SD2 Fall '10 Transatlantic Crossing

ctbjr1309

As we made our way through the champagne and the sea we saw land in the distance … Virgin Gorda. This is the first time I have ever seen Virgin Gorda from this side of the ocean. Usually we see the island from the always calm and beautiful North Sound.

155391_1348357609000_1833146547_696550_7570013_n.jpg

Our first spotting of Virgin Gorda

Our gang gathered for one final lunch in the Office.

Luncheon at the Topside Restaurant

From the Cold Buffet:

Marinated Crab Claws

Peppered Bresola

Sesame Chicken Breast

Healthy Tossed Salad Prepared a la Minute:

Fresh Caesar Salad Station

Chicken and Noodle Salad

Create Your Own Salad with a Wide Variety of Condiments and a Selection of Dressings

Soup of the Day:

Carrot and Ginger Soup

From the Grill:

Hamburger or Cheeseburger

Hot Dog Served with Relish

Side Dishes:

Red Bliss Potatoes, Pappardelle Pasta, French Fried Potatoes

Summer Bistro:

Pappardelle con Quatro Fromaggio

Croissant Sandwich with Ham, Cheese, Tomato and Cucumber

Chef’s Favorite:

BBQ Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dip

Vegetarian Dish of Today:

Cheese and Onion Spaetzle

SeaDream Wellness Selection:

Wild Rice Salad with Plums, Carrot and Raisins

Oriental Choice:

Beef Vindaloo with Basmati Rice and Poppadum

Prepared a la Minute:

Turkish Shish Kebab with Pita Bread and Mint Yogurt

Grilled Fillet of Snapper on Mixed Lettuce and Fruit Salsa

Wines:

Fume Blanc Robert Mondavi, Napa Valley, 2003, $32

Pinot Gris Reserve, Trimbach, 2003, $38

Wines by Glass:

Cabernet Sauvignon, Saint Francis, Sonoma, USA, 2002, $10

Merlot, Swanson, Napa Valley, 2004, $15

75791_1348358009010_1833146547_696552_3974745_n.jpg

The seas and wind started to calm down a bit.

As we finished lunch we cruised along Virgin Gorda. I asked Clint if it would be possible to listen to some of the Kenny Chesney (aka in our circle as the Caribbean Cowboy) that I had loaded on my iPod. His answer … “But of course!”

There is something very special about being on SeaDream and cruising by the islands that Kenny Chesney sings about in so many of his songs. The music provided the perfect soundtrack as we made our way around Virgin Gorda, Round Rock and Ginger Island and then into the Sir Francis Drake Channel.

148401_1348358169014_1833146547_696553_5956617_n.jpg

In the distance you can see the beach area of the resort Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda.

The scheduled afternoon activities included Team Trivia: SeaDream Ports of Call. DJ’s DH and I passed as we were enjoying the ever changing island views.

It soon became apparent that we were going to drop anchor off Tortola for awhile. The only question was where. Oli, Lena and I headed up to the Bridge where we requested permission from Captain Terje to enter. His answer … “But of course.”

We then stood against the wall as we didn’t want to be in the way while the Captain and Crew were busy finding the best anchorage for us. It was quite an incredible experience to be on the Bridge as we dropped anchor off Beef Island. Oli, a retired commercial airline pilot who still flies a great deal, was very excited as we could watch the planes take off from and land at the airport!

Securely at anchor, we headed back to the Office and the Bali beds. DJ’s DH and I had decided to book a trip while on board for next December. He has finally learned that the only way to have any hope of quelling the waterworks as I near disembarkation is to have another trip booked.

So after booking our next trip, DJ’s DH headed back to the stateroom for his final nap of the trip while AirSea, ctbjr and I spent our last afternoon watching the weather move up and down the Channel.

148419_1348383369644_1833146547_696589_6426143_n.jpg

A rain squall moving through the Sir Frances Drake Channel

While the wait staff was setting up for dinner at the Topside Restaurant a huge squall moved through. An announcement was made, to the disappointment of many, that dinner would be held in the Dining Salon because of inclement weather.

155628_1348383489647_1833146547_696590_4132654_n.jpg

Our last sunset this trip over Tortola, near right, and St. John, far left.

74172_1348383569649_1833146547_696591_801427_n.jpg

One of my other favorite spots, my blue chair, on SeaDream 2 off the coast of Tortola.

Oh too soon it was time to head back to the stateroom to get ready for dinner and to start the horrible task of packing. Several SD trips ago DJ’s DH insisted that we pack after dinner. Needless to say it was a disaster as all I did was cry through dinner knowing that I had to go back to the stateroom and pack.

Now DJ’s DH has a new strategy … just as we drink champagne as we are unpacking before dinner the first night we now drink champagne as we are packing before dinner the last night. I still cried, a mix of happy and sad tears … happy to have spent an incredible 11 nights on board our beloved SeaDream with friends … old and new, passengers and staff and crew… and sad knowing that the real world was waiting for me once I stepped on land again.

As we were packing up the phone rang. It was Jamie and he wanted to know how many we would be dining with this evening as he had a special table for us. Somehow the staff knew that dining al fresco once last time would bring a smile to my face.

We headed off to the Cocktail Party in the Main Salon to hear Captain Terje one last time. He gave a touching farewell and yes, of course, my eyes welled up. Captain Terje explained that he would not be at the gangway to see us off as is a SeaDream tradition because officials from the US Coast Guard, Public Health and other agencies would be boarding to begin the inspections for the Caribbean season.

149565_1348383849656_1833146547_696593_673765_n.jpg

The Master of SeaDream 2, Captain Terje Willassen, wishing us a fond farewell.

He also explained that around 9 p.m. we would pick up the anchor and sail over to find our sister yacht, SeaDream 1 and then we would head toward San Juan. Captain Terje also said that there might be some motion in the ocean during the night so he suggested that folks take their seasickness preventive of choice.

Our group headed up to Deck 4 where Enes had a lovely table waiting for the seven of us. We had a lovely view of Tortola and the airplanes landing and leaving the island.

Dinner Menu:

Marinated Crab Meat with Avocado-Cucumber Crème, Herb Lettuce, Tomato Salsa and Phyllo Dough with Fresh Herbs

Homemade Terrine of Foie Gras on Butter Brioche Crostini, Pear Chutney and Caramel D’Epices Dressing

Sea Scallops Skewer on Thai Risotto and Chicken Galangal Soup

Soups:

Parmentier Soup

Caramelized Onion Soup with Cheese Crouton

Chilled Orange and Banana

Salads:

Boston and Mache Lettuce with Italian Dressing and Fresh Herbs

German Potato Salad with Gherkins and Onions

World Flavor:

Tagliatelle with Crispy Garlic Chips, Fresh Spinach and Virgin Olive Oil

Chef’s Main Dishes:

Swordfish Steak on a Bed of Green Creamy Leeks and Bacon

Surf and Turf – Tournedos of Beef Tenderloin and Half Lobster Tail with Mashed Potato and Sauce Béarnaise

Roulade of Turkey Breast Wrapped in Prosciutto Ham, Herb Rice and Basil Cream Sauce

Courgette Roulade with White Wine Curry Cream and Honey Balsamic Reduction

Daily available A la Carte Selection:

Caviar Classic – 1 ounce Caviar with Classic Condiments and Melba Toast - $44

Caviar Deluxe Duo – 3 ounces Caviar with Egg, Crème Fraiche, Lemon, Onion, Blinis and Melba Toast - $132

Consommé Double with Batonnet au Fromage

Caesar Salad served with Croutons and Grated Parmesan Cheese

Linguini al Pesto or with Chunky Tomato Sauce

Broiled Fillet of Organic Salmon with Caper Butter

Chicken Breast with Herbs, Lemon and Virgin Olive Oil

Grilled NY Cut Strip-Loin Steak, Madagascar Sauce

Rosemary Marinated Lamb Chops with Natural Gravy

All dishes may be ordered with your choice of French Fries, Baked Potato, Rice and Vegetable of the Day.

Desserts:

Pastry Chef Jose Del Rosario Signature Dessert – Chocolate Souffle with Godiva Sauce

Profiteroles Stuffed with Bailey’s Cream and Toffee Sauce

Apple Jacket with Lemon Tea Sorbet

Selection of Homemade Ice Cream, Sorbet and Frozen Yogurt – Vanilla, Pistachio and Maple Walnut Ice Cream, Lemon Tea Sorbet and Mixed Berries Frozen Yogurt

Assorted International Cheeses Served with Home Made Cheese Bread

White Wines:

Pouilly-Fuisse, Louis Jadot, Burgundy, 2008, $45

Chardonnay, Far Niente, Napa Valley, 2008, $82

Fume Blanc, Robert Mondavi, Napa Valley, 2003, $32

Red Wines:

Chateau Chasse-Pleen, Bordeaux, 2004, $74

Pinot Noir, Robert Mondavi, Carneros, 2007, $67

Echezeaux, Grand Cru, Louis Jadot, Burgundy, 2004, $142

Wine by the Glass:

Pinot Grigio, Santa Margherita, Italy, 2008, $8

Sancerre, Pascal Jolivet, France, 2008, $12

St. Francis Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma, USA, 2002, $10

Swanson, Napa Valley, USA, 2004, $15

Toward the end of dinner we picked up the anchor and ever so slowly started our sail down the Sir Frances Drake Channel.

After a delicious dinner and wonderful conversation, DJ’s DH and I excused ourselves and headed up to Deck 5 to one of our favorite spots along the rail, right before the bridge wing. We watched the lights of Roadtown off the starboard side as we almost silently slid through the inky black waters under an almost full moon.

Once again we felt like we were the only people on our private yacht as we made our way through the cut between Great Thatch Island and Soper’s Hole, Tortola. It was so quiet you could hear the tree frogs from both islands as made our way between the two islands.

Off in the distance we could barely see the outline of Jost Van Dyke and the shimmering lights of SeaDream 1.

74459_1348388089762_1833146547_696604_7574415_n.jpg

Sneaking up on our sister! Not really!!

It hardly felt like we were moving but we were nearing SeaDream 1 as she lay at anchor off Great Harbor.

76069_1348951463846_1833146547_697315_8054718_n.jpg

SeaDream 1 off Jost.

As we circled around SeaDream 1 the sister yachts called to each other with ships horns and passenger and crew cheers and joyful shouts. It was quite a sight to behold … the mirror image of our ship and all of her beauty.

149972_1348954823930_1833146547_697323_4500000_n.jpg

154643_1348957944008_1833146547_697326_2355062_n.jpg

149226_1348958144013_1833146547_697327_1632232_n.jpg

One last photo of SeaDream 1 at anchor off Jost.

After paying our respects to our twin, we idled in the channel off St. Thomas where we watched the twinkling lights which seemed to welcome us back to reality.

At the TOY Bar it was one last round of drinks with our gang and Clint and Roland and a series of goodbyes. Around midnight we stopped in the Piano Bar one last time to thank Zoltan and Edgardo for the fun they provided all week.

DJ’s DH and I then headed to the stateroom where we closed up the suitcases and placed them outside our door. Such a sad sight.

We ordered room service for the next morning … coffee, orange juice, bagels, lox and cream cheese. The last sight we spied before drifting off to sleep were the lights of St. Thomas. And I fell asleep counting the days until our next voyage ...

Sunday, November 21

Our wakeup calls came much too early. Actually, the phone rang right on time and the breakfast was cheerfully delivered on time. While breakfast was served in the Topside Restaurant from 7 to 8:30 a.m. we kept our tradition of having room service as it makes it easier to finish the last minute packing and saves DJ’s DH from having to explain why his wife is wiping her eyes.

DJ’s DH and I commented to each other that we have a good night’s sleep and that we didn’t feel any motion in the ocean.

I opened the drapes to find cloud filled and gray skies and lumpy seas. The conditions certainly were a reflection of my emotions. Before we knew it the San Juan Harbor Pilot Boat pulled up alongside for the navigation into Old San Juan and the pier.

154952_1346594364920_1833146547_693046_5610925_n.jpg

The pilot boat pulling alongside SeaDream 2 as seen from our window.

150846_1348958344018_1833146547_697328_7038440_n.jpg

Getting ready to dock in Old San Juan.

A little before 8 a.m. we were docked.

DJ’s DH tried to lighten the mood by sharing with me that our upgrade to first class for the flight home had come through. It didn’t work.

We headed up to the Topside Restaurant and Deck 6 to say our goodbyes to all the wonderful staff and crew who took such outstanding care of us all week. We stopped by the Concierge to drop off our contribution to the Crew Welfare Fund and to retrieve our passports.

We then headed back to our stateroom for one more round of Grand Mimosas with AirSea before the dreaded announcement was made that we had to disembark.

I think we were close to the last passengers to walk down the gangway. HotMan Peter insisted on carrying our hand luggage to the pier for us. Actually I think he was just making sure I was really leaving.:eek::p

We said our final goodbye and took one last woeful look back to our beloved SeaDream 2. We headed into the Terminal Building to collect our luggage and clear Customs and Immigration.

AirSea and FT were waiting for us as we decided since we were all scheduled on the same flight out we would taxi together to the airport. We arrived at the airport in no time and then checked in. There were several mass market ships in port but their passengers had yet to reach the airport so there were no real lines at check in and security. We were at the gate by 9:45 a.m. in plenty of time for our 2 p.m. flight.

Time moved slowly but soon it was time to board the airplane and wing our way back home … and to reality.

If you'd like, I have some final thoughts and observations to share before ending this saga...

Yes please! :)

I loved that you added pics to your revew, DJ - feels like we were there, right along side of you.

Oh that "last supper" and final morning on board - when you realize your time spent with SD crew and friends, new and old, is coming to an end - are they not the saddest?! I keep saying I'm not going to tear up, but I always do!! :(

DJ, you are absolutely right -- the only way to manage saying goodbye to SD and her crew is to have another voyage booked!! I suspect we will do the deposit for an unspecified voyage since I don't have a specific trip in mind at present -- other than 8 days in January and 11 in May!

I remember saying goodbye to CDreamer on our first cruise together -- I was on Deck 4 and called to her just as they were getting ready to go down the gangway. I have a wonderful picture of her waving back to me, both of us in tears :-(

Yes, we want to hear your final thoughts and observations!

Vandrefalk

Yes please! :)

I loved that you added pics to your revew, DJ - feels like we were there, right along side of you.

Oh that "last supper" and final morning on board - when you realize your time spent with SD crew and friends, new and old, is coming to an end - are they not the saddest?! I keep saying I'm not going to tear up, but I always do!! :(

I figured I need to break up all that text with something. I had already loaded the photos to Facebook so it was easy to insert them.

Agree 100 percent that the saddest moments are those two last meals.

Loved all the posts and pictures!

Glad you enjoyed!:D

DJ, you are absolutely right -- the only way to manage saying goodbye to SD and her crew is to have another voyage booked!! I suspect we will do the deposit for an unspecified voyage since I don't have a specific trip in mind at present -- other than 8 days in January and 11 in May!

I remember saying goodbye to CDreamer on our first cruise together -- I was on Deck 4 and called to her just as they were getting ready to go down the gangway. I have a wonderful picture of her waving back to me, both of us in tears :-(

Yes, we want to hear your final thoughts and observations!

Vandrefalk

I know you understand Vandrefalk! It is amazing how we build last friendships on SD.

I'll work on that wrap up in the next day or so!

Somehow I knew Jim would want a wrap up and more details:p

Thanks DJ for all the great reporting! Have really enjoyed reading GWTW-SD style. Also glad to see that our very favorite waiter on our Croatia cruise, Enes was obviously one of your favorites too. Since he was from Croatia, he would give me lists of what I needed to buy in certain ports, and what and where we should eat lunch on shore. I'm hoping he will be on board when we sail in January.

Thanks DJ for all the great reporting! Have really enjoyed reading GWTW-SD style. Also glad to see that our very favorite waiter on our Croatia cruise, Enes was obviously one of your favorites too. Since he was from Croatia, he would give me lists of what I needed to buy in certain ports, and what and where we should eat lunch on shore. I'm hoping he will be on board when we sail in January.

I'm going to break the bad news to you now . . .hopefully you will get over it by the time you board, but Enes is going home for the holidays and I don't think he will be back in January. He was excited to be home for Christmas but wasn't looking foward to being back on snow shoveling duty. Apparently, in his city there is a rotation for snow shoveling and if you don't do your duty the mayor shows up and fines you!

DJ -- wonderful wonderful review - details remind me of all I've already forgotten. And the pictures of SD I on the last night were fantastic. But you should have been topside on the morning we sailed into San Juan or when we passed ST. Marteen before Sombrero Island. Of course I should have seen the whales . . . so much to do, so little time on a crossing.

FT

Very well done, DJ. A very admirable chronicle of a wonderful trip. Thanks for the memories! If it makes you feel any better our documents for next month's trip are en route from Houston! It's not to late for you to join us.....

You're welcome:D

Wish we were joining you but duty (work) calls ... at least for DJ's DH!

DJ -- wonderful wonderful review - details remind me of all I've already forgotten. And the pictures of SD I on the last night were fantastic. But you should have been topside on the morning we sailed into San Juan or when we passed ST. Marteen before Sombrero Island. Of course I should have seen the whales . . . so much to do, so little time on a crossing.

FT

Thanks FT! Seeing SD1 the last night really was quite magical.

I'm not much of a sunrise person ... sunsets, well that's a whole other story!:D

Ain't that the truth! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Agreed!

You're welcome! Writing the review/journal is a wonderful way to relive the experience once the SD withdraw becomes almost intolerable!:eek:

Enes gave us some information on a wonderful resort that he insists we must try when we get to Croatia. He is a delightful person.

Disney Jen: Thank you, thank you for all your wonderful written memories. I have enjoyed every word, and your lovely photos bring back great memories of many of the same staff we had on our trip last year.

My pleasure rolltide!

I have started the wrap up and final thoughts. I hope to post it tomorrow as today is going to be one of those pre-holiday crazy days!

We want wrap up and final thoughts.:D Your great pictures and review are making us seriously consider a crossing on SD.:eek: Thanks for all the work.

J.

I know YOU do Jim:p

DJ's DH wasn't so sure about a crossing before made our maiden voyage. We were at a holiday gathering last night and it was all he could talk about ... go figure. I think he summed it up best my saying it wasn't on his Bucket List before we sailed. Now he has put it on the list, crossed it off and is looking to add it back on again.:rolleyes:

You're welcome!

Now he has put it on the list, crossed it off and is looking to add it back on again.

In light of the schedule, we can't do the Fall '11 Crossing. Here's hoping the Fall '12 Crossing departs in November. If it does, I'd venture to say that we'll be there. Anybody care to join us?

In light of the schedule, we can't do the Fall '11 Crossing. Here's hoping the Fall '12 Crossing departs in November. If it does, I'd venture to say that we'll be there. Anybody care to join us?

Remember too, the Fall 12 crossing on SD 2 is rumored to be leaving from Barcelona and be 14 or 15 nights!

FT

Count me in!

Remember too, the Fall 12 crossing on SD 2 is rumored to be leaving from Barcelona and be 14 or 15 nights!

FT

One can only dream ... SeaDream that is:D:p:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I thought a crossing would be boring...but your descriptions and pictures have totally convinced me we must try this one day!

And oh, the menus!!! It must have taken you forever to type those up, but they made my mouth water. I am smiling to myself, because my husband has no clue what a grand treat he'll be getting in March. :-)

Thank you so much for all your time spent on this!

Hmm, I thought a crossing would be boring...but your descriptions and pictures have totally convinced me we must try this one day!

And oh, the menus!!! It must have taken you forever to type those up, but they made my mouth water. I am smiling to myself, because my husband has no clue what a grand treat he'll be getting in March. :-)

4liberty, DJ loves what she does... And it serves as the most wonderful journal of our trips...

For me, this was a "yes,dear" trip... I had no desire to do a trans-Atlantic, but knew SD would meet or exceed my expectations. I went along because DJ wanted to do it...

Then I got home, and started my bucket list, added a trans-Atlantic on SD, and checked it off all on the same day. What's next, DJ?:cool:

You are very welcome 4liberty!

The menu descriptions don't do justice to the incredible food!

Enjoy!

4liberty' date=' DJ loves what she does... And it serves as the most wonderful journal of our trips...

For me, this was a "yes,dear" trip... I had no desire to do a trans-Atlantic, but knew SD would meet or exceed my expectations. I went along because DJ wanted to do it...

Then I got home, and started my bucket list, added a trans-Atlantic on SD, and checked it off all on the same day. What's next, DJ?:cool:[/quote']

I do love journaling our SD trips ... and no, I am not compensated in any way, shape or form by SD. I know DJ's DH wishes that I was!:eek:

Check my signature dear for our next SD trip ... or perhaps there will be one sooner.

The crossing is checked off my Bucket List ... and hopefully now part of our regular SD rotation!:cool:

Archived