Eastern Seaboard Cruise & Hurricanes in June

MICHLEV1974

My family is considering a reunion cruise out of NJ or NY in June/July 2011. My question is for the seasoned cruisers out here that frequently depart from NJ or NY and head south to the Caribbean:

Have you experienced cancellations or a completely different itinerary bcs of hurricanes coming up the eastern seaboard (ie planned for caribbean and got canada instead?)??

So far, I have only sailed out of ports in Florida at the end of hurricane season and never had a problem.

I don't have a problem with the ship being redirected to avoid disaster. I want to pick the right month to avoid the least possibility of being routed North. I can understand if we head North, though. I purchased the Farmer's Almanac to check the history too.

Your thoughts?

Even tho June is the start of the "season", there are relatively few major storms that early in the year....who knows what it will be like a year from now?

The odds are in your favor of keeping to your original itinerary.....I would do June!

It can always happen but we have taken several cruise over the years in that time frame out of NYC and did not have a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to book it. I would not worry about a storm in NYC then and if there was a storm somewhere in the caribbean the cruise line would adjust the itinerary to get out of its path.

Keith

Even tho June is the start of the "season", there are relatively few major storms that early in the year....who knows what it will be like a year from now?

The odds are in your favor of keeping to your original itinerary.....I would do June!

I agree, June is probably one of the quietest months for hurricanes, most hit in September and October. That is why the rates are so low those months.

Here in Florida at this time of year we get the normal afternoon thunderstorms that last for an hour and then the sun comes back out, so you may get that in the caribbean too, not sure.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Friends of the family told my parents that they booked a cruise for a 10 day out of Jersey and were excited for some warm weather....

They had the unfortunate luck of getting re-routed to Canada. They had zero sweatshirts and zero pants. They packed for sunny hot Caribbean.

We live in Rhode Island, so driving to Jersey and getting on a cruise ship isn't a far drive. However, their first port of call was Boston, MA which is about an hour's drive from home...bummer. They were disappointed, needless to say. It was their first cruise and they did zero homework on the itinerary changing...shame on them!

I don't want a family gang fight if we drive to Jersey or NY and our first port of call is Boston. They might wage a mutiny and have me walking the plank. And to be honest, I don't need that kind of pressure.

I figured we could all save on airfare if we left out of NJ or NY rather than FL. It would really be a deal breaker if we had to add @ $250/300 to everyone's price just to cover airfare.

I really need encouragement out here to feel good about this decision.

I aim to please and it would really put a damper on my fun time onboard if our ship headed north. I guess, sometimes you just have to take a chance!

Our kids get out of school typically @ third week of June, that's why we are looking at June/July.

Archived