Family of 5 very difficult

We are also a family of 5, and yes it takes a little bit more planning, but we were always able to get on the ship and enjoy it without many hassles. The biggest is finding rooms close by. Agree, connecting rooms do go very fast, but we can always get either across the hallway or next door. They make me book one adult with each room, but once on board, they are okay with us switching. It all depeneds on the ages.

And we spend so little time i n the cabin's that it is really to sleep and shower. And having 2 showers instead of having to fight for one, is worth the little extra.:o

This is misinformation.

RCI does NOT require you to book one adult in each room. You are allowed to book your children into their OWN cabin as long as it is across the hall or adjacent to your cabin. We do this all the time!! (Sometimes, the rooms can even be a few doors down.) This way, you don't have to concern yourself with sorting out the keys and Sea Passes after switching it up afterwards.

We were not required to do this on Princess either. Our children are booked into their own cabin, and their reservation is marked "accompanied minors".

This is misinformation.

RCI does NOT require you to book one adult in each room. You are allowed to book your children into their OWN cabin as long as it is across the hall or adjacent to your cabin.

This is true, however, as some discounts can no longer be 'combined', it is sometimes better to do it this way, so each cabin can get a certain discount. I did this on our last cruise to be able to use both the balcony discount in one room, and the shareholder discount in the other.

We're a family of 5 and we have 3 cabins booked for our Liberty cruise. :eek:

DH & I in a balcony, my boys in a PR across the hall, and my step-daughter in an adjoining PR cabin.

Because the kids are all teens, we couldn't put them in a cabin together. Yes, it is VERY EXPENSIVE, but they will all be heading off to college in th next few years and it will be one of our last family vacations together, so we're willing to pay the price.

Best suggestion...connecting inside cabins.

I had to smile when I read your posting! Brought back many memories! However, some things can be done without booking 3 cabins - I am happy for you that you were able to afford it.

When our kids were in college - boy and a girl - we took a cruise as they had always wanted to go with us. We had just begun our "cruising career" and this was the 3rd cruise for us. There was no way we could afford 2 cabins, so we went all together in an inside cabin with the pull down pullmans. The look on the kid's faces when they saw where they would spend the week was priceless!

It turned out to be a great vacation - with a little planning you can make it work!. The guys worked out in the gym and took a shower before heading back to the cabin. Fortunately our kids were "locker room rats" and so everyone being in their underwear didn't bother them - privacy was not a major problem.

It was tight for room. There were a few frazzled moments, but we all got along. We had a great time. It was the kind of trip that memories and laughs were made from - enough that they both took cruises for their honeymoons some 10 years or so later, and we are now diamond cruisers!

So, to anyone who thinks that they must have multiple cabins, I totally agree that it is great, but rather than no cruise at all - try a snug fit - it can be done! Also, we are not

"small" people - our son was playing football at the time and is around 6' 2" - he had no problem with the pullman.

This is misinformation.

RCI does NOT require you to book one adult in each room. You are allowed to book your children into their OWN cabin as long as it is across the hall or adjacent to your cabin. We do this all the time!! quote]

Thanks for the info!

I have to call RCI and rearrange our reservations, because when I booked our cruise for July, I was told that I had to have an "adult" (18 or over) in each room. (I did everything through RCI directly) But it will be simpler if I can have the kids in one and DH and I in the other, instead of swapping keys, etc.

My 21 year old daughter is really ticked off that we're taking our 19 and 14 year old sons with us for a short cruise this summer, but can't work out an affordable way to bring her along too. :( There's just no way for us to afford a second room or family suite. We're only paying $125 each for the boys as 3rd and 4th passengers.

I can see why she is ticked off. Why would you take your sons and not your daughter?

My 21 year old daughter is really ticked off that we're taking our 19 and 14 year old sons with us for a short cruise this summer, but can't work out an affordable way to bring her along too. :( There's just no way for us to afford a second room or family suite. We're only paying $125 each for the boys as 3rd and 4th passengers.

I don't know why everyone is getting on you about this post. Your daughter is 21. Maybe she can kick some $$ towards the cruise? Maybe she can take along a friend and they could share an inside cabin?

Maybe because the other child is also an adult at 19. I agree that all the kids could work jobs and chip in. I am sure the daughter is feeling that she is being left out of a family cruise.

what about two insides?--family vacations will long be remembered-a shame you can't find a way for all to go together

Why am I having such a hard time trying to plan our cruise for next summer ( 2010 ) ? It seems to me that every angle I try to take to save a little or conserve, their is an obstacle. Any suggestions out there? I cant be the only family with 5 am I ? Dissapointed in the Northeast........

I am assuming that they were just venting as it doesn't appear that they have been back to this thread since they started it.

For a family of 5, I would suggest 2 cabins. They can either be connecting with doors between them if you have young children or adjacent or across the hall. You do have to book early for connecting as they tend to be booked quickly. With 2 cabins, you have 2 bathrooms with 2 showers - much easier to get ready for the day or dinner. Also, Mom and Dad have more privacy - after all it is your vacation, too. You can book insides to get the lowest prices or an oceanview with an inside across the hall, 2 oceanviews, a balcony with an inside across the hall or 2 balconies. It all depends on what you are willing to pay. It's worth having the 2 cabins for the privacy as well as the 2 bathrooms. We have been sailing as a family of 5 since our youngest was 12 and have always gotten 2 cabins. Even before cruising, we always got a suite with 2 seperate bedrooms or 2 rooms on a land based vacation. It just makes it more of a vacation for the parents, too.

Hello

I have experienced two different cases when booking with kids. On the Monarch - we had to have one adult in each cabin with one child. Now we are booked on the Mariner and I was concerned because I am taking 3 kids and not traveling with DH this trip. But when I called they said it was ok as long as we had connecting cabins. They made no mention of "close by" or "across the hall" because if that was the case I would have booked one outside and one inside. Instead we have two connecting insides (and I had to buy a higher category of inside also to get the connecting).

Maybe it depends on the age of the kids traveling with you???

Hello

I have experienced two different cases when booking with kids. On the Monarch - we had to have one adult in each cabin with one child. Now we are booked on the Mariner and I was concerned because I am taking 3 kids and not traveling with DH this trip. But when I called they said it was ok as long as we had connecting cabins. They made no mention of "close by" or "across the hall" because if that was the case I would have booked one outside and one inside. Instead we have two connecting insides (and I had to buy a higher category of inside also to get the connecting).

I think sometimes it just depends on how informed the RCCL employee is. Sometimes one person will say one thing, and another says something completely different.

From my experience on our cruise we were told as long as the kids were either directly across the hall or right next door they could be booked into their own room.

My husband and I had a balcony room and my 12 and 14 year old sons shared a promenade room across the hall and my 19 and 18 year old daughters with the 2 year old grandson had another promenade room next to them. It worked out great for us.

I think sometimes it just depends on how informed the RCCL employee is. Sometimes one person will say one thing, and another says something completely different.

From my experience on our cruise we were told as long as the kids were either directly across the hall or right next door they could be booked into their own room.

My husband and I had a balcony room and my 12 and 14 year old sons shared a promenade room across the hall and my 19 and 18 year old daughters with the 2 year old grandson had another promenade room next to them. It worked out great for us.

This bothers me a little because it was a TA who gave me this info. I am traveling my my DDs who are 4, 14 and 17. I was going to put the teens in an inside and get an outside or balc for myself. Oh well. Next time I am booking direct anyways. We will all probably like being connected anyways. What is concerning is that this would appear to be a common issue for families so you would think that everyone would know (and be clear) the policy....

Hello

It has been reported lately that they are being more strict with this policy.

###

I don't know why everyone is getting on you about this post. Your daughter is 21. Maybe she can kick some $$ towards the cruise? Maybe she can take along a friend and they could share an inside cabin?

Thanks, I was starting to feel bad. She's out of the household and living on her own. My 23 year old daughter has no problems with it. Both girls went on special vactions with their mom for thier High School Graduation. This is our oldest son's graduation gift. I think they're mostly upset that younger son and dad are getting in on this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redheada viewpost.gif

Hello

It has been reported lately that they are being more strict with this policy.

###

I just booked a cruise on Oasis for Dec. 2010 a few days ago. I booked directly through Royal Caribbean. I booked a JS for me and the youngest and a Central Park View across the hall for my 15 y.o. and 12 y.o. The RCCL rep was fine with it.

This bothers me a little because it was a TA who gave me this info. I am traveling my my DDs who are 4, 14 and 17. I was going to put the teens in an inside and get an outside or balc for myself. Oh well. Next time I am booking direct anyways. We will all probably like being connected anyways. What is concerning is that this would appear to be a common issue for families so you would think that everyone would know (and be clear) the policy....

I think over the past few years the policy has changed. You used to be able to book kiids into their own cabin somewhere close to the parents, not necessarily right by the cabin. Recently I believe it was changed so that they need to be next to or across from eah other to book this way. I have a balcony for DH & I and an inside for my kids (19 & 14) across the hall booked for us in August. Did it direct with RCI, no problem at all. Even got a comment from the rep, they are across from each other so no problem!

Thanks, I was starting to feel bad. She's out of the household and living on her own. My 23 year old daughter has no problems with it. Both girls went on special vactions with their mom for thier High School Graduation. This is our oldest son's graduation gift. I think they're mostly upset that younger son and dad are getting in on this one.

That is reasonble.

Archived