Only gained 1 pound in 14 days at sea!

Colorado Kat

We just got back from 14 days on the Carnival Freedom, and I was afraid to weigh myself. But I only gained 1 pound. :) Our cabin was on the lowest passenger deck, Rivera Deck 1. I ate everything I wanted, including dessert every evening, the occasional ice-cream, and a few Margaritas.

I took the stairs as much as possible. The climb from 1 to 9 was done 5-8 times a day. At first, I tried it all in one stretch. (By the way, 16 steps per deck). Decks 1 till 7 were ok, but 7 to 9 were tough. Then I discovered I could go from 1-5, cross over to the other end of the boat, and do 5-9 without a problem. My legs are now in fantastic shape! The only time I used an elevator was when I was carrying a tray of food & drinks. I also used either the jogging/walking track, or the spa treadmills most days. (I walked)

I made a point of crossing the boat as much as possible. I could start at the back, go up to 5, cross over the main passenger walkway, and climb up to Lido at 9. It was fine with me for going horizontally on any deck, as I could check out what was going on elsewhere, and just people-watch. I brought my step-counter with me, and the days I actually used it most of the day, I was clocking in 24,000 - 26,000 steps.

I really had been afraid of how much weight I might gain on the cruise, but was totally thrilled when I did get the courage to weigh myself.

Kathy

i think most people aren't cognizant of how much they actually eat in the course of a 'normal' day at home, versus what they eat on a cruise ship. it will likely be about the same amount of calories - they're just not as notable at home :)

that, and lots of food, especially in the mdr, is more healthy than things like mcdonalds which you could be more prone to at home...

not to mention the fact that many (not all) people are far more active on a cruise - between just traversing the ship (24-26K steps - holy cow!), and excursions - i'd venture to say most people are more active on the ship, than at home / in the office.

congrats :D

The elevators were always really slow on the miracle so i always used the stairs deck 1-9 but i left like 2-4 minutes earlier then my parents most of the time it was deck 1-9! I was proud of myself but then again i do have a 12 year old body and is used to it :)!

cbc

I'm noticeably more active while on a cruise.

I do more walking both on board and when ashore.

I climb many more stairs, and I've learned to discipline myself

when it comes to caloric temptations.

I pick and choose: gluttony was never my thing.

When I return home

my leg muscles are always more toned than when I started!

It's quite possible to not-gain weight, on a cruise. :)

My clothes have never grown tighter as the days go on... Why eat too much or drink too much??? It makes me miserable!!! Doesn't stop me from a taste of things, or leaving food on my plate... and I love my desserts and DoDs -- Drinks of the Day!!!!

But walking three football fields 10 - 15 times a day does wonders!!! I can't take the stair up that often and occasionally take them down, but still I lose or maintain on a cruise!!!

AND I love to walk at the ports...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Losing weight is WONDERFUL!!!!

I never gain weight on a cruise and I eat whatever I want! The reason? You're doing a lot more walking than you realize. My metabolism is quite high from working out for over 30 years but you really don't realize all the moving around you're doing while on a ship and on the various stops the ship makes. This is a good thing because you can endulge in foods you would never eat on a regular basis while on board and still keep your fighting weight intact! :D

Good for you. When I went on a 14 day cruise, I gained 10lbs:(

I lost in the next two weeks at home, but it was still horrible. My husband only gained 1 pound of course. Hopefully I won't gained any on my next cruise in 30 days.

Good for you. I hate to say it but I gained more than 5 lbs on our Princess cruise this past February. I felt miserable too when I got home. Not gonna happen again. I've been on an exercise program ever since and will be in far better shape next cruise.

Archived