General & Freedom questions.....

nmyorkiemom

Freedom on 7/26. Traveling w/ DNiece & her family which is a 1 yr old & a 2 yr old. Have a couple of questions.....

Does anyone know if the Main Dining room will have access to cups w/ lids/straws, or does she need to remember to bring sippy cups to the DR with her? I know she will have them onboard.

Do we need to arrange w/ Maitre' d when we board to have a booster chair & high chair, or will they pick that up from our reservations?

Where is the best place to see the Pilot jump to his Pilot boat?

Does anyone know the Club 02 excursion on the 6 day on Freedom?

Thanks......

Freedom on 7/26. Traveling w/ DNiece & her family which is a 1 yr old & a 2 yr old. Have a couple of questions.....

Does anyone know if the Main Dining room will have access to cups w/ lids/straws, or does she need to remember to bring sippy cups to the DR with her? I know she will have them onboard.

Do we need to arrange w/ Maitre' d when we board to have a booster chair & high chair, or will they pick that up from our reservations?

Where is the best place to see the Pilot jump to his Pilot boat?

Does anyone know the Club 02 excursion on the 6 day on Freedom?

Thanks......

Since you need cups with lids she should probably bring them. Even if the server can get them, it may really slow things down.

I would not count on seeing the pilot jump, all of the decks that you might be able to see from are so high that it takes a real lean over the rail to actually see him jump. You can see him approach and get close but to see the jump it is straight down about eight or ten floors in a building.

One place that you might be able to see the pilot boat guy jumping to his boat is at the front of the ship. There is a 'secret' little deck that very few people visit that I learned about here on the cc boards. You have to go to the lido deck cabin area at the front of the ship. There is a door on the port side, all the way to the front that takes you out to a deck on the front of the ship. I believe that you can get to a secret deck on deck 10 as well. There is a pretty good view of the length of the ship from up there. In fact, while I was on the Valor--same deck plan as Freedom--we watched some pier runners run all the way up to the gangway, so I know you can see the side of the ship.

One place that you might be able to see the pilot boat guy jumping to his boat is at the front of the ship. There is a 'secret' little deck that very few people visit that I learned about here on the cc boards. You have to go to the lido deck cabin area at the front of the ship. There is a door on the port side, all the way to the front that takes you out to a deck on the front of the ship. I believe that you can get to a secret deck on deck 10 as well. There is a pretty good view of the length of the ship from up there. In fact, while I was on the Valor--same deck plan as Freedom--we watched some pier runners run all the way up to the gangway, so I know you can see the side of the ship.

:eek: What is a pilot boat?? This will be my third cruise and I didn't know anything about some guy jumping to his boat from the ship!! The first time I saw "pilot boat" mentioned was in reference to the guy they rescued yesterday.

There is a boat that comes along side the ship and drops off a guy--the pilot-- that helps the Captain guide the ship into and out of the ports. He knows the harbour well, and therefore assists the captain as he brings the ship into or out of port.

The pilot boat brings out the pilot when the ship is docking, who then has to 'transfer' himself from his little boat to the cruise ship, or any other boat that comes into the harbour. He rides out with the ship as they sail away, and gets onto his own little boat when they are far enough out of the port. They might use little rope ladders, but I think that mostly he just kinda jumps. :eek:

These were taken on Elation as we left Port Canaveral. I was up on the front of the ship on the deck above the bridge wing. Pilot is on Jacob's Ladder waiting for the pilot boat to get into position:

PortCanaveralpilot.jpg

Transfer!

PortCanaveralpilot2.jpg

EM

Archived