Sexual Assaults on the High Sea

Hmmmm...more issues? The topic is "Sexual Assault on the High Seas"...go back and check to see who turned the topic into "Sexual Assault by Grampa". If yer gonna bash for going off topic, bash the right person. I for one, don't think it's right for anyone to be Sexually Assaulted anytime, anywhere, but that's just my humble opinion.

BTW, I'm not a Freud fan. ;)

I took it more as an objection to mean personal remarks, more than strictly going off topic. And I agree. Speculating on whether the grandpa example is from some personal experience is nothing but mean.

And please don't get huffy G'ma, I know you can take care of yourself. ;)

Well...it's even on CNN, this morning :cool:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/06/22/cruise.sexual.assault/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

What I find somewhat odd.. is their opening sentence, that..

"It's the midst of peak cruising season,

and millions of travelers are eagerly embarking on exotic vacations

without thinking they could ever fall victim to a crime at sea."

and here I am thinking 'What?! -without thinking they could ever fall victim to..' :confused:

What strange illusion/delusion have we created for ourselves?

Is cruising Heaven? No, of course it isn't.

Cruising is replete with living humans of the species Homo sapiens

and therefore cruisers shall experience the full range of human behaviours

both positive and negative..regardless of onboard rules, laws and crew training.

We badly need to get over the delusion.

Its stressful to me to know that my 12 and 13 year old will be able to check themselves out of camp but they may not be safe doing so. You're right though, it is reality. My gameplan is: We will look over the daily capers together, circle or highlight what we plan to do, where we'll be. If they find the Circle C activity lame, etc, they will have to join Mom and Dad. No aimless roaming. We all will know where the others are at all times. If they do not comply, they will have to hang with us the whole trip.:eek:

Its stressful to me to know that my 12 and 13 year old will be able to check themselves out of camp but they may not be safe doing so.

You're right though, it is reality.

My gameplan is: We will look over the daily capers together, circle or highlight what we plan to do, where we'll be.

If they find the Circle C activity lame, etc, they will have to join Mom and Dad.

No aimless roaming. ===> Thank you for that! ;)

We all will know where the others are at all times. If they do not comply, they will have to hang with us the whole trip.:eek:

Most cruising environments on board are largely crime-free, it's true

but it's not 100% perfect!

Its stressful to me to know that my 12 and 13 year old will be able to check themselves out of camp but they may not be safe doing so. You're right though, it is reality. My gameplan is: We will look over the daily capers together, circle or highlight what we plan to do, where we'll be. If they find the Circle C activity lame, etc, they will have to join Mom and Dad. No aimless roaming. We all will know where the others are at all times. If they do not comply, they will have to hang with us the whole trip.:eek:

I agree, its the best thing to do. I wouldnt have let mine roam either when they were younger, its hard enough when they are older (26 and 28):rolleyes::)

Pattyfinger

"She's a fine healthy girl - no patty-fingers if ya please"!

quote from The Quiet Man starring John Wayne

I just have to say that is one of my all time favorite movies thanks for giving it a shout out.

On another note, things can go wrong anywhere, anytime, with anyone, it doesn't matter if you are in the countryside, a back alley, a cruise ship, or your own home, be mindful of where you are and who you are with. That being said you can not let rare instances (assault at the high seas is certainly not common considering the number of cruises in a year) scare you out of living your life.

There is an article on CNN today involving this subject matter. http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/06/22/cruise.sexual.assault/index.html

Just what we need...:rolleyes: Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts and Rep. Doris Matsui of California have introduced the 2009 Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act, which requires the cruise industry to publicly report crimes and improve safety on board. It mandates peepholes and security latches in cabins. This week, several victims of cruise crimes will meet with senators to ..... Just stay the heck out of the way...

Thanks for being a voice of reason...so many here are not. I still can not believe how many cruisers insist on putting their young kids across the hall instead of just getting 2 connecting OV's. Oh that's right they want a balcony and an inside so they do not have to pay for to balconys.

We've done the connected cabins....DD slipped on the raised step between the cabins & bit her lip - so much for that plan. We did the his and her bunk plan once and messed up our rendevous and everyone got separated- so much for that plan. We just have an aversion to the notion of the kids having a balcony cabin - visions of DS leaning over the railing to see who's joining the veranda club (no basis in data to support this fear - just our quirk). So across the hall works for us.

I won't put my kids in their own cabin next door or across the hall either. My husband and I split up with them. To each his own, I'm not taking the chance.

Part of the reason I get so crazy on this subject is now we have -literally - an act of congress to address this concern. I mean these are the guys who routinely resgin over sex scandals and they want to enact laws that will (ultimately) cost us more money and change our vaction style? How about the Congression Page Sexual Abuse prevention act? :(

Maybe if Mary Jo had free run of a cruise ship at an early age she would have been able to recognize the likes of Ted Kennedy and known not to get into the car with him in later life. :mad:

OH... now I'm really steaming. The odds of a congressional page being the victim of sexual misconduct are obviously much, much higher than what we're worried about. For that matter - I'm sure a child walking the streets of our Nation's Capitol, in broad daylight, with her parents, is at a greater risk than my daughter walking to the ice cream machine with her brother in tow on the Conquest.

wow, you guys can get mean. why don't you stick to the topic of the thread and not turn this into some kind of psycho-analyzing thing, and prey on someone's possible hurt?

as far as the topic of the thread, I appreciate the info above. travelling soon with teenagers, and have been trying to impress upon them the need to "be smart", while still having fun. will share this info with them, thanks!

p.s. I myself found myself in a very stupid position, on one of my first cruises a long, long time ago. Very naieve, too much alcohol, I flirted with one of the crew who kept following me around the ship. One night he told me he wanted to show me something on the top deck, and took me to a place in a secluded area, where the door locked behind us. Thank goodness I sobered up very quickly, and got the heck outta there. Had to spend the rest of the cruise avoiding him. Not a fun time at all.

Mean???????? you need to reread my post.. I have pity for her:rolleyes:

Just what we need...:rolleyes: Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts and Rep. Doris Matsui of California have introduced the 2009 Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act, which requires the cruise industry to publicly report crimes and improve safety on board. It mandates peepholes and security latches in cabins. This week, several victims of cruise crimes will meet with senators to ..... Just stay the heck out of the way...

Maybe if Mary Jo had free run of a cruise ship at an early age she would have been able to recognize the likes of Ted Kennedy and known not to get into the car with him in later life. :mad:

OH... now I'm really steaming. The odds of a congressional page being the victim of sexual misconduct are obviously much, much higher than what we're worried about. For that matter - I'm sure a child walking the streets of our Nation's Capitol, in broad daylight, with her parents, is at a greater risk than my daughter walking to the ice cream machine with her brother in tow on the Conquest.

1) I agree that we don't need Congress to Legislate more for our own good (safety), but this also seems to be a reaction to how the cruiselines have responded to these situations. Just sayin'

2) Mary Jo was a Victim...of Homicide, Manslaughter, Wrongful Death or Tragic Accident. (Choose the one that fits), but I don't think there is any evidence that she was the Victim of a Sexual Crime. Only speculation last I checked. Maybe Ted will give a Deathbed Confession.

3) There have reportedly been many "Pages" and "Staffers" that have been involved with our Lawmakers in a Sexual way and I agree that is not appropriate given the position of authority the Congressmen or Senators hold, but I'm not sure it qualifies as "Sexual Assault".

this is the statement you made that didn't sound like pity

Originally Posted by trock viewpost.gif

Hmm my thoughts too.. not the first time she's said that about 'grandpa'

true, you didn't make the comments about issues, as did the other poster, but the answer above is was in response to the not so nice comments from the previous poster, and here you are agreeing, or so it comes across in the above statement. i just feel sorry for the lady whose feelings are in question, it did not require any comments about "personal experience" from anyone.I agree with the person who said her comment seemed just offhanded and not meaning anything specific.

true, you didn't make the comments about issues, as did the other poster, but the answer above is was in response to the not so nice comments from the previous poster, and here you are agreeing, or so it comes across in the above statement. i just feel sorry for the lady whose feelings are in question, it did not require any comments about "personal experience" from anyone.I agree with the person who said her comment seemed just offhanded and not meaning anything specific.

I feel badly for her if this is her experience, but you must realize she said it, brought it up , not the first time and like any other topic, if one brings it up... its open to discussion ..

Trust me.. the particular poster has little regard for the feelings of others in most posts... ;)

I see you are new to cc......welcome.:)

Feeling pity for an individual might not be mean. Posting it on a public board is.

Would it be mean or nice if I said I pitied you for you remark on the camp carnival thread about how you did not think it was so odd the 10 year old exposed himself?

"I remember being a little kid. 8 -10 yrs old.. and we bullied each other and smacked each other and were best friends 5 minutes later.. some boys would flash you.. but none of this made them deviants or criminals.. "

Maybe now you can see that posting you pity someone is not only mean, it is a cheap shot.

some boys would flash you.. but none of this made them deviants or criminals.. "

What would your definition of Flashing be? Better yet what would your definition of Deviant be? Most parts of the civilized world would include Flashing as Deviant.

What would your definition of Flashing be? Better yet what would your definition of Deviant be? Most parts of the civilized world would include Flashing as Deviant.

tedjazz - that wasn't my quote. That was me quoting what trock had said. But good question.

Inasmuch as you're all limited as to where you can go on a cruise ship, there is a degree of safety. If somebody commits a crime, it's not as if he can get away without an opportunity to be identified and called to task for his/her actions. That can be a pretty strong deterrent to get people to behave. On the other hand, it could reasonably also push that person to commit a worse crime. "If I rape her, she can identify me. If I rape her, then throw her over the railing, she CAN'T identify me..."

Please be careful... :(

Feeling pity for an individual might not be mean. Posting it on a public board is.

Would it be mean or nice if I said I pitied you for you remark on the camp carnival thread about how you did not think it was so odd the 10 year old exposed himself?

"I remember being a little kid. 8 -10 yrs old.. and we bullied each other and smacked each other and were best friends 5 minutes later.. some boys would flash you.. but none of this made them deviants or criminals.. "

Maybe now you can see that posting you pity someone is not only mean, it is a cheap shot.

I dont think it was a cheap shot.. I wrote it and I stand behind it and since I wrote it on a public message board it's open to discussion. I dont know what your point is- If you thought you were going to 'get me' on this.. you failed..

Perhaps you need to read the rules of CC's message boards.. ;)

Getting back to the post in this thread, me feeling actually pity for her is /was in no way a cheap shot.. It was genuine.. Am I not to respond to posts now because YOU think it's a cheap shot?

You trying to insinuate some sort of hypocrisy on my part is cheap.. insincere and completely ridiculous.. Pulling comments from an irrelevant thread is desparate...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

No Ted.. that was part of my post from another thread.. :rolleyes:

and there is a world of difference between flashing for shock value and exposing one's self..

I dont think it was a cheap shot.. I wrote it and I stand behind it and since I wrote it on a public message board it's open to discussion. I dont know what your point is- If you thought you were going to 'get me' on this.. you failed..

Perhaps you need to read the rules of CC's message boards.. ;)

Getting back to the post in this thread, me feeling actually pity for her is /was in no way a cheap shot.. It was genuine.. Am I not to respond to posts now because YOU think it's a cheap shot?

You trying to insinuate some sort of hypocrisy on my part is cheap.. insincere and completely ridiculous.. Pulling comments from an irrelevant thread is desparate...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You may respond to whomever you wish, in whatever manner you wish.

My point in posting your comment was absolutely about the hypocrisy, and it was not insincere.

Desperate? The only desperate aspect was wondering how to illustrate why such comments are cruel, to someone who must be completely devoid of empathy.

Archived