Singles?? How do they really meet up?

mringenoldus

My friend (50's lady) and I are traveling to Alaska in a few weeks. She is newly single and I want her to have a really good time. I think I have seen the "single mingle" type parties in the Patters - but who actually goes to those? Younger people??

Does anyone have tips or advice on the best way to meet other seasoned, independent travelers? I would hate for her to become tired of hanging with me after 12 days - and if there was a nice friendly single (a gentleman would be great :), I would like for her to have the opportunity to meet new people.

Anyone have luck with this??? Thanks!!

Colo Cruiser

Do middle age group people often attend the Meet and Mingle??

I'm sure it's cruiseline dependent but on Princess I've always found that it's generally middle-aged women.

As a solo traveler I go to these as they are a nice way of meeting people, the free champagne doesn't hurt either. For me Ships always seem a little friendlier when I see familiar faces and can share a quick howdy or a wave.

Corinda 95days to the Sapphire

The single meeting is usually scheduled the day after boarding.

I always book Traditional Dining that's another way to meet other singles on your cruise. Request the maitr'd that you prefer to be seated with some single travellers.

Have chatted with some wonderful couples and a few singles up in the Horizon Court.:)

Been a widow for many years and I go on board with a positive friendly attitude knowing that there will be few singles.

Trivia each morning and afternoon were you join a table of six is great.:)

I must be difficult for a newly single person to adjust to that life.

Was approached by a waiter in Horizon Court end of last November asking me

why was I travelling alone.........Had only been on the ship a couple of days.

Can tell you none of them approached after I quietly told one of his female waiters that I would report next time.

It is up to an individuals preferences though.

Do hope I have been of some help to you..........Kruisey:D

Can tell you none of them approached after I quietly told one of his female waiters that I would report next time.

Wow. I have been approached by waiters also asking why I traveling alone. Never have they asked more than that, just some follow up questions. Never personal questions. I figure they are starting a conversation and nothing else. Why would you feel the need to say you would report them?

Colo Cruiser

Do middle age group people often attend the Meet and Mingle??

My 21 year old son has attended a couple of them on cruises and he said there was a wide range of ages there, actually most were older then him.

It all depends on the cruise some may have a big turnout some may have very few if any. :)

I always book Traditional Dining that's another way to meet other singles on your cruise. Request the maitr'd that you prefer to be seated with some single travellers.

Have chatted with some wonderful couples and a few singles up in the Horizon Court.:)

Been a widow for many years and I go on board with a positive friendly attitude knowing that there will be few singles.

I dont understand why you would report them????

Wow. I have been approached by waiters also asking why I traveling alone. Never have they asked more than that, just some follow up questions. Never personal questions. I figure they are starting a conversation and nothing else. Why would you feel the need to say you would report them?

That's a rude threat. Why would you report them? Are you offended by the question?

I would suggest joining your roll call and talking to your fellow passengers. It really is a great way to meet people! Some you naturally gravitate to and others you don't but you do get an opportunity to meet people on your cruise during the formal or informal meet and greets! I have met so many great folks while cruising and they will remain life long friends!

As to the crew members asking why your are traveling solo, I think it just a general question and a way to get to know you... I think assuming anything beyond that is a bit... well assuming! :( I've had many crew members ask why I am not married and it never bothered me a bit... it just is what it is! Now if they were stalking me, that would be another matter.

To the OP, just go with your friend and if she meets someone special, she does, if she doesn't I'm guessing she will still have the trip of a lifetime!

Happy cruising!

VB1

Huh??

He was sounding me out.

How did he know I was travelling alone? Husbands and wives don't always travel in one anothers pockets.

On a ship with 2600 passengers how did that waiter know I was travelling

alone? I had only been on the ship 2 days .

I too have been asked by crew about my being alone. I found it was just a passing conversation. After learning I was solo/widow some crew members would go out of their way to stop and chat with me by the pool. Can't imagine why you'd report him.:rolleyes:

I was solo on my last cruise and several staff members asked me why I was travelling alone and it quickly became apparent to me that it was a cultural difference. This was very strange to them (both male and female) because it would not be considered appropriate in their culture.

They were just curious and perhaps a little perplexed by it. They went out of their way to look out for me and were very attentive (not in any way that was creepy :D). It was very nice. :)

I was solo on my last cruise and several staff members asked me why I was travelling alone and it quickly became apparent to me that it was a cultural difference. This was very strange to them (both male and female) because it would not be considered appropriate in their culture.

They were just curious and perhaps a little perplexed by it. They went out of their way to look out for me and were very attentive (not in any way that was creepy :D). It was very nice. :)

Once bitten twice shy for me.

Once bitten twice shy for me.

but if something happened to you that was less than what you wanted it be, you should have reported it while on the specific ship.

As another posted stated, there is a cultural difference, and to see a woman traveling alone is quite "dramatic."

I venture out quite frequently on my own aboard ship while cruising with my mother and have traveled solo, and none of the crew's questions have ever bothered me. You must remember that there is frequently a language barrier there as well, and their good intentions may be misconstrued.

I am not defending the crew over your own personal experience, but I also don't think something should be put out there to instill solo woman cruisers to think of doing otherwise. If you want to cruise, have the money, and no one to go with.... what do you do?

And to the OP--I hope your friend has a great time!

VB1

He was sounding me out.

How did he know I was travelling alone? Husbands and wives don't always travel in one anothers pockets.

On a ship with 2600 passengers how did that waiter know I was travelling

alone? I had only been on the ship 2 days .

Geez, chill, honey, every male in the world doesn't have nefarious intentions; they're not all trying to hit on women 24/7. I really feel sorry for guys when they're confronted by this kind of nonsense; that poor waiter probably lived in fear for the rest of cruise, convinced he was about to lose his job for one poorly-phrased, no doubt ESL-muddled question to the wrong person.

Geez, chill, honey, every male in the world doesn't have nefarious intentions; they're not all trying to hit on women 24/7. I really feel sorry for guys when they're confronted by this kind of nonsense; that poor waiter probably lived in fear for the rest of cruise, convinced he was about to lose his job for one poorly-phrased, no doubt ESL-muddled question to the wrong person.

+1000

I think Kruisy made it impossible for those nice waiters to fall asleep that night, fearing that they would get fired and sent back home.

It was a simple question. I'm not sure why it matters how she thinks they came to the assumption that she was alone. Whatever the reason was, they were just plain curious, or they wanted to strike up a conversation.

I can't believe someone can be so sensitive!

How rude! :mad:

Better safe than sorry

Thanks for the tips!! Since I typically cruise with my husband, I have never thought about who may go to the singles patry. We have joined our roll call - but it is surprisingly small this time.

I just think it would be awfully nice if she could have someone to chat with and maybe have a cocktail with in the evenings.

(Not that I'm not a lot of fun - but after 12 nights of sharing the cabin/room with me - even my husband would need a break :)

I think she should check out the meet and mingle. I'd even be willling to tag along for moral support.

I agree that trivia is a nice, unintimidating way to join others....and it's a lot of fun!

18 more days!! Thanks!

I think she should check out the meet and mingle. I'd even be willling to tag along for moral support.

I agree that trivia is a nice, unintimidating way to join others....and it's a lot of fun!

18 more days!! Thanks!

She is lucky to have a friend like you! :)

TracieABD

That's a really nice thing to say...thanks!!

My friend is a great person. We've taught together for over 20 years. But she's one of those people who hasn't had the lucky breaks in life.

She really had to dig deep to afford her "dream trip" to Alaska, so I'd like it to be as memorable as possible.

Thanks for the helpful responses!!

A number of years ago I travelled with my then 22 year old daughter. She wanted to go to the singles event, so I went in with her. Most of the people there were women, of all ages. Men were far and few between. But that doesn't mean that there aren't any single people around. I think doing anytime dining, and asking to be seated in a large table with single people is a great non-threatening way to meet them.

Since when is taking care of your personal safety a character flaw??? As a reasonably experienced solo traveler I personally think that Kruisey did the right thing. I know what she means - I've had the question asked of me in a way that made me uncomfortable and I've also had the question asked in ways that made me feel empowered. I'm not 12 - I can tell the difference between a friendly conversation and being scoped out.

Kruisey is now my hero - because I was too cowardly to say anything (well I was in then) I chose to just avoid the waiter who made me feel uncomfortable. Of course now that I'm in my 50's .... it's getting kind of hard for me NOT to say something :)

Look, traveling on my own - I know that no one knows when I come and go, no one will worry if I don't show up and no one will protecting me. I'm the only protection I have and I have to be serious about it. 90% of the time on cruises I feel safe and comfortable - that's why I prefer to cruise. But nothing is perfect and a person has to be sensible.

Archived