. This will be my 11th cruise and my mothers' 12th. All trips have been inside cabins.

This will be our first cruise together sharing a cabin. I booked an inside for $360 but I am wondering if I should switch to a bancony ($630). I read in other posts it gives people space to go to when the other is changing and the like.

My question is whether it is worth it for the price difference. I feel like the savings that I am getting (which I think are unbelievable would be not as good with the balcony.

As well, if this is a factor, this will be my mothers' first carnival cruise - it is not mine.

Hello all.

Me (35 year old male) and my mother (71) are traveling on the Freedom November 15th. This will be my 11th cruise and my mothers' 12th. All trips have been inside cabins.

This will be our first cruise together sharing a cabin. I booked an inside for $360 but I am wondering if I should switch to a bancony ($630). I read in other posts it gives people space to go to when the other is changing and the like.

My question is whether it is worth it for the price difference. I feel like the savings that I am getting (which I think are unbelievable would be not as good with the balcony.

As well, if this is a factor, this will be my mothers' first carnival cruise - it is not mine.

Get the balcony, it's worth it. And good on you traveling with your mum.

Hello all.

Did you ask your mother how she feels? As the mother of an adult son, I would prefer the balcony. An inside would be too cramped and awkward for me.

I've never sailed in an interior cabin. My first two cruises were ocean views. I can't imagine not having a window. I really enjoy being able to look out at the water or leave the curtain open as we're sailing and I'm napping.

For my wedding cruise in May we booked a balcony on the Miracle. It was a nice experience, but I'm going back to an ocean view when I sail the Freedom. My husband and I were hardly ever on the balcony. My mom used hers a lot, as she's a smoker. Also, I found it too humid to keep the balcony door open to sleep.

As for space for chaning, I find the bathroom is spacious enough for changing or I make my own dressing room by opening the bathroom and closet doors. :-D

To me that is too much of a price difference, which ship??

Heck Id book a 1A with port holes which is the same or cheaper than a inside, and if its on a conquest class ship will have two beds (I wouldnt on a fantasy class).

The $360 inside to $630 balcony is a huge jump for the same size cabin, but you do get an extra 35 s.f. of balcony, thats all for almost twice the money. If you guys would sit out there its worth it, but I know we wouldnt. Is the fresh air worth it to you. I would if I was going with a guy, but not if I was cruising with my mom (or sister) since I know she wouldnt sit in the sun, doesnt like the wind blowing on her etc.

Im happy seeing out, my sister could care less even if she can see out.

no - because even though I make good money my mother wouldnt allow me to spend it ! (and here I thought being divorced I would gain independence :) )

So don't tell her the real price........just pretend you got a great upgrade!

Seriously...I would just find it awkward dressing/undressing etc in such a small space. Remember...your a big boy now.......

I would definitely go with the balcony. I've never cruised without one, but my sister has. One of my favorite parts of crusing is having breakfast delivered and eating it on the balcony or having a glass of wine delivered and leasurely getting ready for dinner (including rest time on the balcony). It is also a great place to sit and relax before bed.

lol - I know about the dressing/undressing thing. I figure we would take turns in the washroom or take turns outside of the cabin.

How is the heat/air conditioning in these cabins?

I am sailing on the Freedom.

I never thought an O/V was worth it until I sailed in one. Would I go back to an inside - kicking and screaming. I would be afraid to try a balcony. I am pretty sure I would have to book them for evermore.

We booked a balcony on our second cruise, and that was it for us - could never go back to an OV. Oh, and have to maintain our membership in the Balcony Club, anyway!:p

I love being a BALCONY SNOB. Go for it, there is not a better place on the ship to be while entering and exiting the ports. It's your Mother's 12th cruise, spoil her a little and splurge on her. You will not regret it, except for the fact that you will want a balcony for every cruise from here on out. :D

lol - I know about the dressing/undressing thing. I figure we would take turns in the washroom or take turns outside of the cabin.

How is the heat/air conditioning in these cabins?

I am sailing on the Freedom.

Look....I'm not "into balcony" for the sake of having a balcony.

I don't "sit and relax with a cocktail" before dinner.

I don't "eat my breakfast while watching the waves".

I never had a room temp. problem...inside or outside.

Just logistically....you'll be more comfortable with a balcony.

Even things like "getting up" in the morning can be awkward....because inside rooms are smaller.

Go with the "free upgrade" story....;)

Thanks for the quick replies (I should be working!)

Do you find balcony cabins get inordinately warm with all the glass? That is always one of her major complaints - or is the breeze good?

The balcony cabins have heavy drapes that can be closed if the room is too warm from sunlight, but I doubt that will be a real issue in Nov. Room temps have always been comfortable for us, and we normally have the balcony door propped open when in the cabin. Of course the room stewards are great about adjusting the air conditioning unit to meat lock temps while we are out of the cabin, grrrrr.

Good for mom! I'd rather have the money to spend, LOL.

Usually, I'd also rather have the money to spend. Since our 7/27 will be our honeymoon (dspite our 2/15 wedding...two teachers!), I figured we should go for a balcony, albeit an obstructed view.

That said, I've been on four other cruises, all inside. Despite the initial weirdness about waking up in utter darkness, it never fazed me.

Hello all.

As with many purchases you and you alone have to decide whether or not a balcony is worth it to you. If you spend most of your day wandering around the ship and very little time in your cabin, maybe not. My DW and I enjoy the

peace and solitude a balcony gives us. She likes having tea and a light breakfast there in the am. We enjoy sittting there and watching the ocean roll by. Those are our reasons for paying the extra $$ for a balcony.

I did find that once we made the step to balcony cabins when possible we relaxed more. When we did insides we were always up on deck because we didn't want to feel like we were missing something.

Thanks all for the input! Is the balcony a decent size on Carnival?

Decent size is in the eye of the beholder.

The regular balconies are on the small side - I prefer an extended. Of course for just you and mom the regular should be okay.

Archived