Will we make it on time?

KMR

We bought a air cruise package from a large online cruise agency. We are flying from Atlanta at 6:00PM with a stop over in Paris that arrives at 8:35 AM. It departs Paris at 9:45 AM and arrives in Rome at 11:50 AM. We are taking a cruise that departs at 6:00PM. We are taking cruise transfers from the airport to the port. The last bus leaves at 2:30 PM. Do you think we will make it on time? I tried to get the plane changed but the cruise agency absolutely refused to do it. They said that the cruise deadline for last arrivals is noon. We make it by ten minutes. I am very, very worried that we are going to miss our cruise departure. Let this be a lesson, no air cruise deal is a good deal when you have no control over your destination. Those of you that have flown into Rome and traveled the two hours to the port, what do you think? Will we make it or do I have to worry from now unti we get to the port?

It is doubtful I would ever book cruise air and your flights are a good illustration why. Not only do you not have much time to make it in Rome, you don't have much time to get to your next flight in Paris. You have only one hour. What if that flight is late and you miss your connection? Yes, I would be very worried.

You don't give much information. Is this a package deal where you can't just cancel the air portion? If you could cancel that part, I would and book my own.

That is really pushing it. It is do-able but if your first flight is delayed, you risk missing the ship. I would suggest flying in the day before your cruise and spend the night at a hotel. Also, very short connection times run a risk of your luggage not making the next flight.

Unfortunately this is a nonrefundable ticket. I yelled at everyone, the agent, the air dept, and customer service. They will not change the flight without me paying $250.00 each for my husband and myself and then the difference between what they claim they paid for the ticket and what the new fare will be. It would come out to about $800.00 or $900.00 more. This was the worst mistake I have ever made. I have taken two other Med. cruises where I arranged my own air and hotel arrangements and always flew in a day early. I have cruise insurance but it will only help me if I miss my cruise to get to the next port, two sea days later.

For future trips, you probably DID have an option and could have asked for an air deviation. There is normally a charge to do this, depending on the cruise line, but you could have most definitely asked to come in a day early or even request a specific carrier. Often transfers are not included if you do the deviation, but it would have given you peace of mind. This is a close connection.

I can't think of one cruise line that doesn't offer air deviations.

I wouldn't count on a one hour and 10 minute layover for travel within the US if I was flying in shortly before the cruise was leaving.

I haven't flown to Europe yet, but I asked some questions on this board a month or so ago when I was planning our flights because I wondered how immigration worked if you had to switch planes in Europe. Everyone said yes, you had to go through immigration before your next flight and that it would require additional time. Many people also say going through CDG in Paris is a big hassle.

Atlanta is notorious for having delays when there is rain.

I personally wouldn't count on everything going perfectly (although it might.) If I were you, I'd now be weighing the additional cost of changing your flights vs. what what you'd have to do to catch up to the ship and how much of the cruise you might miss. Is the 2nd day of the cruise at sea or is it a port day? On the positive side, if you decide to go at least a day early, you could do some sightseeing in Rome.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I feel your pain.

Unfortunately this is a nonrefundable ticket. I yelled at everyone, the agent, the air dept, and customer service. They will not change the flight without me paying $250.00 each for my husband and myself and then the difference between what they claim they paid for the ticket and what the new fare will be. It would come out to about $800.00 or $900.00 more. This was the worst mistake I have ever made. I have taken two other Med. cruises where I arranged my own air and hotel arrangements and always flew in a day early. I have cruise insurance but it will only help me if I miss my cruise to get to the next port, two sea days later.

Well the mistake has been made and not much to do now but hope it works and be happy you have insurance. But I guess i am curious as to why if you have made the arrangements in the past on your own and it worked for you, would you have changed your methods of air, precruise hotel travel planning for this cruise ? :confused:

But I guess i am curious as to why if you have made the arrangements in the past on your own and it worked for you, would you have changed your methods of air, precruise hotel travel planning for this cruise ? :confused:

I have a feeling the OP might had purchased a last minute cruise and air deal from a on-line agency for a real good price, thus this is why they did it this way. I had a similar adventure last year with an unbelievable price for a last minute Northern Europe cruise and business class flights all rolled together through one of the large on-line agencies. Once I got the flight info I had the same reaction as the OP, what the hell did I get myself into:eek: (lol). And of course I got the same response from the online TA that any changes would be double the price I paid:(.

I wish I could share all our tight connections worked out, but the truth be told it was the worst experience in my life sitting on the tarmac knowing we are going to be too late and now going to miss our cruise. This is why I will never-ever do cruise air the rest of my life no matter how great the price is.

I wish the OP the best of luck and do some homework and figure out what flights will be available if your CDG connection is a bust.

John

Nobody has brought it up, but doesn't the OP have to clear immigration at CDG (Schengen rules). Then retrieve luggage and clear Customs in Rome BEFORE they can get on the transfer.

IF the planets are all aligned, you MAY make it. I would be planning on backup flights NOW to get you to your cruise at the next port. You will get little help from the cruise line, especially because you are in a foreign country and if for no other reason, the time difference. IF there is a problem, it will most likely occur at CDG. And there would be no reason to have cruise line personnel at CDG.

All I can say is good luck!!!

I think the OP ought to be able to make it, tho' perhaps not using the options he's bought.

First, he has 6 hours between scheduled arrival at Rome (11:50) and cruise departure (6pm). Secondly, it isn't two hours from Rome airport at Fiumicino to the port at Civitvecchia, it's barely an hour along the coast road which is a good motorway. So even if the OP is late arriving at Rome, and even if he has missed all the transfer buses, as long as he's able to get out to the taxis by about 4pm or a bit later, he can make it. True, there will be a significant cost for the taxi, but he get to the port before they stop embarkations.

Ok you mention additional cost to change the air arrangements. When are you traveling??? How much credit will you get to cancel the air thru the cruiseline?? Is it nonrefundable to who< the TA or the airline? What cruise line are you using? Any extra details might help others come up with some ideas. If you could change your flights and end up out 1k total or so would that make a difference?

Does anyone know can they try standby flying earlier than their booked flights?

That depends on the airline. I agree with Tom_UK, if nothing else can be done, OP can take a cab, and perhaps should prearrange it anyway, from the airport to the ship. Expensive, but better than missing their cruise.

Ok you mention additional cost to change the air arrangements. When are you traveling??? How much credit will you get to cancel the air thru the cruiseline?? Is it nonrefundable to who< the TA or the airline? What cruise line are you using? Any extra details might help others come up with some ideas. If you could change your flights and end up out 1k total or so would that make a difference?

No standbys on cruise air tickets unless the airline approves it. NOT a lot of options for earlier flights. And since they have the air info already, I would guess their cruise is within the next 60 days and the cancellation penalty would be very high. OP already stated it would cost $250.00pp to change + difference in air fare. I would guess the same amount for a cancellation fee or maybe even higher. PLUS purchasing new tickets.

IMHO, the CDG transfer is the BIG problem. And if I am not mistaken about when the OP is flying and by chance they are flying AF681 and 9832, the times have slightly changed (through September). The layover in CDG is now 1 hour 35 minutes and the plane does not arrive FCO until 12:15. So a slightly longer layover time, BUT a later arrival.

Thank you for all of your replies. It's good to hear that the trip is only an hour from the airport to the port. I don't know why it takes the bus 1 and 3/4 hours to 2 hours, per the cruiseline rep. I feel a little better now that I know that I can get a cab at the last minute, by 4 or even 4:30 we will still be able to get to the ship before it leaves . I booked the cruise transfer just to be sure that they were tracking our flight and knew we were on the plane and coming. I don't know if they wait any longer knowing that a plane is on the way or not. At any rate there is nothing I can do about it now except get stressed out.

Make sure you complete online checkin in at least three days in advance and you will have until 60 minutes before the ship is scheduled to depart to board, so that buys you some time. Verify this time in your Guest Ticket Booklet. Depending on traffic, it could certainly take you over an hour to reach the port. Just be as prepared as possible and if there's nothing more you can do about it, stop worrying. Good luck!

Thank you for all of your replies. It's good to hear that the trip is only an hour from the airport to the port. I don't know why it takes the bus 1 and 3/4 hours to 2 hours, per the cruiseline rep. I feel a little better now that I know that I can get a cab at the last minute, by 4 or even 4:30 we will still be able to get to the ship before it leaves . I booked the cruise transfer just to be sure that they were tracking our flight and knew we were on the plane and coming. I don't know if they wait any longer knowing that a plane is on the way or not. At any rate there is nothing I can do about it now except get stressed out.

CHECK the boarding time for the cruise line. A lot of them now require you to be onboard 1.5-2 hours pre departure. I thought that was only a USA departure requirement, but one of my employees got hung up in London (don't ask) and had to fight like hell to be allowed to board the Jewel of the Seas in Harwich 1 hour 7 minutes before the ship sailed. This just happened about two weeks ago.

So when you get to Rome, IF the bus isn't there, don't even look around for it much. Just grab a cab and go.

Why on earth did you do this?

A holiday is supposed to relieve the stresses of normal life, not add to them.

I can only reiterate:-

1) Do your research before you book........not after, that is a bit pointless

2) Go a day early

Archived