ABC islands among the safestto travel in the world!

caribbeanboy

You don't have to sell me on them, that's for sure. Actually my first cruise EVER (1992) was to the ABCs.

Unfortunately I'd have to fly from NY to San Juan, which I'm not as thrilled about doing as NY to FL...

1 incident in how many years, that article doesn't say they are crime free but the safest.

Agree. ABC islands are really the safest and cleanest. My 2nd land vacation was to Aruba and I loved the beaches and the water there. Besides the locals do not seem super poor like Jamaica or Haiti.

Aruba is probably safer than your hometown....Natalie was a "fluke"--a kid doing something she shouldn't have, and got into major trouble....assuming that you don't act in an irresponsible manner, your chances of being a "victim" of crime are little to none.

Unfortunately, Natalee appears to have gone off to a beach at night with a d-bag, something most casual cruisers won't be doing...

I think the biggest lesson learned about the Holloway case is the government's (Aruba) ability to handle such cases.

That being said, I agree with the article. I am not a touron, and I have an eye for trouble. I noticed Aruba and Curacao to be among the safest places I've been while abroad.

BTW, my homeport of Key West is very safe as well! ;)

We have returned to Curacao 3 times after going on a cruise there. We always stay at the Marriott and think the hotel and staff are great. The restaurants on the island are fabulous and very cosmopolitan - more than enough to keep you happy. Driving around the island and it's interior you find some wonderful places to enjoy like the locals do. Aruba is so overdone now it is a shame. We honeymooned there in 1993 and it's like a different world now, too bad. Won't spend any money there now, too much like Florida and wall to wall people, imho. Just visit on a cruise and leave....Enjoy

Aruba is probably safer than your hometown....Natalie was a "fluke"--a kid doing something she shouldn't have, and got into major trouble....assuming that you don't act in an irresponsible manner, your chances of being a "victim" of crime are little to none.

I must agree, Aruba is safer than my hometown of Houston, and the Natalie incident was a fluke, but to say that if you don't act in an irresponsible manner your chances of being a "victim", (as you call it, she was definitely a victim), are little to none is somewhat naive don't you think? Are store clerks acting irresponsible when they get robbed? Are kids that get abducted walking home from school being irresponsible? Your comment almost seems to blame her for what happened to her :(

amybeth- Holland America has a cruise to Aruba and Curacao from Fort Lauderdale. We took it last year.

I've always wanted to try the slightly more elegant HAL, but I'm concerned about SOOOO many reviews I've read saying how quiet the ship is at night. Would you agree with that?

Archived