Where do the CRUISE cards go?

Infi

Just returned from my last cruise on Sunday, and I have a question already. ;) I filled out two of the C.R.U.I.S.E cards for two outstanding crew members we encountered on our trip, and have been wondering: where do the cards go? I know part of the reason for the cards is a nomination for the employee of the month award, but they must be used for something else, too. Does the staff member get to read them/know they got one? And, most importantly, do they get any sort of perk or reward for them? Thanks, all!

Many years ago a small group of us encountered the best bar waiter we had ever seen on any ship. I mean, this guy could read our minds, knew our names from the first drink, and even remembered what we drank and how we liked them prepared (a little differently). We also ran into him on Princess Cays (as he was delivering drinks there also), and he greeted us by name and asked us if we would like our 'insert favorite drink for each here'. And we only bought drinks from him maybe 6 times throughout the entire cruise.

We all filled out the C.R.U.I.S.E. cards and turned them in the last night onboard telling how he made our cruise special. He did really make a difference and he was so happy and bubbly, I remember him to this day.

A year or so later, as we boarded a ship, we went to the pool bar for a drink. The bartender looked up and said "I know you two". Yep, you guessed it, it was our bar waiter, only now he was a bartender. He told us that our cruise comment cards (you made a difference) he had hanging in his stateroom, and that they were a big part of the reason (along with other comments he had gotten those months) that he was now a bartender. Yes, he had been promoted.

So, if you find someone onboard that really added to the enjoyment of your cruise, or went out of their way to do special things for you, definitely fill out those comment cards in their name. It makes a huge different for them and their paycheck if they receive enough of them. ;)

Toto,

I am so glad to hear that. On our first cruise we had a member of the CD staff the was outstanding. We would run into her alot and had cocktails with her a few times. She really made that first cruise special. All six of us filled out cards about what a difference she made, I am glad to hear that maybe she got to see them. I almost forgot but we did the same for a bartender on the sailing also. Hope he got to see his too.:D

We have always enclosed the "You Made the Difference" cards in an envelope along with a "Thank You" card and extra tip and handed it to our room steward. I assume he then hands it in to the proper person??

We have always enclosed the "You Made the Difference" cards in an envelope along with a "Thank You" card and extra tip and handed it to our room steward. I assume he then hands it in to the proper person??

We were told they should be handed into the Purser or the individual's supervisor. They would probably rather not have the crew member handing them in b/c there could be issues with "false" you made a difference cards. On the Tahitian, we had the best waiter and assistant waiter ever. These guys were just incredible, funny, attentive ... truly the best. The last night, I saw them speaking with the maitre d'. I took that oppty to go over then, tell them in front of their boss what an incredible job that had done, what a great team they made, and then gave the maitre d' the "You Made A Difference Card." Then I gave them their additional tips. They were so appreciative, but they also deserved it.

If we're not able to do it that way, we have handed in the cards to the purser, but when giving out extra tips we tell those for whom we have submitted a card, so that they know to ask their supervisor about it if they don't hear anything.

I am friends with a deputy cruise director and spent one cruise hanging out with him and the cruise director. They said that they spend the turn-around day (or soon after) reading all the "You Made A Difference" cards and recording what was said. They do that as soon as possible so they can get them back to the employee that was written about so that person can remember the passengers that wrote them. If them give them back 3 weeks later, the employee might not remember.

Now corporate may not get the record of it until the paperwork makes its way up the chain, but they really want the employee to know who filled it out as soon as they can.

Please, everyone, fill out those cards! They mean A LOT to managment in ways that they themselves can't observe with everything they need to do in a night. Their number one priority is how they make us feel and they can't measure that without those cards!!!

The cards are good but a letter is better. Two years ago I wrote 3 good letters and one bad one a few days before the end of a 14 day Hawaii cruise on the Star. The bad one was about the Captain's Circle Hostess who was obnoxious and dismissive, and the good ones on my waiter, steward and one of the Assistant Pursers. A day later I was asked to come down to the Hotel Manager's office for a private meeting. He assured me that he would monitor "CC Hostess P" in future as he had just joined the ship on that cruise. He then thanked me for the positive letters and told me that he had read my letter at his staff meeting because the Assistant Purser was going home at the end of the cruise and then gave her a copy to give to her parents in India so they could see how well she was doing.

I heard from my waiter that his boss was also considering a promotion for him as well. I believe that if my only letter had been the negative one (by the way I had had the CC hostess on a prior cruise and she was just as bad) I might have been written off as a complainer, but because I wrote good letters, I got the attention of someone who could do something with my comments. The crew really appreciate the positive comments because they are so often treated as fixtures, not people. After over 50 cruises including 28 with Princess the crew are an important part of the experience, and honest positive comments to the good ones make their life better and get them the right kind of attention.

Promotions are given out to those who are singled out by passengers.

In the past few years that I have been cruising, our head waiters have been encouraging us to fill out the comment cards and to mark it with a 5 rating.

I always fill out the cards, but felt I shouldn't be told by one of the staff.

It's as though they're pushing you, requesting what to fill out, just so they can receive a day off or some kind of promotion.

We were told they should be handed into the Purser or the individual's supervisor. They would probably rather not have the crew member handing them in b/c there could be issues with "false" you made a difference cards.

I agree, but what is confusing is that the instructions with the card say you could give it to the person it is about.

Many years ago a small group of us encountered the best bar waiter we had ever seen on any ship. I mean, this guy could read our minds, knew our names from the first drink, and even remembered what we drank and how we liked them prepared (a little differently). We also ran into him on Princess Cays (as he was delivering drinks there also), and he greeted us by name and asked us if we would like our 'insert favorite drink for each here'. And we only bought drinks from him maybe 6 times throughout the entire cruise.

We all filled out the C.R.U.I.S.E. cards and turned them in the last night onboard telling how he made our cruise special. He did really make a difference and he was so happy and bubbly, I remember him to this day.

A year or so later, as we boarded a ship, we went to the pool bar for a drink. The bartender looked up and said "I know you two". Yep, you guessed it, it was our bar waiter, only now he was a bartender. He told us that our cruise comment cards (you made a difference) he had hanging in his stateroom, and that they were a big part of the reason (along with other comments he had gotten those months) that he was now a bartender. Yes, he had been promoted.

So, if you find someone onboard that really added to the enjoyment of your cruise, or went out of their way to do special things for you, definitely fill out those comment cards in their name. It makes a huge different for them and their paycheck if they receive enough of them. ;)

Often we have found a drop off box by the Passenger Services Desk for these cards. If we can't find one, we just hand over to the desk. I'm glad to see these make a difference to those we are signalling out for making a difference.

I don't remember if we had fill out such a card for our ass't waiter on one cruise, but we certainly praised her on our comment card. On our next cruise (a year and a half later), she was our waiter.

They would have to be really bad for us to give negative comments.

That being said, if our cabin steward/stewardess even goes a little above what you would expect (and I suppose that would be relative) then the card would be filled out with "excellent" marks.

There has only been one cruise that we did not fill out the card. The Steward kept pushing us to do so. He did not deserve excellent marks. So we just did not fill it out.

That is where I agree with Sandytoes, you should not be asked to do this by a staff member.

Toto & Sox Fan Cruiser - thank you so much for sharing those stories. I feel a lot better knowing about what actually happens with the cards and that the ship staff really takes the comments to heart. I did fill them out on the last morning and dropped them in the Purser's box, but now I see that's probably better than actually giving it to the crew member as the cards suggest to do. I was just so impressed by these crew members, I felt that filling out the cards was the least I could do for them. I hope they get their deserved recognition for them. :)

I agree, but what is confusing is that the instructions with the card say you could give it to the person it is about.

They need to do a re-print. I remember on the Regal (ah.... the Regal ... miss her so), I tried to hand it directly to the crew member I was wanting to single out and he was the one who told me it would be better if I turned it in instead.

On the Golden, I too was put off on the last night by our otherwise, "Ok, but not great" waitress who actually handed each of us a piece of paper ... that's right, handed them to each of us ... telling us which box to mark on the comment card and to make sure to fill in "5" (excellent). I could not believe it. To the contrary, I wrote a comment on the comment card that the crew should be instructed NOT to do this. When I worked in the industry, that kind of self-promotion was forbidden.

On the Golden, I too was put off on the last night by our otherwise, "Ok, but not great" waitress who actually handed each of us a piece of paper ... that's right, handed them to each of us ... telling us which box to mark on the comment card and to make sure to fill in "5" (excellent). I could not believe it. To the contrary, I wrote a comment on the comment card that the crew should be instructed NOT to do this. When I worked in the industry, that kind of self-promotion was forbidden.

I can't remember a time that the waitstaff did not remiond us that the form would be in our room and a high rating would be appreciated.

While we filled out the cards on our cruise, we also went to the customer service desk to pass on our comments in person to the supervisor. Further, I wrote about the 3 staff members and named them in my review that I posted here on CC and on my blog ( http://www.stamperspad.com/caribbean_princess ).

After ensuring the blog was up and running I called our contact at Princess Cruises (we booked through Princess so she was like a TA for us). I told her about the blog and the writeup and asked for her assurances that the proper people would notice our comments about these individuals.

This way not only the employees but anyone that cares to read my blog will know how we felt about the Princess Experience and the care these individuals provided.

I can't remember a time that the waitstaff did not remiond us that the form would be in our room and a high rating would be appreciated.

This was not a reminder, ala, "You'll have an oppty to comment on your dining experinence, and I hope you remember to mention us favorably." That, I would not find offensive. This was, "I'm giving you a sheet of paper to remind you to Fill in Circle 5 on Question Nos. 15 and 17 on the Comment Card." Big difference.

Funny thing, the team on the Tahitian never even gave a subtle reminder ... They didn't have to. They just provided excellent service.

My wife experienced an accident on our Star Princess cruise and was hobbled and needed the use of a cane. When the accident occurred (near the International Cafe), we were almost immediately surrounded by what seemed to be the entire staff of the International Cafe. They notified the medical staff and stayed with us until the doctor arrived. They were genuinely cconcerned, caring, etc.

On all our later visits to the International Cafe (which were frequent, BTW), they continued to be just as warm and caring.

We not only filled out comment cards. We also contacted the hotel manager directly to let him know how good they were. We also gave the hotel manager envelopes with "tips" for those employees several days before the end of the cruise. Each of the employees subsequently told us that he/she had been called to the hotel manager's office and given the "tip" directly along with the sincerest thanks of the hotel manager.

That experience (not the accident itself) is what led us to book another Princess cruise.

Be sure to get the last name of anyone you might like to comment on. We had a wonderful waitress one night in anytime dining. I assumed we would cross her path again but we didn't and they need the last names to give appropriate credit.

There are two types of cards -

1. The end of trip evaluation - these are the cards where people solicit the 5 (excellent) rating, as anything less could affect their raises, etc.

2. You Made A Difference cards - these are freeform text, like a letter, and should be turned in at the Pursor's office. On our last cruise we gave two of these and both recipients said they should be turned in to the Pursor's office, although our steward took it and turned it in for us. Our server, Marcela in Cafe Caribe would not take it from us, but asked us politely to turn it in. We had her read what we said so she would know who made the comments when next she saw them. She was quite moved, and hugs were exchanged. Extra gratuities were given separately.

We were told that besides going into their records, there is a drawing of the You Made a Difference cards for the Employee of the Week, which is quite an honor to receive, and carries extra perks for the recipient. But the biggest thing as mentioned below is that these people now are seen as excellent employees for promotion and for contract renewal.

So if someone is really special, ask for a You Made A Difference card at the Pursor's desk. For some reason they don't leave them out on the counter.

Archived