Best way from Civitavecchia to Rome for the day?

We're scheduled to dock at Civitavecchia at 7am and leave at 8pm. A group of 9 of us (7 adults, 2 kids) are traveling together. What's the best reliable way to get into Rome and back economically? We're trying to hook up with a tour in Rome that departs at 8:45. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

I should add that I've found a transfer from Italian Services Rome that will cost us 24E each (kids half price) each way. They say they're cleared for gangway pickup/drop off, and can pick us up/drop us anywhere in Roma we want. Has anyone used this service?

If you arrive at the dock at 7:00 AM you will not make a tour at 8:45 AM. The ship needs to be cleared before you can get off. If you take the train you need to get from the pier to the front gate on the shuttles and then you need to get to the train station which is about a 15 mnute walk. You could take a taxi.

Of course you could arrange for private transportation. It will take about 90 minutes to get into Rome once you get into the vehicle.

Keith

The train is cheap and reliable; however, if you have to make an 8:45 tour I don't think it will get you there in time.

If you have a transfer lined up at a reasonable price then go for it. That's going to be your best bet for making an early tour.

HI!! Well, I did this trip the last year and what I did was that I took the free shuttle that gets you out of the port and then turn to my right and walked like 15 mins. to the train station. Paid 9 euros (rountrip) and stop at the Plaza St. Petro (I think, you can search the internet for the stops). Stepped out and from the train station we could saw the Cupula and just follow it. (we arrived at 8:50am) went to the Vatican City, climb up the cupula and went to the Sistine Chappel (14 euros). then, we took a bus (1euro) that left us in front of the Spanish Steps, continued to the Trevi fountain then to the Panthenon, Plaza Navona, Plaza Venecia and went to the Coliseum (14 e). In front of the Coliseum is the train Station. We took the 4:30 train back. 9+14+14+1= 38 euros in total ( ah! with 1.5 euros of a Gellatto near the Panthenon, very cheap) And the ones that took the excursion with the cruise didn't do the all the things that we did and paid like $250. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your cruise!

I agree with Yadira, the train service from the port is great, much faster than road. We did this trip last week and it worked like a charm!

My only issue was that the tour people on the ship (Ruby Princess) consistently gave bad information and told us all that it was a 2 mile walk to the station! DON'T BELIEVE THEM! If you take the shuttle to the port gate, turn right, and walk along the street with the ocean on your right, the station is only 10 minutes away!

Trains leave every 15- 20 minutes.

Have fun!

We're trying to hook up with a tour in Rome that departs at 8:45. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

We arrived in Rome at 7 and were off the ship by 7:15, so if you can get to your destination in 90 minutes, you should be fine (I think it will be impossible by train, but perhaps by private transfer.)

In addition to checking with the transfer company on whether they think it's possible, I would ask the tour company how long they'll wait for you should you be held up in traffic on the way. I think I would be a bit reluctant to pay in advance for a tour for 9 people with that narrow of a time frame to get from Civitavecchia to Rome, but if you do decide to try for it, I would also ask the tour company what their 2nd stop is in case you need to catch up with the tour, and also for a contact phone # in case you need to call them that morning.

Just for interest, you can check driving times/distances on Google maps ... but traffic congestion at that time of the morning will likely add to the length of time needed.

I think making an 8:45 tour is, at best, a long shot. Even if you caught the 7:33 am train you would not get into Rome Termini until 8:50. Most of the time, the earliest train for those that rush is the 7:59 which does not get into Rome until 9:30. Keep in mind that once your ship is cleared (this usually takes about 15 min after they get tied-up you than need to wait for the shuttle bus which can take a few minutes. Than its about 10 min to the port entrance and another 10 min (if you walk real fast) to the train station after which you still have to buy tickets. As to using a vehicle, assuming you are on your way by 7:30 you might make an 8:45 tour...but since its morning rush hour even that is questionable.

Hank

HI!! Well, I did this trip the last year and what I did was that I took the free shuttle that gets you out of the port and then turn to my right and walked like 15 mins. to the train station. Paid 9 euros (rountrip) and stop at the Plaza St. Petro (I think, you can search the internet for the stops). Stepped out and from the train station we could saw the Cupula and just follow it. (we arrived at 8:50am) went to the Vatican City, climb up the cupula and went to the Sistine Chappel (14 euros). then, we took a bus (1euro) that left us in front of the Spanish Steps, continued to the Trevi fountain then to the Panthenon, Plaza Navona, Plaza Venecia and went to the Coliseum (14 e). In front of the Coliseum is the train Station. We took the 4:30 train back. 9+14+14+1= 38 euros in total ( ah! with 1.5 euros of a Gellatto near the Panthenon, very cheap) And the ones that took the excursion with the cruise didn't do the all the things that we did and paid like $250. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your cruise!

That is really awesome! We stayed in Rome for a few days last year and spent a few days seeing everything. How much time did your sightseeing tour take?

Just to add to the chorus - you won't make an 8:45 am tour whether you use the train or private transfer. The ship needs to clear, then you need to get off. Rush hour could delay the taxi into Rome. Is it possible to book a later tour? What day of the week is your ship docking?

You could get lucky with using a private transfer and having him/her speed all the way into Rome. I made a 9:30 Scavi tour using a private transfer (we were also debarking) but we left the port at 7:30. Again, traffic could be bad.

Train is fun and cheap - if you can book a later time for your tour you could be in luck. Call the tour company, with a group of 9, they might be willing to make a special deal with you.

In front of the Coliseum is the train Station. We took the 4:30 train back. 9+14+14+1= 38 euros in total ( ah! with 1.5 euros of a Gellatto near the Panthenon, very cheap) And the ones that took the excursion with the cruise didn't do the all the things that we did and paid like $250. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Hi Yadira! I'm curious as to your comment about a train station in front of the Colisseum...I only remembered from a previous trip a Metro station called Coliseo, but not a train station. I'm cruising to Civitavecchia again and planning a day trip on my own to Rome much like the one you did which I think is a great itinerary! Could you clarify the train station bit and tell me the name of the station?

Thank you!

Archived