Sexual Assaults on the High Sea

There have been several threads recently on varying forms of sexual assault, how safe we are at sea and how the cruise lines react to these assaults. There is an article on CNN today involving this subject matter. http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/06/22/cruise.sexual.assault/index.html

I will state again Trust NO ONE, be aware of your surroundings, do not put yourself in situations that might lead to something bad happening to you, keep an eye on your children and their whereabouts. A lot of common sense but something that I think still needs to be stressed. And no I am not blaming the victim(s). I am saying err on the side of caution.

There have been several threads recently on varying forms of sexual assault, how safe we are at sea and how the cruise lines react to these assaults. There is an article on CNN today involving this subject matter. http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/06/22/cruise.sexual.assault/index.html

I will state again Trust NO ONE, be aware of your surroundings, do not put yourself in situations that might lead to something bad happening to you, keep an eye on your children and their whereabouts. A lot of common sense but something that I think still needs to be stressed. And no I am not blaming the victim(s). I am saying err on the side of caution.

Good advice. Don't turn your children loose....know where they are, who they are with and don't leave them to their own devices.

This applies everywhere, not just on cruise ships.

Your kids are more likely to be abused at grandpa's than on a cruise ship.

As for adults..particularly women...use your head. Don't drink yourself into oblivion...don't invite strangers in to your cabin. Don't play "patty-fingers" with the crew, be aware of your surroundings.

What might be "friendly flirting" in the U.S. can have a totally different perception with someone on a ship........

sorry - what are "patty fingers"? I know what patty cakes is but is it a different version?

ROFL! I have the definition....

My name is Patty and I date one of the piano entertainers....Could be considered "patty fingers" with the crew??. ;)

Having just returned from a loose and lewd environment aboard the Elation I can honestly recommend that all women pay careful attention to their tablemates and other 'guests' aboardship. Complaints to the assistant maitre'd went unanswered and unfulfilled. Many male 'guests' were inappropriate and severely inebriated. Ladies - be smart.

Having just returned from a loose and lewd environment aboard the Elation I can honestly recommend that all women pay careful attention to their tablemates and other 'guests' aboardship. Complaints to the assistant maitre'd went unanswered and unfulfilled. Many male 'guests' were inappropriate and severely inebriated. Ladies - be smart.

What happend?? Was this a cruise to nowhere? Can you please tell?

Thanks

Thanks for being a voice of reason...so many here are not. I still can not believe how many cruisers insist on putting their young kids across the hall instead of just getting 2 connecting OV's. Oh that's right they want a balcony and an inside so they do not have to pay for to balconys.

Of course I am wrong, overprotective and neurotic for wanting my kids to share connecting cabins Vs. arcoss or down the hall cabins.

Go figure. You know this thread will now take on a life of its own, right?

I have read countless posts on here where people claim that a cruise ship is 'different' and less dangerous.

I am not an alarmist and I don't cruise full of fear by any means but it is SO frickin naive to think a cruise ship is any safer than being on land and I have no idea why people would think that.

Where there are people, there is likely to be crime. That's just the way it is. So yes, always, at all times be aware of your surroundings and for the people with kids, FTLOG, watch over them.

Very important!

Even if you're not drinking.. it's never a good idea to climb on the rails.

LOL...good advice but how sad that it needs to even be stated.

Of course I am wrong, overprotective and neurotic for wanting my kids to share connecting cabins Vs. arcoss or down the hall cabins.

I won't put my kids in their own cabin next door or across the hall either. My husband and I split up with them. To each his own, I'm not taking the chance.

I think one of the biggest misconceptions is that as long as the kids are in a "group" ... they are safe.

The last time a report was done about a child molester whose computer was confiscated, it had pictures of him on a cruise ship (the article did not say with one) with a "group" of kids around him. They were all drinking something (of course just by a picture you can not tell what it is).

I constantly remind parents that these cruise ships are the size of small towns and even though the staff and crew are thorough vetted....no one knows WHO is in the cabin next to theirs~!!!~

As for adults..particularly women...use your head. Don't drink yourself into oblivion...don't invite strangers in to your cabin. Don't play "patty-fingers" with the crew' date=' be aware of your surroundings. [/quote']

sorry - what are "patty fingers"? I know what patty cakes is but is it a different version?

:confused:Yes, do tell, G'ma!

Your kids are more likely to be abused at grandpa's than on a cruise ship.

A little bit bitter are we? You could have said the "Home of a Relative" and been far more accurate...but that wasn't the agenda was it?

Cruise ships are the worse. There is more assaults than any other type of vacation for families.

Here's the number for Royal. http://www.cruisejunkie.com/SA-RCI.html

Steve

Your advice applies to men, women, and children, whether on ship or ashore, at home or away from home!

Guest TropicOne
Cruise ships are the worse. There is more assaults than any other type of vacation for families.

Here's the number for Royal. http://www.cruisejunkie.com/SA-RCI.html

Steve

A cruise is still one of the safest forms of a vacation.I would not put much faith in anything on that website.It is run by one person.

A little bit bitter are we? You could have said the "Home of a Relative" and been far more accurate...but that wasn't the agenda was it?

Hmm my thoughts too.. not the first time she's said that about 'grandpa'... Perhaps she sees the world from her own experience..

Better to have pity then contemp ;)

It's not rocket science, just be smart. I didn't like the way some of the officers were openly fraternizing with passengers on Splendor's New Years cruise which I noted in my review on CC when I got back... but in reality it happens and we're naive to think it never does. Regardless though, I think that we can all agree that if people act responsibly the odds of something bad happening to them goes down significantly.

I won't put my kids in their own cabin next door or across the hall either. My husband and I split up with them. To each his own, I'm not taking the chance.

Don't split up just get connecting, (not adjoining )cabins there is so much room and very convenient. Now to answer the question "the ship I want to take does not have connecting cabins", well, we have faced that question and our solution was to find a ship or a line with lots of connecting cabins.

Good for you for not putting your kids alone!!! But do consider connecting cabins..it's nice to all be together, all cozy on the high seas!:)

Hmm my thoughts too.. not the first time she's said that about 'grandpa'... Perhaps she sees the world from her own experience..

Better to have pity then contemp ;)

wow, you guys can get mean. why don't you stick to the topic of the thread and not turn this into some kind of psycho-analyzing thing, and prey on someone's possible hurt?

as far as the topic of the thread, I appreciate the info above. travelling soon with teenagers, and have been trying to impress upon them the need to "be smart", while still having fun. will share this info with them, thanks!

p.s. I myself found myself in a very stupid position, on one of my first cruises a long, long time ago. Very naieve, too much alcohol, I flirted with one of the crew who kept following me around the ship. One night he told me he wanted to show me something on the top deck, and took me to a place in a secluded area, where the door locked behind us. Thank goodness I sobered up very quickly, and got the heck outta there. Had to spend the rest of the cruise avoiding him. Not a fun time at all.

wow, you guys can get mean. why don't you stick to the topic of the thread and not turn this into some kind of psycho-analyzing thing, and prey on someone's possible hurt?

as far as the topic of the thread, I appreciate the info above. travelling soon with teenagers, and have been trying to impress upon them the need to "be smart", while still having fun. will share this info with them, thanks!

p.s. I myself found myself in a very stupid position, on one of my first cruises a long, long time ago. Very naieve, too much alcohol, I flirted with one of the crew who kept following me around the ship. One night he told me he wanted to show me something on the top deck, and took me to a place in a secluded area, where the door locked behind us. Thank goodness I sobered up very quickly, and got the heck outta there. Had to spend the rest of the cruise avoiding him. Not a fun time at all.

Hmmmm...more issues? The topic is "Sexual Assault on the High Seas"...go back and check to see who turned the topic into "Sexual Assault by Grampa". If yer gonna bash for going off topic, bash the right person. I for one, don't think it's right for anyone to be Sexually Assaulted anytime, anywhere, but that's just my humble opinion.

BTW, I'm not a Freud fan. ;)

Archived