Has anyone been on the MS Neptune on the Nile?

shadowdiver

Just got a call from our TA..... she has our 28 pages of docs :D Will get them from her tomorrow morning.......

Steph: we are also on bus #1 ! She said there was no cabin assignment yet so she called her rep she deals with at Gate 1. Told him that this was a big deal to her client - that we paid for upgrade and don't want any surprises once we board.......so he is going to work on getting our cabin assignment. Have heard conflicting reports that some get them with docs and some don't. Glad I have her to work on this for me as I want to know ahead of time.

WOW- 3 weeks from tomorrow we leave for NY ! I have been working more on clothes and stuff for packing. Feel pretty good about what I have. A little bit of everything :eek: Long shorts, capris, pants and 1 casual dress for onboard dinner. Some tanks (I can always put a light shirt over) some short sleeve, some med and 1 or 2 long for chilly nights. Shoes are done - two pairs of skechers (white & black)for climbing around on temples and camels ;) one pair of black Naturalizers for city and travel and some sandals for ship and Red Sea wear. I even have two long scarves I plan to wear as belts over long shirts - then use for mosques if necessary to cover my head. In Istanbul they gave me a large dinner napkin looking thing at the door.....worked but not a pretty site :rolleyes: I am leaving good jewelry at home.....bringing some nice costume for dinners etc.

Seems it SHOULD be quite a bit cooler by the end of the month - according to weather reports for next 10 days and monthly averages beyond that. Will see. Sounds like CB is melting. BTW: where are you CB ? Any pics of Hurghada ????

OK.... more later TEX

Hi!

I woke up this morning and the first thought was three more weeks! My husband and I look at CB's blog daily. I'm laying out stuff too. Just mismatched things I think about randomly. I usually take an arsenal of meds for just in case things. I think I may call Gate 1 today and see what he says about cabin assignment. I agree with you about not liking surprises. That's great you guys are on bus one too! I wonder how many buses we'll have.

Steph

Hi! I woke up this morning and the first thought was three more weeks! My husband and I look at CB's blog daily. I'm laying out stuff too. Just mismatched things I think about randomly. I usually take an arsenal of meds for just in case things. I think I may call Gate 1 today and see what he says about cabin assignment. I agree with you about not liking surprises. That's great you guys are on bus one too! I wonder how many buses we'll have. Steph

Good morning :) it is wonderful here today. Sunny, clear and cool. Well, cool for here ! But I'll take it !

I think they use 2 buses. I know our date is sold out and I think they usually have around 45 people (+ or -) if it is a full tour. Don't know how many are coming with us on our flight on Egyptair. Know that some use their own air and some come from Europe from what I have read.

I too take a med kit and will this time too, altho have also read that Antinal is the way to go as our over the counter items are no match for Egypts' bugs :eek: It is cheap and easy to get. I will check with my dr. about taking with some meds I already take (thryoid, diuretic and cholesterol) just to be sure.

Well, have lots on my "to do" list so better get going. Later C

The Neptune had engine problems so all the Gate 1 tour he is on had to change ships. I believe he changed to the MS Mansa.

Enjoyed the new pics CB !!! Thank you. Looking forward to the rest of them.

Well, news here. Seems we are going to make a quick trip to Cabo San Lucas Mexico the weekend before we leave for Egypt :eek: Leave on Fri morning and get back Mon night. We leave Wed morning for NY..... the opportunity came up (Mike has to go for work) so I will pack before we leave and then have one whole day to finalize stuff. If you knew me you would know that I will never turn down a trip :D

Hope there is no big problems with weather or plane issue etc..... but we will get there no matter what !!!

Busy day today. Havent had time to post.

Steph - got a call from my TA - we are in cabin 305. Deck 3 and nice midship location so I am happy. We upgraded to cat A but I wanted one on deck 3. I guess they really wait until right before to assign them. Hope we don't have any engine problems and have to change ships like CB did.

I am now in serious what goes on what trip now. Cabo trip will be a short one bagger...... ;) So tomorrow morning suitcases come out and go on guest bed and the fun begins !! YEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWW.

Going to check cb's blog. More tomorrow. TEX

Busy day today. Havent had time to post.

Steph - got a call from my TA - we are in cabin 305. Deck 3 and nice midship location so I am happy. We upgraded to cat A but I wanted one on deck 3. I guess they really wait until right before to assign them. Hope we don't have any engine problems and have to change ships like CB did.

I am now in serious what goes on what trip now. Cabo trip will be a short one bagger...... ;) So tomorrow morning suitcases come out and go on guest bed and the fun begins !! YEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWW.

Going to check cb's blog. More tomorrow. TEX

Is your cabin number on your docs or did your TA need to call Gate 1? I guess I should call. You're so lucky that you're going to Cabo! I love being on the go and hate it when it gets cold here. Luckily, it's still nice here. At least for another week or so. We are getting so excited!

Texancruiser - I guess I should have checked the Gate 1 site again before posting! We're in cabin 303.

Yes, we did have engine problems and had to switch ships, to the MS Queen of Hansa, a much bigger ship where we were treated like red headed step children. I really missed the Neptune. The Hansa was a bigger boat but it lacked the friendliness of the Neptune and it's great staff. And the waiters sucked on the Hansa. Level 3 cabins on the Neptune are definately the best, right down the hall from the restaurant and just one level bellow the bar and the deck. The AC in the rooms work great so no worries there!

When you finally get there Fort Arabesque is worth it. In fact I could have skipped a few days cruising for more time there. So much to see and do and the FOOD is SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!! (the Ship food just get monotonous) And so beautiful! New blog post up today about it. DO NOT MISS THE GLASS BOTTOMED BOAT SNORKELING TRIP AT SUNSET!

They take you to three different places, one a sand bar in the middle of the sea where you can go snorkelling, or just stand there. Amazing. We even saw dolphins on the way back but I was not quick enough with the camera to catch them. The Hotel is Clean and Wonderful, Unllike the Ibertol on that last night. Not exactly dirty but just not as nice as all the other hotels we stayed at.

Anyway more on my last day in Cairo later.

Picture of Ft Arabesque nowEgypt+10+004.jpg

CB,

I really can't thank you enough for your wonderful posts and incredible blog. So addicted to it! We leave in 2 1/2 weeks and your posts have really made me look even more forward to it. How easy was it for you to find internet? Do you think we should get a USB drive when we get there or rely on wi-fi?

Thanks so much!

Steph

We really enjoyed your posts pictures and your blog CB, they were great. We don't leave until Dec 9th but like buie, because of you, we are really looking forward to it. Even with all the informantion you have posted, there are still some questions. What do you feel is the best place and the best way (credit card, atm/debit card or cash) to exchange money? Where did you get the small bills or coins for tips etc? And finally the dirty question, how did you handle laundry? Did you do a few things every night or just wait unit you were on the cruise and let them do it? If you had the laundry on the cruise handle it what did they charge? One more, were you mobbed by youngsters looking for pens? Thanks CB, again you posts were great.

Ron

Whew - late morning this morning. Think I got food poisoning last night as we ate out. DH too = but not as bad as me. I have NEVER had anything like that before !!!! Better this morning, but I feel like I ran a marathon twice last night :eek:

Steph, you are right next door ! And on the same bus ! So at the sites perhaps we can take some pics of you and Randy with your camera .. and you can reciprocate. That way all the pics won't just have one or the other person in them :D

CB- the pic is gorgeous. Love that the flowers are all in bloom ! Sorry you guys had to be the ones with problems on the ship. I too get attached to where I am staying and don't like to change mid-trip. I had to chuckle at the red-headed step kid remark !

I am packing with the plan of using the ship laundry - will just budget in $100. or so for cost. Lots of shirts/blouses but pants will be worn more than once or twice so will use the laundry for those mostly. We almost always do this on a cruise.....

Off to check CBs blog - Have a great day.

PS: Mike and son just left to go into the Gulf fishing/snorkeling as it is like a sheet of glass today. G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S ! Sunny and mid 80's. YES!

We really enjoyed your posts pictures and your blog CB, they were great. We don't leave until Dec 9th but like buie, because of you, we are really looking forward to it. Even with all the informantion you have posted, there are still some questions. What do you feel is the best place and the best way (credit card, atm/debit card or cash) to exchange money? Where did you get the small bills or coins for tips etc? And finally the dirty question, how did you handle laundry? Did you do a few things every night or just wait unit you were on the cruise and let them do it? If you had the laundry on the cruise handle it what did they charge? One more, were you mobbed by youngsters looking for pens? Thanks CB, again you posts were great.

Ron

Good Day Everyone!

Just posted a new Blog over at http://dutchharbordirt.blogspot.com/

Now, On to questions:

1. $$$? I got a pack of 100 $1 and they were invaluable. It is a pain in the ass to carry around 1 pound coins, and they are harder to get. Also i found myself treated better by restroom attendants, housemen, waiters, bartenders etc than those who used the coins. In addition small denomination egyptian money is FILTHY!! The 5 and 10 pound notes look like they were used as toilet paper. The 20's, 50's 100's and 200's are nice and crisp when you get them from the money exchange or the ATM, but the rest......ugggh! I can only imagine how bad the pound coins are, especially as the Europenans use them all the time for the bathrooms.

I took a good amount of cash with me and exchanged it as needed. The Hotels all have a money exchange (the guys at the Meridian are especially nice) and there are ATM's at most major stops and airports. Your tour guide will tell you where you can safely use your Credit Cards at certain Tour sites (The Papyrus, Essential Oils, Alabaster shops). I would NOT use them anywhere else besides the hotels. Cash is better there. Again, I just want to stress that the better you are to your servers/housekeepers/porters the better you get treated. Once the guys on the Neptune figured out I tipped a $1 for every drink I never had to wait.

2. Laundry. I had some done at the Meridian, on the ship and in Ft Arabesque. Cheap and good. I maybe spent $75 total on laundry and NEVER ONCE had to wear a dirty or sweated in shirt. Just wonderful. Actually better service than I got just today at my hotel in Seattle, and for maybe 1/8 the price.

3. Kids. Kids are everywhere and they try to sell you stuff mostly. Most of the time a dollar or two will make them smile so bright it will break your heart. My friend Sacha brought pens and rubber balls and they went off very good. Merchants as you are negotiating will often ask for pens for their children. I dont think it is essential but if you want to and have the room why not/

Any other questions? just ask everyone!

Picture from our last day in Egypt. (We got the late flight out so had a whole free day in Cairo)

Last+Pictures+Egypt+072.jpg

Good Day Everyone!

Just posted a new Blog over at http://dutchharbordirt.blogspot.com/

Now, On to questions:

1. $$$? I got a pack of 100 $1 and they were invaluable. It is a pain in the ass to carry around 1 pound coins, and they are harder to get. Also i found myself treated better by restroom attendants, housemen, waiters, bartenders etc than those who used the coins. In addition small denomination egyptian money is FILTHY!! The 5 and 10 pound notes look like they were used as toilet paper. The 20's, 50's 100's and 200's are nice and crisp when you get them from the money exchange or the ATM, but the rest......ugggh! I can only imagine how bad the pound coins are, especially as the Europenans use them all the time for the bathrooms.

I took a good amount of cash with me and exchanged it as needed. The Hotels all have a money exchange (the guys at the Meridian are especially nice) and there are ATM's at most major stops and airports. Your tour guide will tell you where you can safely use your Credit Cards at certain Tour sites (The Papyrus, Essential Oils, Alabaster shops). I would NOT use them anywhere else besides the hotels. Cash is better there. Again, I just want to stress that the better you are to your servers/housekeepers/porters the better you get treated. Once the guys on the Neptune figured out I tipped a $1 for every drink I never had to wait.

2. Laundry. I had some done at the Meridian, on the ship and in Ft Arabesque. Cheap and good. I maybe spent $75 total on laundry and NEVER ONCE had to wear a dirty or sweated in shirt. Just wonderful. Actually better service than I got just today at my hotel in Seattle, and for maybe 1/8 the price.

3. Kids. Kids are everywhere and they try to sell you stuff mostly. Most of the time a dollar or two will make them smile so bright it will break your heart. My friend Sacha brought pens and rubber balls and they went off very good. Merchants as you are negotiating will often ask for pens for their children. I dont think it is essential but if you want to and have the room why not/

Any other questions? just ask everyone!

Picture from our last day in Egypt. (We got the late flight out so had a whole free day in Cairo)

Last+Pictures+Egypt+072.jpg

CB,

How was internet access on your trip? My husband was wondering if he should get a USB modem when he gets there or rely on wifi? He's not going to get on a lot but just needs to check things some of the time. What would you recommend? Thanks so much for all your posts and blog!

Steph

I too am curious about internet connections.

As posted, I bought the new HP mini just for travel so we could 1) check into the office daily and 2) download all our pics each night

DH would really like to check in (on work days anyway) as things tend to come to a standstill when he is away (or at least slow to a crawl).

I would imagine Le Meridien has wifi but also maybe connections in the rooms ?

Neptune heard you can get wifi in the lobby. Thats ok. He would only be on a short time each day.

Arabesque ? Iberotel ?

I want to thank you again for all your tips, advice and insight also.

Getting close now !!!! 2 weeks from Wed. YEEEEHAWWWW

I too am curious about internet connections.

As posted, I bought the new HP mini just for travel so we could 1) check into the office daily and 2) download all our pics each night

DH would really like to check in (on work days anyway) as things tend to come to a standstill when he is away (or at least slow to a crawl).

I would imagine Le Meridien has wifi but also maybe connections in the rooms ?

Neptune heard you can get wifi in the lobby. Thats ok. He would only be on a short time each day.

Arabesque ? Iberotel ?

I want to thank you again for all your tips, advice and insight also.

Getting close now !!!! 2 weeks from Wed. YEEEEHAWWWW

Two weeks from Wednesday (but you get to go to Cabo in between). I'm jealous!

Two weeks from Wednesday (but you get to go to Cabo in between). I'm jealous!

Oh no....forgot to post that it was cancelled ! That is sometimes how dh's business trips go - they come and they go....... something about a conflicting schedule with other attorneys..... will have to visit Cabo some other time - perhaps when we have more time ! I actually was a little relieved. It was so jammed up against our Egypt trip that I was stressing a bit :o

Still going to Abaco Bahamas for Thanksgiving tho. THANK goodness !

Just thought I'd post a few impressions before I sign off this post. My DH and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip. The heat got to us but you work through it. My hair was dripping many days!! Can't stress enough the need for comfortable walking shoes. Don't know how the younger set made it through with flip flops. La Meridien had internet for a charge everywhere. Neptune had free wi fi in lobby. Worked well most of time. Fort Arabesque also had it in lobby. I didn't think the Iberhotel was too bad. Lobby was beautiful. Breakfast was as good as the all-inclusive and La Meridien and much better than the Neptune. Very comfy bed in room, nice bathroom, wallpaper a little worn. Our feelings on the Hansa and crew was that it is a "short cruise" ship where the staff doesn't have very long to bond with passengers. Since we were there even shorter than normal time, even less bonding. Our tour guide recommended we tip the Neptune crew for 6 days and Hansa for one day so they really had little reason to serve well. Safety was never an issue. There was an armed guard on the bus excursions. We walked at night and never felt threatened. We did a lot on our own, hiring taxis and drivers. One of the highlights was on the last night in Cairo at the end of the tour, we hired a taxi to take us to the Pyramids for sunset pictures. It was closing time and he wanted us to take a camel or horse ride into the desert for sunset pictures, which we declined to do. Plan B was to take us up on the roof of a building. We walked through a perfumery on the first floor, a papyrus store on the second floor and up 4 or 5 more flights of stairs. Floor 3-5 had stable accomodations for some of the animals and we dodged droppings all the way up. The view made it very worthwile. We were up there at least a half hour, enjoying different views of the city. We looked down on many houses, watched ducks and goats climb stairs to get to their pens on the roofs. When the sun set, it sank between two of the pyramids and was magnificent. The only downer was that the taxi driver wanted us to buy some papyrus (Tree of Life with our names on it (whole family) which we declined. At the end, he became greedy with his tip (paid him almost 50% of the fare for the four of us). He wanted more and followed my husband around until DH made it very clear that he was not getting more. He was a cabby secured by the hotel and worked for the hotel we think. I would suggest going out to the road and getting your own. Except for the engine problem that was no one's fault, there was not a glitch anywhere. We really enjoyed our time on the Neptune, watching the countryside go by. From the time we took off, until we landed back in Milwaukee, everything went like clockwork. Gate 1 did an excellent job. Our guide was very good. At the end, he got testy a couple of times. I think he was as tired as we were. Be prepared for early wake-up calls most days. Fort Arabesque was a great place to wind down and rest up. Can't think of anything I wished I had brought. DH took 2000+ pics so we have lots of memories. Enjoy the anticipation, it will be here and gone before you know it. Travel safely everyone. drpatch (aka Nancy) out.:)

Thank you thank you thank you Nancy for that wonderful recap. Sounds like a vacation of a lifetime and with 2000 pictures - one you won't soon forget :D

Again, I am hoping it will be a tad cooler for our treks through the desert :o But if not, I too, will work thru it.

Doesnt sound like you had any stomach issues either. Yay !

Actually, I did. :eek: It came on fast and furious but the wonder drug took care of it quickly. I can't stress enough the importance of having it on hand to take as soon as you have any symptoms (rumbling of intestines, cramps, etc). Most of our group had some episodes. Mine was on Sunday in Cairo (3rd day). I had been very careful- bottled water, no ice, brushing teeth with bottled water, no salads or unpeeled fruits or vegs, etc. Did I get water in my mouth showering or accidentally rinse my tb under the faucet? Who knows. The atinal works wonders. For a dollar or two, buy it and carry it with you. I had one "episode", took 4 pills, one day of treatment and that was that. Wish our meds at home worked as well or as quickly.

Two weeks from Wednesday? I am so excited for y'all!

Nancy and CB, I have enjoyed your posts, blogs, and recaps immensely. Do either of you have any idea what kind of prices we can expect for the perfumes/oils? CB, did you have any of the $100 in ones left over when your trip ended? What about the laundry charges on the ship? Do you remember any prices?

I purchased hats for DH and me while in Key West. I think I'll save them and wrap them for Christmas to throw a little Egypt anticipation into the holiday!

Cindy

Archived