Theme Nights on HAL

1partyjan

Hi,

I am cruising on HAL for the first time, although have cruised many times before.

I was wondering if they have theme nights i.e Tropical, Western, etc.

Do they have a Black and White theme on one of the formal nights?

Thanks

J

When I went on my first cruises with my family (late 90s) they had Dutch night in the dining room. Everyone had Dutch hats to wear...I'm not sure if they do that anymore. :)

Other than that, the midnight buffets would sometimes have a theme (Italian, Indonesian, etc...) but nothing more than that.

Like I said, it's been a while since I've cruised...can't wait to get back to sea with my husband!

CyP

On most itineraries and ships -- there isn't really a theme night.

Late in the evening there may be a 50's dance in one of the lounges depending on the ship. Used to have sock hops -- haven't seen those in years or the country/western dances.

Tropical -- HAL is now doing the Lido Pool Party at 9 PM on most ships -- lots of desserts and dancing to the HAL Cats.

Black and White -- if you are referring to a Black and White Ball -- they are sometimes held on the long cruises -- usually 15 days or longer. Now, I do have to tell that it is just a dance late in the evening with the captain and offices. Depending on the ship it will be either in the show lounge or the Crow's Nest and most people dress in black and white. It is on a formal night. Most ships do cover the chairs in the dining room with white chair covers.

When I went on my first cruises with my family (late 90s) they had Dutch night in the dining room. Everyone had Dutch hats to wear...I'm not sure if they do that anymore. :)

Other than that, the midnight buffets would sometimes have a theme (Italian, Indonesian, etc...) but nothing more than that.

Like I said, it's been a while since I've cruised...can't wait to get back to sea with my husband!

CyP

HAL hasn't had Dutch night in the dining room in several years -- gone are the Dutch hats and the Dutch cheese served in the lounges during cocktail time.

When I went on my first cruises with my family (late 90s) they had Dutch night in the dining room. Everyone had Dutch hats to wear...I'm not sure if they do that anymore.

News Flash! Contrary to popular belief, Dutch Night was alive & well on the Amsterdam this past March/April in South America. I have pics to prove just how silly we all looked wearing our Dutch hats! :):)

But we didn’t have a single Officer’s Ball, even though we were on a 38-nite Collectors Voyage. There were many themed dance nites in the Crow Nest, but no formal balls. We were very surprised not to have a Black & White Ball since we had them on shorter cruises on other HAL ships. Obviously it is yet another thing that varies from ship to ship.

Black and White -- if you are referring to a Black and White Ball -- they are sometimes held on the long cruises -- usually 15 days or longer. Now, I do have to tell that it is just a dance late in the evening with the captain and offices. Depending on the ship it will be either in the show lounge or the Crow's Nest and most people dress in black and white. It is on a formal night. Most ships do cover the chairs in the dining room with white chair covers.

When we were on a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on the Rotterdam years ago, there was a black and white ball in the Crow's Nest with the captain and officers. However, they may have cut back now and don't have the ball as often. I remember it as being very fun and lively with lots of decorations, music and dancing.

The only ones that we can remember are the SOCK HOP and WESTERN Nights in the Crows Nest or the other nightclub (drawing a blank on the name)

Ruth & Jim

You mean the "Northern Lights"

Archived