Sexual Assaults on the High Sea

When something happens in a city,there are police to assist.Who assists on a ship?

In a city,a report is filed,on a ship they don't want no paperwork.

A city in the US is governed by US laws, a ship registered in a foreign country has few laws.

The city incident must be reported,a ship has no obligation to report even the most minute incident.

Steve

Why is the "city" in question assumed to be an American one?

A strict no fraternization policy is in place on Carnival, as well as most major cruise lines. The policy was willfully ignored by some senior officers in a situation where female guests were partaking in lots of alcohol. I felt it was worth mentioning in passing in this thread and back in my review posted in January. I felt it was inappropriate, but other than mentioning it a couple of times on CC I didn't get worked up about it.

If you don't think it's a big deal then there is no need for you to respond to my post -- I'll contribute to this board as I see fit. My $.02.

There is a huge difference between fraternizing with staff officers and crew. Staff officers generally have run of the ship and can be found in all bars, lounges, dancing in the clubs, eating on Lido, spending time with passengers. Crew are not permitted to do so.

FYI:

This is from a great piece written a few years ago by a former CD for one of the "majors":

Fraternizing and other Relationships clearpixel.gif

Are crew members allowed to fraternize with the passengers? On the mass-market and other large ships, the answer is a simple "no." Waiters should not be flirting with passengers and cannot meet with them on board -- they are not allowed in passenger areas, and passengers are not allowed in crew areas. If a waiter sees a guest on shore and they have a meal together there's no harm done, as long as it is consensual. But a waiter who makes overtures to a guest, either on or off board, can find himself in big trouble if the passenger does not feel comfortable about it.

Staff members, however, are generally given the "run of the ship" day and night, and are allowed to have a cocktail in the ship's public rooms. Many times they will develop friendships or relationships with passengers while on board, but staff members are not allowed in passenger cabins and guests cannot go to crew areas.

Just what we need...:rolleyes: Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts and Rep. Doris Matsui of California have introduced the 2009 Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act, which requires the cruise industry to publicly report crimes and improve safety on board. It mandates peepholes and security latches in cabins. This week, several victims of cruise crimes will meet with senators to ..... Just stay the heck out of the way...

We've done the connected cabins....DD slipped on the raised step between the cabins & bit her lip - so much for that plan. We did the his and her bunk plan once and messed up our rendevous and everyone got separated- so much for that plan. We just have an aversion to the notion of the kids having a balcony cabin - visions of DS leaning over the railing to see who's joining the veranda club (no basis in data to support this fear - just our quirk). So across the hall works for us.

Part of the reason I get so crazy on this subject is now we have -literally - an act of congress to address this concern. I mean these are the guys who routinely resgin over sex scandals and they want to enact laws that will (ultimately) cost us more money and change our vaction style? How about the Congression Page Sexual Abuse prevention act? :(

Maybe if Mary Jo had free run of a cruise ship at an early age she would have been able to recognize the likes of Ted Kennedy and known not to get into the car with him in later life. :mad:

OH... now I'm really steaming. The odds of a congressional page being the victim of sexual misconduct are obviously much, much higher than what we're worried about. For that matter - I'm sure a child walking the streets of our Nation's Capitol, in broad daylight, with her parents, is at a greater risk than my daughter walking to the ice cream machine with her brother in tow on the Conquest.

Well put. I think the worry warts just want another thing to worry about. I'll bet ships are much much safer than are own streets (at least some of LA's streets) or Congress, or small bridges in Massachusetts.:rolleyes:

Well put. I think the worry warts just want another thing to worry about. I'll bet ships are much much safer than are own streets (at least some of LA's streets) or Congress, or small bridges in Massachusetts.:rolleyes:

Dont worry O will appoint a cruise line Czar... how many emperors would that be? ..

Dont worry O will appoint a cruise line Czar... how many emperors would that be? ..

Frist he'll have to decide which lines get a subsidy and which ones get to dissapear. Carnival better start with the campaign contributions now.

Is there a Czar limit? about 30 of these shadow positions now!

How about a Czar Czar?

I think as of today we are up to 32... Czar of National Healthcare :rolleyes:-

And dont forget... he may institute another stimulus bill!!!!!

We are screwed

Frist he'll have to decide which lines get a subsidy and which ones get to dissapear. Carnival better start with the campaign contributions now.

Oh dang you are right on!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way.. your postings are on a roll today! woo hoo!;)

Is there a Czar limit? about 30 of these shadow positions now!

How about a Czar Czar?

Well if you have a Czar Czar, you have to have an Eva and a Magda. Of course the Czar Czar will want a uniform with a lot of diamonds on it, and there is always the fear of them slapping a cop .

Might be more trouble then they are worth.

Well if you have a Czar Czar, you have to have an Eva and a Magda. Of course the Czar Czar will want a uniform with a lot of diamonds on it, and there is always the fear of them slapping a cop .

Might be more trouble then they are worth.

Its Ava.. Gabor and what does czar czar have to do with her?

I think her czar was Merv Griffin:p

Archived