Alaska Cruise: Clothes..Should and Shouldn't have

a1chemist

We are leaving this week for a Princess 12 day Alaska Cruise Tour on Sapphire Princess. Weather reports suggest highs in the low 40s and highs in the low 60s and of course some rain. For those of you who may have traveled to Alaska recently, I am interested in

What clothes I brought I really did not need

What clothes I should have brought and did not

What were the most essential items for dealing with weather

thanks

I traveled 5-31 through 6-7, on the Star.

I did not look at the weather report before we left, so I was not well prepared. They were having record temps that week, and it was hot. Almost none of the stores have air conditioning, and some of them were too hot to stay in.

My suggestion is to look at the weather report right before you leave. I wanted my sandles and a pair of shorts when at ports. On deck, it was cool, but not cold. Inside was very comfortable, sweaters were not needed.

When viewing the Fjords, just about everyone had on jackets, and sunglasses, no hats, scarves or gloves.

Hope this helps, have a great time.

My DH and I bought those Weather Channel jackets before we left, and they were great! They are water-proof and wind-resistant, and they have a fleece lining that can zip out, so essentially it's 3 jackets. We mostly wore them all together, but occasionally used just the water-proof outside alone or the fleece alone. Of course, we did get some funny looks when we were buying them on a 90 degree day in NJ before we left for Alaska!

We're going September 5th and I'm taking a fleece jacket, a sweatshirt, a scarf and gloves. My husband will have similar attire, though he will probably layer more than I will. We had these same items in South America which had similar weather and it served us well. We will also have to carry this clothing on board our flights, because in no way will I use our precious suitcase space to attempt to stuff it in. :D

Most days wore we wore jeans, long sleeve knit shirt and fleece vest. On the warmer days on the tour we wore shorts, tee shirts and still had the fleece vest as the mornings were cool. Take a fleece jacket, gloves, ear warmers for glacier viewing.

Most days wore we wore jeans, long sleeve knit shirt and fleece vest. On the warmer days on the tour we wore shorts, tee shirts and still had the fleece vest as the mornings were cool. Take a fleece jacket, gloves, ear warmers for glacier viewing.

OOPS....forgot about the ear warmers. Got them for a buck on our Amazon cruise.

I would leave the heavy sweaters and heavy jackets at home. As has been said, layers, layers, layers. I bring tank tops to use as an extra layer of warmth to wear under a shirt that's under a light sweater or fleece vest that's under a rain jacket. It can be cold when you disembark but warm up during the day so leave the heavy stuff at home. When you bring layers, you can use them on their own or together, making your wardrobe a lot more flexible.

LL Bean has some great fleece vests and lightweight fleece jackets that take up no room in packing yet are nice and warm if needed. I love the lightly-quilted reversible jackets from Appleseeds that I can use either during the day or evening and reverse for a different "look" the next day. They pack flat and take up very little room. I also have a rain jacket from Appleseeds that is sturdy but packs into it's own pocket so you can stuff it in a backpack or small bag on tour.

The ten-day forecasts for the port calls are kinda helpful, we found. I hedged and brought long-sleeved shirts, mostly, and found I'd been too pessimistic.

For glacier viewing, I had on a long-sleeved t-shirt and was uncomfortably warm (!) - the only time I wore the fleece I brought was for the first half of our time in college fjord, between 5 and 6:30 pm. I purposely did not bring a shell layer, and I can't imagine having wanted gloves, a hat or anything even remotely not suited for 60s-70s temps.

It was actually hilarious seeing other pax out on deck in gear that was suitable for technical mountaineering while others splashed in the pool.

You can't go wrong with some items from Lands End. Hubby and I each had a fleece vest, zip up fleece, rain jacket (and we needed it for the extra warmth) scarfs, mittens, ear muffs and a hat. we didn't need it all everyday, but used it all on the cruise. Some days we wore shorts and golf shirts, but added the fleece for layers. On the balcony cruising the glaciers, it was really cold. Maybe not the air so much, but the water was frigid and you could feel it when you leaned over. We went to Alaska last August (early) on Hal.

Hopes this helps.

Kathie

Thanks for the helpful information, We are sailing on ther Star on September 13th. We got the Lands End ear warmers on sale, and we have gloves. My waterproof windbreaker has a hood, if it's windy and chilly, and I have a lightweight fleece jacket I could wear under it if needed. I'm planning on jeans for the daytime, and will take some long sleeve and short sleeve tops so I have both options available to wear with the jeans.

I'm still trying to figure out what to take for dining and dress up nights. I'll probably do the LBD I have taken before for formal nights, and a couple pairs of dress pants with a few nice tops for resort casual nights.

I really want to pack as light as possible, and will try to avoid taking my 29" suitcase I use for 2 week cruises.

For glacier viewing, I had on a long-sleeved t-shirt and was uncomfortably warm (!) - the only time I wore the fleece I brought was for the first half of our time in college fjord, between 5 and 6:30 pm. I purposely did not bring a shell layer, and I can't imagine having wanted gloves, a hat or anything even remotely not suited for 60s-70s temps.
When you're close to the glaciers, it can be quite chilly. After all, there's ice in the water all around you. If you're from a warm climate, you will feel the cold more than someone from a cooler climate. Heck, if you go to FL in December, almost all of the people you see in the ocean are from the snow states; the locals are the ones bundled up in sweaters.

Thank you so much for this post. We leave in three week- and I am trying to figure out what to bring. I do have a Columbia "rain suit" that is very light weight, but warm. I will bring that because it has numerous functions.

As an aside, it is black and not the traditional yellow (think Gorton's fisherman or the Morton Salt Girl!). :)

My wife and I just got back last week from the june 7 -14th alaska RT seattle on the Star and the weather was much better then what was forcasted a couple of days before we left. Bring a couple of bathing suits(they dont take up any room) because we were in Juneau and the forecast said 59 degrees and it wound up being 81 degrees so we were on the deck and in the pool sweating:) and swimming...People we met said the wished they packed for unexpected warm weather...but didnt. Dont forget your binoculars. (they sell them on the ship starting at $110.00) so get some before you sail. Have a wonderful time and enjoy your trip!

Alaska cruises are very casual. I wish I had brought more long sleeve t-shirt type tops and a couple of button down medium weight sweater.

Bring some crops and shorts. I got a great tan a week ago.

Have fun.

<snip>It was actually hilarious seeing other pax out on deck in gear that was suitable for technical mountaineering while others splashed in the pool.

Ahahaha. I agree :D

I packed meanly and wore everything apart from my wind-proof gloves and thermal long sleeve tshirt.

Most days I wore either jeans, hiking pants or cargo pants with layered stuff on top.

When you're close to the glaciers, it can be quite chilly. After all, there's ice in the water all around you. If you're from a warm climate, you will feel the cold more than someone from a cooler climate. Heck, if you go to FL in December, almost all of the people you see in the ocean are from the snow states; the locals are the ones bundled up in sweaters.

It doesn't have to be December. Just when the temps go below 70. Brrrrr.....:D

The post about people in the pool with those in mountaineering suits is so true!!! We have cruised Alaska 3 times and think we are getting it down.

Leave the long/thermal underwear at home along with the heavy arctic jacket, ski hats, ugg boots and rain suit at home.

Bring jeans, shorts, a swim suit, a good sweatshirt or fleece vest, long sleeve shirt and decent walking shoes. A good windbreaker or water resistant jacket goes a long way. Combine that with some sun screen and bug spray and clothes for formal night and the dining room and you should be set.

We were on the Star June 7-14 and we wore shorts in each port (Skagway and the Yukon was a little cool).:D

If it gets cold, you can buy fleece jackets in the port for like $12.

Have a great cruise.

The post about people in the pool with those in mountaineering suits is so true!!! We have cruised Alaska 3 times and think we are getting it down.

Leave the long/thermal underwear at home along with the heavy arctic jacket, ski hats, ugg boots and rain suit at home.

Bring jeans, shorts, a swim suit, a good sweatshirt or fleece vest, long sleeve shirt and decent walking shoes. A good windbreaker or water resistant jacket goes a long way. Combine that with some sun screen and bug spray and clothes for formal night and the dining room and you should be set.

We were on the Star June 7-14 and we wore shorts in each port (Skagway and the Yukon was a little cool).:D

If it gets cold, you can buy fleece jackets in the port for like $12.

Have a great cruise.

Okay...I'm fresh off Sapphire Princess (yesterday morning - AMAZING trip - will post a review after some shut-eye), and we had an entire week of cold, windy, rainy weather.

I packed a little bit of everything, so I was generally fine, but there was not a single day I didn't wear my rain coat/windbreaker, and I wore at least a long-sleeved shirt and fleece vest every day. I don't think we had a high more than 60 degrees the entire trip and the wind was intense. There wasn't a single day I would have considered shorts other than those I jogged in. I would second that to my short-sleeved shirts. I ran in them and slept in them - and that was it.

All that to say - the weather varies. :-) I packed a lot of my clothes based on the weather the two weeks prior to my cruise, which I later learned from our cruise director were just plain crazy amazing weather days. I ended up buying a $20 reversible fleece jacket in Ketchikan - and saw 50 on the ship just like it by mid-afternoon! :-) I've lived in Iowa my entire life - and I'm a huge fan of winter - but 50 degrees in the midwest is nothing when you add ocean breeze and WIND!! BURRRR!

I agree with the above poster - pack layers - but I would personally leave out the shorts unless your week is forecast for much higher temperatures than we had last week!!

And have a great trip - last week was just awesome!!!!!!

Just off Golden yesterday - 4th trip to Alaska. The weather can vary and change so layers are key when packing.

gloves are nice to have if you go to Mendenhal Glacier and on Glacier viewing day. Warm deck blankets are available if you need them while out on deck so if your coat isn't warm enought you can use a blanket. ( only one out of four trips was it ever cold enough that I needed a warm coat and that was because it was rainy and windy. I just added some layers and was fine)

Some sort of waterproof or water resistent windbreaker or coat with hood - it can be rainy. Sweatshirt or fleece vest to layer. small folding umbrella if you desire or coat has no hood.

Shoes you can walk easily in that you don't mind getting dirty if you are going to walk on any trails up at Mt. Roberts or if walking out to Nugget Falls at Mendenhal Glacier.

Have a wonderful trip. :)

Like everyone is saying, you just never know what the weather will be like. We were on the Star June 7 - 14th. I had thrown in a couple pair of shorts but we never used them. We also never used the long underwear. I should have taken a couple more short sleeve t-shirts..........you could always wear them under a long sleeve one. There were some nights up on deck that it was freezing! We had Colombia rain jackets that worked great along with warm clothes under. We also used our hats and gloves a couple times. The one thing that we did not need and I would not pack is boots. I kept reading about needing ankle boots or hiking boots. There was no snow. Not even in the Yukon. Except on the mountains, that is :).

Check us out in Glacier Bay on August 19. Gloves, wool hats, fleece jacket under REI outer shell and still cold. But there where still some numskuls on deck in shorts and tee shirts. Make sure that you have a rain poncho. You will need it in Juno and Ketchican

Archived