Considering a New England Cruise

GAMOM4

Even though we don't go on this years cruise until next week - I'm looking ahead at next year. I was looking at the cruises that go up to the North East - I know that New York looks like the closest port to us - I'm in Georgia. We would have to go in July - so I know that isn't an ideal time to see New England - the fall would be better but that isn't an option for us. We are within driving distance of all the ports in Florida - would adding the cost of plane tickets for four people increase the amount by a whole lot during July? We would have to fly out of Atlanta and I guess arrange transportation from the airport. I have never even been on a plane before - and it may be more of a hassle than it would be worth (especially since I have never been on a plane or been to New York - two new experiences at once - and not enough time to enjoy either!)

That's alot of questions isn't it? I should probably just stick with the Florida ports - but thought I would ask your opinion.

Even though we don't go on this years cruise until next week - I'm looking ahead at next year. I was looking at the cruises that go up to the North East - I know that New York looks like the closest port to us - I'm in Georgia. We would have to go in July - so I know that isn't an ideal time to see New England - the fall would be better but that isn't an option for us. We are within driving distance of all the ports in Florida - would adding the cost of plane tickets for four people increase the amount by a whole lot during July? We would have to fly out of Atlanta and I guess arrange transportation from the airport. I have never even been on a plane before - and it may be more of a hassle than it would be worth (especially since I have never been on a plane or been to New York - two new experiences at once - and not enough time to enjoy either!)

That's alot of questions isn't it? I should probably just stick with the Florida ports - but thought I would ask your opinion.

The trip to Canada is lovely....very different from Carribean cruise.....but being from NY, my thoughts are....come here....stay and visit for a few days then go on the cruise........

We would have to go in July - so I know that isn't an ideal time to see New England - the fall would be better but that isn't an option for us. .

I live in Maine and think July (and August) is the BEST time to go to New England!!

Yes, fall has the foliage.

Big deal.

It's frickin COLD then...who wants to be on a cruise ship wearing fleece????

Atlanta is a hub for Delta, with many, many flights to New York. Fly into LaGuardia, explore the city for a few days and then enjoy your visit to Canada. Halifax is a neat port!

What he said!

Or, if you're nervous about coming to our big, bad city, you can fly to Boston and see Boston for a few days...another GREAT city.

I agree will all of the above posts. Canada deffinately is a must do as it is totally differnt from the carribean. I'd say for temperatures july or august would be the ideal months. We were just there in the beginning of june and it was about 70ish and was told it was unseasonably warm! I'd like to do the foilage sailings but I cringe at the thought of packing minter type clothes and not going to alaska!

I also agree with coming in and staying a day or 2 beforehand and exploring the city. If you don't want to be directly in the city newark or boston are good places to stay. Newark is an easy commute to NYC (what we did) and boston is another beautiful town to explore. I'f you decide to go out of NYC to canada post for help on the east coast departures board. 138east and Meg are huge assets over there and can help you with just about anything related to the area.

New England in July was great. We had beautiful comfortable weather in port but extremely heavy thick fog on 1 sea day (which I might add was kinda neat). I've cruised out of NYC twice, once coming in on day of and once 2 days early. If you do come in early try to stay in the Times Square area. So much going on and so much fun.

Why just stick with ports in Florida? Especially when the only time you could go is July? Canada and or New England is my favorite place to go. We have been there more times than any other destination.

You should come to NYC and go to New England/Canada. In July I hear it is a bit chilly in Canada and there is a lot of fog. It gets warmer in the fall.

If you book a cruise and fly into the town where the port is do you usually make your flying arrangements through Carnival (is it just as cheap to do it that way?) like I said I have no idea since I have never did it before. I guess once you look at the cost of the cruise, plus the cost of the flight, and transportation to and from a hotel and then to the port and back - no wonder people have to pay such a large amount to fly into Florida - I had never really thought about it that way. But all of your suggestions have really made me want to take a New England Cruise - and I don't think we could drive to New York in less than a day (not sure about that) and if we could we would be exhausted!

I've never booked thru Carnival but from what I've seem the price is much more. I booked the flights myself watching prices daily. I fly into JFK (Jetblue) and transportation (taxi) to the port or hotel is a set fee ($45 + tip). They were very clean and comfortable. Hotels were a bit pricey. You can look at the East Coast departures board for other options and ideas.

If you choose to cruise to New England expect a nice relaxing experience. The people in Canada were very nice and appreciative. I also would recommend going to NYC a couple of days early and take in the sites. We bought the circle line package and rode the double decker buses all around the city and got to see alot of it and if something struck your fancy you get off the bus and explore it. Also the BEST way to get around NYC is taxi. Do not buy the transfers from Carnival we ended up sitting at the pier for 2 hours when returned from our cruise to get to the airport as we had to wait for the bus to fill it would of been more convenient to just take a taxi to the airport. We went June of 2007

I agree will all of the above posts. Canada deffinately is a must do as it is totally differnt from the carribean. I'd say for temperatures july or august would be the ideal months. We were just there in the beginning of june and it was about 70ish and was told it was unseasonably warm! I'd like to do the foilage sailings but I cringe at the thought of packing minter type clothes and not going to alaska!

I also agree with coming in and staying a day or 2 beforehand and exploring the city. If you don't want to be directly in the city newark or boston are good places to stay. Newark is an easy commute to NYC (what we did) and boston is another beautiful town to explore. I'f you decide to go out of NYC to canada post for help on the east coast departures board. 138east and Meg are huge assets over there and can help you with just about anything related to the area.

I'll be flying into Newark from AZ. Labor Day w/e-taking the Triumph to Canada on Labor Day:cool:-actually looking forward to some cool weather, after a loooong, hottttttt AZ. summer! Any recommendations (particular shuttles?) for getting from Newark to Holiday Inn in Manhattan? Thanks.

I'll be flying into Newark from AZ. Labor Day w/e-taking the Triumph to Canada on Labor Day:cool:-actually looking forward to some cool weather, after a loooong, hottttttt AZ. summer! Any recommendations (particular shuttles?) for getting from Newark to Holiday Inn in Manhattan? Thanks.

We stayed at a holiday inn too! but ours was the one in newark airport. There was a shuttle from the hotel that came adn took us to the hotel. We met them at P4. I found the hotel very nice and VERY reasonably priced. We paid 55ish for the night after taxes for DW and I. Then we explored by going back to the airport, taking the airport train to the train departure station (free to there) and then the NJ transit into the city for the day going to 34th street Penn station (15pp each way).

Which holiday inn are you at in manhattan? Do they offer a shuttle from the airport? I just googled and found a few different holiday inn's in manhattan. Depending on # of people travelling would depend on the route I'd take. As long as the bags are light I'd say the NJ train to 34th street penn-station would be ideal for 2 people. If you have a large group you might want to look up a car service. If you post this on the east coast boards you'll get multiple options to choose from. The posters over there are VERY helpful with any questions. Here's a link to the board incase you aren't sure where it is East coast board

We stayed at a holiday inn too! but ours was the one in newark airport. There was a shuttle from the hotel that came adn took us to the hotel. We met them at P4. I found the hotel very nice and VERY reasonably priced. We paid 55ish for the night after taxes for DW and I. Then we explored by going back to the airport, taking the airport train to the train departure station (free to there) and then the NJ transit into the city for the day going to 34th street Penn station (15pp each way).

Which holiday inn are you at in manhattan? Do they offer a shuttle from the airport? I just googled and found a few different holiday inn's in manhattan. Depending on # of people travelling would depend on the route I'd take. As long as the bags are light I'd say the NJ train to 34th street penn-station would be ideal for 2 people. If you have a large group you might want to look up a car service. If you post this on the east coast boards you'll get multiple options to choose from. The posters over there are VERY helpful with any questions. Here's a link to the board incase you aren't sure where it is East coast board

The Holiday Inn is Mid-town on West 57th St. My 86 y/o mom is flying in from State College, PA.(lives in Huntingdon-where in PA. do you, and your wife live?) You gave some good ideas, I'll check into them.Thanks.

The Holiday Inn is Mid-town on West 57th St. My 86 y/o mom is flying in from State College, PA.(lives in Huntingdon-where in PA. do you, and your wife live?) You gave some good ideas, I'll check into them.Thanks.

We are in Williamsport so not far from your mom! We flew from williamsport for convienence but was almost as much for 2 rt tickets as a 1/2 pax rate for the cruise! Being on 57th street it'll be convienent for travel to the port the morning of the cruise. It's only 2 1/2 long blocks but given the age/mobility of your mom with luggage in tow I'd say a cab is in order. I don't know whatthe fare would be but couldn't imagine it being much. I looked into the hotel but don't see any free shuttles available from them. They did give the following info for transportation to/from the airport...

LaGuardia (LGA)

• Distance: 8 MI / 12.87 KM West to Hotel
  • Shuttle Charge (one way): $19.00 (USD)
  • Taxi Charge (one way): $30.00 (USD)
  • Time by taxi: 30 minutes

Newark (EWR)

• Distance: 12 MI / 19.31 KM East to Hotel
  • Shuttle Charge (one way): $24.00 (USD)
  • Taxi Charge (one way): $70.00 (USD)
  • Time by taxi: 45 minutes

Kennedy (JFK)

• Distance: 15 MI / 24.14 KM North West to Hotel
  • Taxi Charge (one way): $55.00 (USD)
  • Time by taxi: 60 minutes

http://www.holidayinn.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/NYCUP/transportation?start=1

I'm assuming the "shuttle charge" is something you could set up with them. If you go this route it'll more then likely be a van or a big bus as that's what they had at the newark holiday inn.

Is your mom also flying into the EWR airport? I can't assume that she's not able to handle her bags as I have seen women/men of that age with more energy than a teenager! Personally I'd look into the hotel shuttle for convienence as far as room in the vehicle and it being a van and not a car.

Two years ago, we did a last moment NE cruise on Princess. I went with few expectations and it turned out to be a wonderful cruise. I had never been to Maine and I loved Bar Harbor and Acadia Natl Park.

Thanks Brian for all your help!We are in Williamsport so not far from your mom!You have some nice countryside in your part of the state. We flew from williamsport for convienence but was almost as much for 2 rt tickets as a 1/2 pax rate for the cruise! Being on 57th street it'll be convienent for travel to the port the morning of the cruise. It's only 2 1/2 long blocks but given the age/mobility of your mom with luggage in tow I'd say a cab is in order. I don't know whatthe fare would be but couldn't imagine it being much. I looked into the hotel but don't see any free shuttles available from them. They did give the following info for transportation to/from the airport...I hadn't really considered staying in Newark, but if I did, it would sure save some mula-I checked last nite and they still have rooms available for $51/nite, which is much cheaper than the $143 (plus tax) for the one in Manhattan. How was your experience with the Newark H.I.? I read some of the reviews on Tripadvisor, and several were less than favorable:eek:

LaGuardia (LGA)

• Distance: 8 MI / 12.87 KM West to Hotel
  • Shuttle Charge (one way): $19.00 (USD)
  • Taxi Charge (one way): $30.00 (USD)
  • Time by taxi: 30 minutes

Newark (EWR)

• Distance: 12 MI / 19.31 KM East to Hotel
  • Taxi Charge (one way): $70.00 (USD)
  • Time by taxi: 45 minutes

Kennedy (JFK)

• Distance: 15 MI / 24.14 KM North West to Hotel
  • Taxi Charge (one way): $55.00 (USD)
  • Time by taxi: 60 minutes

http://www.holidayinn.com/h/d/hi/1/e...tation?start=1

I'm assuming the "shuttle charge" is something you could set up with them. If you go this route it'll more then likely be a van or a big bus as that's what they had at the newark holiday inn.

Is your mom also flying into the EWR airport? I can't assume that she's not able to handle her bags as I have seen women/men of that age with more energy than a teenager! Personally I'd look into the hotel shuttle for convienence as far as room in the vehicle and it being a van and not a car. Yes, dear old mom:D is flying into EWR-and, yes, she can handle her own bags (old hard-sided American Tourister-she won't change to soft-sided with wheels!) And,yes,she has more energy than a teenager-she walked up to the very steep hill to the top of the fort in St.Kitts last Dec.-I don't think she even stopped for a break-she had to wait for me !:D Steve

BRIAN

I know where that Holiday Inn is. You are just a few blocks away from the piers. Get the hotel to call a taxi for you to the pier. Have a good time. Halifax is a really nice place where you could walk around.

Archived