Has anyone been on the MS Neptune on the Nile?

shadowdiver

CB, you have truly been a source of some wonderful and timely tips. It is so good to have them from someone who has RECENTLY done the itinerary. I am taking notes ! Must tell dh no booze on Egyptair :eek: I had, however, thought you took EA from NY to Cairo ? Also, anyone use the pool on Neptune ? If not, why ? Seems like it would be nice to come back and slip into a pool.......

Packing has begun.

Have also been looking at 10 day forecast .......seems it SHOULD be much cooler than you the temps you had. Mostly 80's for highs. I am planning for more AND less :o

Anybody ever thought of taking a small bottle of package liquor in your see through bag? you are allowed an ounce in the bottle. Do you think it would work? They have soda I assume, you could mix a cocktail yourself.

Maybe?

:confused:

Anybody ever thought of taking a small bottle of package liquor in your see through bag? you are allowed an ounce in the bottle. Do you think it would work? They have soda I assume, you could mix a cocktail yourself.

Maybe?

:confused:

It works. We've done it before. You just need to be discreet. ;)

My husband was in the pool on the Neptune a couple of times. He enjoyed it and said it was refreshing. Remember, we had the hot weather!! We spent some time up on the pool deck, watching the countryside go by. Really enjoyed it. :) We didn't do any of the fast food chains during river cruise. Although Neptune food was not great, we felt it was more than adequate. Food at the all-inclusive was slightly better. When we got back to Cairo, we took a taxi to their big mall and ate at Ruby Tuesday's. There were also several chain restaurants on different levels, TGI Friday's, Fuddruckers, etc. Afterwards, we went back to the pyramids and watched the sun set behind them, one of our favorite memories. I would definitely recommend taking your own liquor for the plane if you're flying EA. By the end of the flight back to NYC, they had run out of diet pepsi, and a few other beverages. :mad: Those of you traveling next week, have a wonderful, safe time.

Thanks for the pool info. Even tho it will be cooler than when you went, it will still be plenty warm enough for me to get in the pool. Seems like the logical place to cool off after climbing all over the sites :)

Nice to know that there is somewhere to go for some familiar food too.

Also, one more ??? When you flew back from Hurghada to Cairo, about what time did you find you were all done with checking in etc at Iberotel ? Just wondering how much of the afternoon we will have on our own in Cairo on that last day. Our flight leaves the next morning at 10 something a.m. so we will not have that extra day that some have when taking a much later flight.

Wow, really nice to have you guys to ask all these questions..... one week and we are off....... I know it will F-L-Y by. Have a great day ya'll !

Thanks for the pool info. Even tho it will be cooler than when you went, it will still be plenty warm enough for me to get in the pool. Seems like the logical place to cool off after climbing all over the sites :)

Nice to know that there is somewhere to go for some familiar food too.

Also, one more ??? When you flew back from Hurghada to Cairo, about what time did you find you were all done with checking in etc at Iberotel ? Just wondering how much of the afternoon we will have on our own in Cairo on that last day. Our flight leaves the next morning at 10 something a.m. so we will not have that extra day that some have when taking a much later flight.

Wow, really nice to have you guys to ask all these questions..... one week and we are off....... I know it will F-L-Y by. Have a great day ya'll !

We were in Cairo and in the hotel by like 2pm. LONG time to check in once we were there, and then I had to switch rooms because the first was NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Restaurants there were Ok, but just Ok, Nothing to write home about.

Just a hint to everyone, you can not get a decent steak anywhere in Egypt, I tried. AND REMEMBER DO NOT DO THE TEX MEX PLACE AT THE MERIDIAN! Worst food ever!

I guess we did not find the check-in to be a problem and had plenty of time to get to the mall (spent 2 hrs there including eating) and then on to the pyramids. We also left early in the day the next day so did no sightseeing that day. Again though, do not let the hotel get you a taxi. Walk to the road (100 steps or less) and get your own. We used one the hotel had gotten us and he turned out to be very agressive towards the payment that we gave him ($19 US$ tip for a $40 US$ fare). He wanted more and followed my husband around for awhile until my DH made it clear there would not be more. We surmised he was employed by the hotel because we saw his car in the hotel lot early the next morning when we were leaving on the bus for the airport.:mad:

We were in Cairo and in the hotel by like 2pm. LONG time to check in once we were there, and then I had to switch rooms because the first was NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Wow, our transfer ticket says pickup at airport at 10:40 - so I was thinking we would be ready to head out again for a late lunch. Thought the Iberotel was near the airport......? Hmmmm 2:00 huh? Need to re-think plans for last afternoon.

We are hoping to make reservations at the Mena house for dinner one night while in Cairo before the cruise part. Anyone do this ? Think it is fairly close to Meridien.....

thanks again for all the input and so patiently answering so many trivial questions...... seems like they just keep coming :o

For those of you that want to check flights ---

http://flightaware.com/live/

Left column under Airline Flight Tracker type in your airline then flight number. They will then give you several dates that you can check for that flight number. Might give you some idea if the flight runs close to on time or not. Seven weeks and counting.

Ron

Hi Texan,

My group and I are planning on having dinner at the Moghul Room in the Mena House at the beginning of our trip, in Cairo. It looks really good and I have read some excellent reviews. I'll be interested in your assessment when you get back!

Have a great time!

Suzie

Hi Texan,

My group and I are planning on having dinner at the Moghul Room in the Mena House at the beginning of our trip, in Cairo. It looks really good and I have read some excellent reviews. I'll be interested in your assessment when you get back!

Have a great time!

Suzie

Yep, that is where I was thinking about making a reservation. If it works out, I will post our experience.

Wow, the days are flying by. We will be in NY this time next week...... getting ready for our "big adventure" in Egypt. Still not packed. Lots of stuff ready to "go in" in the suitcase but havent made alot of progress past that :rolleyes:

I am soooo ready for this trip. Steph: you getting excited yet ?

Yep, that is where I was thinking about making a reservation. If it works out, I will post our experience.

Wow, the days are flying by. We will be in NY this time next week...... getting ready for our "big adventure" in Egypt. Still not packed. Lots of stuff ready to "go in" in the suitcase but havent made alot of progress past that :rolleyes:

I am soooo ready for this trip. Steph: you getting excited yet ?

I think I'm beyond excited! I've started laying out stuff and trying to figure out what to take. I'm taking a little of everything. I'm taking a few capris for dinners, jeans, cargos and shorts for touring (longer shorts). Tees and tanks for touring and layers. I noticed on CB's pics that some people did wear tanks and shorts as long as they weren't revealing. It looked like it was more acceptable on the nile than in Cairo? I figure I'll "go with the flow" and wear what others do. We are both getting so excited. I noticed they put our seats on the Egyptair flight to Cairo in the docs. I think you're on this board as much as I am ( I'm usually compulsively just checking this thread!).

I think I'm beyond excited! I've started laying out stuff and trying to figure out what to take. I'm taking a little of everything. I'm taking a few capris for dinners, jeans, cargos and shorts for touring (longer shorts). Tees and tanks for touring and layers. I noticed on CB's pics that some people did wear tanks and shorts as long as they weren't revealing. It looked like it was more acceptable on the nile than in Cairo? I figure I'll "go with the flow" and wear what others do.

Yep, thats what I am doing..... a little of everything :) I have quite a few long sleeve (but lightweight) collared shirts to "put on" if I need to be a bit more covered.

We are both getting so excited. I noticed they put our seats on the Egyptair flight to Cairo in the docs. I think you're on this board as much as I am ( I'm usually compulsively just checking this thread!)

We, too, have seat assignments - but just the NY to Cairo flight. We are in seats 30K and 30H. Haven't checked the plane map to see if that is middle or sides etc.....

And yes...... I am here :o Perhaps that is why not much is in the suitcase yet :confused: Oh well...

Cheryl

Cheryl

http://seatexpert.com/

Is one of the best sites on the net for travelers.

I go here before ALL my flights and try for the best seats.

I got great exit row seats on both the flight to and From Egypt. Massive legroom (I could stretch out completely no problem) and it was close to the rest room. There was so much legroom I could get up, stand and walk out into the aisle without disturbing my seatmate. Essential for suchght a long flight!

Check it out yourself and try to switch seats if you have a crappy one!:D

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let you know:

CB on the Radio? Tune in To KUCB/KIAL On Friday 22 from 8-10am Alaska Time! How much Trouble with CB get himself into? Listen in to Find out!

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kial/ppr/index.shtml

Or

http://www.kucb.org/

I will probably be talking about my Egypt trip a bit, in between asking for pledges for the station and Dissing On Obama!:p

Just got back from bunco...... girls night - didnt win but had fun.''

Really crossing off items on my "to do" list which is a good thing since we leave in 5 days :eek: Haircut and cleaning lady today. Finish packing this weekend. Nails on Monday, bank etc on Tues and Wed on a plane to NY. Cannot believe how fast this has gone by. To those leaving in a month or so - it will be here before you know it ;)

I've been looking at some of the mini laptops, just not sure I would ever buy another HP product, will leave it at that. Yes, we're on the December 9th Gate 1 trip. Instead of frying we may be looking at bringing jackets.

Ron

Mac Book Air 11 inch would be a good one to have.

S-T-E-P-H-A-N-I-E ........ Hope you are almost ready !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(or do you have a list of stuff still to do - like me ? ;)) Actually I am almost there.......

Can't believe we leave day after tomorrow - YEEEHAW. See ya soon. TEX

I think I'm ready?? Everything is laid out, just needs to go in the suitcase. Are you staying under the 44 lbs? How many bags are you taking? I'm not taking much at all. You're going to see me in the same clothes a bit! We are so excited. We have a few things left to do. I keep making a list and crossing out stuff so I don't forget.

I think I'm ready?? Everything is laid out, just needs to go in the suitcase. Are you staying under the 44 lbs? How many bags are you taking? I'm not taking much at all. You're going to see me in the same clothes a bit! We are so excited. We have a few things left to do. I keep making a list and crossing out stuff so I don't forget.

Leave lots of room for treasures!! Or, Do what I did and give out some of my t-shirts to the guys on the Neptune. They Loved Them, especially my fancy print T's!

Remember, A Roll of 100 $1 bills is your best friend. Just take like $10 out for each excursion and keep it separate from your other cash. If the Venders see the money in your wallet they will try to get all of it!

If you do end up getting the Perfumed oils remember NOT to open them till you get home. You will break the seal and your entire suitcase can end up smelling like mint or Bergemont. Not much actually came out but it is SOOO strong!

Make sure your suitcase is wide enough to get a poster roll up case in sideways or Diagionally. Thankfully mine was or my Papyrus would not have arrived so well.

GET THE ANITAL right away, you will thank me for it later. (I actualy had a little tummy trouble when I got home and it worked in one day!)

Try to mentally prepare yourself for the fact that Cairo is FILTHY.

Drink lots of water.

Do go to Tea Time on the Neptune.

DO NOT GO TO THE TEX_MEX PLACE AT THE MERIDIAN!

Remember, Bribes get you into more interesting places........;)

Wish I was going again with you!

CB

44 lbs ????? I thought we were allowed 50 lbs. Not sure where I got that....... but as I just checked the website I am still confused. Our tickets say we are class H from NY to Cairo (Class H is not even listed) and class Y (44 lbs) for the intra-Egypt flights. Now, I have been told the intra-Egypt flights they don't even check since we are a group tour.

Me thinks I need to get my scale back from my son.....and weigh these suckers :eek:

My suitcase is very close to being done......Mike's is a work in progress. Carry-on with cameras, computer etc. is not really there yet either. Bank, nails, paid bills and wash today. Doing pretty good actually. I will be ready tho. Got a huge stack of money :o lots of $1.00's - but I am sure I will manage to spend it all (and then some :D)

OK.... son brings scale back. I weigh my suitcase. HAHAHAHA It only weights 41.5 lbs so far and almost everything is in it ! So I will be ok with the 44 lb limit.

will finish up Mike's tomorrow and weigh it - but he should be ok too......

Oh and to answer your ??? - We each have one suitcase, and we each have one carry-on. Both carry-ons are pretty small tho. Electronics in one and my big travel purse gets Rx, wallet, 3 ring binder w/all travel info etc.

OK.... son brings scale back. I weigh my suitcase. HAHAHAHA It only weights 41.5 lbs so far and almost everything is in it ! So I will be ok with the 44 lb limit.

will finish up Mike's tomorrow and weigh it - but he should be ok too......

Oh and to answer your ??? - We each have one suitcase, and we each have one carry-on. Both carry-ons are pretty small tho. Electronics in one and my big travel purse gets Rx, wallet, 3 ring binder w/all travel info etc.

50 lbs is the limit you two!!!

Stop worrying.

Use the extra space for items that you will get rid of over there. Sunscreen, lotion, soap, shampoo, meds, disposable clothing etc.

If you want to make a friend for life take along a cheap but good looking watch. The guys on the Neptune love them.......

TEX and STEPHANIE, I wanted to pop in and wish you both bon voyage! I am so excited for y'all, and hope you have an amazing time!

DH and I were talking last night, and although we leave in just 79 short days, it is still so hard to believe that we are actually going to Egypt, a life-long dream for both of us. I cannot imagine how it would feel to be leaving TOMORROW! Does it feel real yet?

Cindy

It doesn't feel real, Missisippi! I am way too excited, but have to go to work today. I'm sure I'll check cc at least a dozen times though! We get into JFK tomorrow around 1:20 in the afternoon. I think I have everything done? Last minute things we'll tie up tonight.

Steph

Archived