Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Hi, do you know if Stockholm has Segway Tours and if so do you have their website!

Thanks,

Som

http://www.uppner.se/Segwaytours-.aspx

We didn't do this one, but if you are going to Copenhagen, we can recommend Seamus at http://www.segwaytourscph.dk/ and their 'office' is right beside the ship at Langeline pier.

Simon

http://www.uppner.se/Segwaytours-.aspx

We didn't do this one, but if you are going to Copenhagen, we can recommend Seamus at http://www.segwaytourscph.dk/ and their 'office' is right beside the ship at Langeline pier.

Simon

Thank you Simon; may do both; have booked one in Paris when we stop on the way to our cruise.

Som

Hello stockholm resident,

thank you for helping all of us.

please answer a few questions.we want to know if a bus service is available from airport to our hotel in SCANDIC HOTEL STAR SOLLENTUNA, like a airport coach and how much it would cost , we have 3 pcs. luggage. or can we get a drop closer to the hotel by a reg bus then take a taxi, or is it better to take the express train to the city and then a taxi to the hotel. can we buy the tickets on arrival. also the best way to get from the hotel a couple days later to the ship port. we r on the regent voyager. the large shopping center near the hotel, is it really good and are there restaurants near the hotel in the evening and what time does the shopping mall close.

thank you so much...no questions about tours as we will take those with the ship.

thank you and God bless;)

email: dadkv@hotmail.com

Taxi Stockholm takes credit cards and charges $85. from the airport to downtown. You can google Taxi Stockholm to find out the info and it is one of the most reputable taxis in Stocklom.....have to be careful about which taxi you take!

Taxi Stockholm takes credit cards and charges $85. from the airport to downtown. You can google Taxi Stockholm to find out the info and it is one of the most reputable taxis in Stocklom.....have to be careful about which taxi you take!

Hi,

I agree that Taxi Stockholm is the most reputable taxi company in town, but I wonder where you got the figure of $85.00? I just double checked their website and it is a fixed rate of SEK 495, which as of today equates to 66.61 in USD (up to 4 people and luggage). They do charge more for a larger vehicle, perhaps that was the case?

For anyone interested, check out my post regarding taxis in Stockholm at:

http://www.thestockholmer.com/2010/04/08/stockholm-taxi-tutorial/

Al

Just got back from our Scandinavia cruise. The info I got on this post from Al and Ultima, especially about the taxis and what to see in Stockholm, was so helpful. We ended up taking taxis everywhere because of our limited amount of time there, and I was amazed at how many of the "black" taxis were around. They didn't like it too much when we bypassed them for one of the reputable companies!!

And everyone out there, listen to Al regarding the Ice Bar!! It is indeed just a tourist trap and not worth your time or money!! Fun for about the first...30 seconds. After that, you pretty much just want to get the heck out of there. The pictures we took weren't even that great, thanks to the huge parkas, hoods, and gloves you have to wear!!:p

This thread is a great source of information, and we sure appreciated all the help.

Tami

Just got back from our Scandinavia cruise. The info I got on this post from Al and Ultima, especially about the taxis and what to see in Stockholm, was so helpful. We ended up taking taxis everywhere because of our limited amount of time there, and I was amazed at how many of the "black" taxis were around. They didn't like it too much when we bypassed them for one of the reputable companies!!

And everyone out there, listen to Al regarding the Ice Bar!! It is indeed just a tourist trap and not worth your time or money!! Fun for about the first...30 seconds. After that, you pretty much just want to get the heck out of there. The pictures we took weren't even that great, thanks to the huge parkas, hoods, and gloves you have to wear!!:p

This thread is a great source of information, and we sure appreciated all the help.

Tami

Tami,

Just want to thank you very much for coming back and reporting on your experiences. So, glad the taxi tutorial proved helpful.

Regarding the Ice Bar, I thank you for coming back with an honest opinion on that. I have been accused of being too hard on the Ice Bar, and frankly, hardly anyone ever comes back and says how wonderful it was or how "totally worth the money" the experience was for them.

I'm glad you had a good time and thanks again for coming back.

Al

Just back from the 12 day Jewel of the Seas cruise. Warning! This ship seems to change piers quite often. Instead of Frihamnen it docked at the pier near the center of town. I prepared for Frihamnen and that was a mistake. Actually this ship docked at many different piers from the cruise one week before. So prepare for Stockholm with both piers in mind, just in case.

Luckily, I remembered that the Hop on Hop off boat goes directly to the closer pier. Thanks to the help on this thread.

If you are doing a baltic cruise soon, prepare for different piers in each port!

Good Luck......

Al, North-bound and other Swedish residents,

We are planning to be in Stockholm for 4-5 days. Could you suggest an itinerary? We would love to do some sightseeing outside the city, for example to Drottningholm Palace. Other day trips? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

marazul

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Stockholm July 5th 2011 for 3 nights. I have started looking into hotels and the majority seem to show no availability for our days. Is there something going on then (like a convention), am I too early, or do the hotels fill up this far in advance?

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Stockholm July 5th 2011 for 3 nights. I have started looking into hotels and the majority seem to show no availability for our days. Is there something going on then (like a convention), am I too early, or do the hotels fill up this far in advance?

There could be a major convention going on. For Stockholm, it does not have a huge number of large hotels. Have you checked:

http://www.tripadvisor.com

http://www.hotels.com

You might check their tourism office at

http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/

or

http://www.visit-stockholm.com

They note the town has 170 hotels with 22,000 rooms.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I think this must have been a temporary problem. Or if you only looked at a few weelknown hotels they could have preliminary bookings for some event or other. By now there are a lot of hotels that have rooms available.

Just back from the 12 day Jewel of the Seas cruise. Warning! This ship seems to change piers quite often. Instead of Frihamnen it docked at the pier near the center of town. I prepared for Frihamnen and that was a mistake. Actually this ship docked at many different piers from the cruise one week before. So prepare for Stockholm with both piers in mind, just in case.

Luckily, I remembered that the Hop on Hop off boat goes directly to the closer pier. Thanks to the help on this thread.

If you are doing a baltic cruise soon, prepare for different piers in each port!

Good Luck......

Can someone tell me what pier RC's Jewel might use beside Frihamnen. This scenario happened to me on another cruise. I would like to be prepared for wherever RC drops us in Stockholm.

Thanks,

Sheal

P.S. Al, I printed out the Taxi tutorial just in case. I already had the reputable companies in my notes but this will be perfect for my "lets just grab this taxi" father-in-law. "One picture is worth more..."

Can someone tell me what pier RC's Jewel might use beside Frihamnen. This scenario happened to me on another cruise. I would like to be prepared for wherever RC drops us in Stockholm.

Thanks,

Sheal

P.S. Al, I printed out the Taxi tutorial just in case. I already had the reputable companies in my notes but this will be perfect for my "lets just grab this taxi" father-in-law. "One picture is worth more..."

:)

Glad you could use the Taxi Tutorial. As far as the Jewel I have seen her at Stadsgården 167 a few times, that is the pier in sight of the old town.

Enjoy,

Al

I can definitely recommend the walk from the bus stop at Tjärhovsplan down to the ship at Stadsgården.

From the bus stop cross the street and walk a few steps back towards the sea. There is a small staircase up to Fjällgatan, one of the most charming streets we have in Stockholm. On one side there are very nice old houses and on the other a great view over Stockholm. At the end of Fjällgatan turn right down Erstagatan to Folkungagatan, where you turn left. This street will take you down towards the ship.

Here is a map of the recommended walk down: http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000486f302393ee8c6554&t=h&z=15

Is the staircase you refer to the one that is across the street from the bus stop with the bikes parked below, near Jimmy's steakhouse? I'm having a tough time "seeing" the staircase in the map.

If my in-laws are not up to walking and we decide to get the bus at "Londonviadukten", could you tell me how often the buses run to Slussen and how many minutes to Slussen. Where do we have to stand? I see the shelter and bikes lined up, will the red and white bus stop signs be easy to spot?

BTW, your detailed maps are great. I love "walking" the routes.

Sheal

Edited by Sheal

Is the staircase you refer to the one that is across the street from the bus stop with the bikes parked below, near Jimmy's steakhouse? I'm having a tough time "seeing" the staircase in the map.

If my in-laws are not up to walking and we decide to get the bus at "Londonviadukten", could you tell me how often the buses run to Slussen and how many minutes to Slussen. Where do we have to stand? I see the shelter and bikes lined up, will the red and white bus stop signs be easy to spot?

The little staircase is hidden under the trees, where the map says "Hermans Vegetariska Restaurang".

I think the bus stop at Londonviadukten is close to where Folkungagatan meets Stadsgården Quay. There are many buses that pass there on their way to Slussen, so the wait can not be many minutes. And to get to Slussen can also not be more than 2-3 minutes depending on traffic. Remember you need to have tickets before you get on the bus.

Al Frescoe, North-Bound and other Swedish residents,

I posted this before, but it got lost at the bottom of a page. I would really appreciate some suggestions.

We are planning to be in Stockholm for 4-5 days. Could you suggest an itinerary? We would love to do some sightseeing outside the city, for example to Drottningholm Palace. Other day trips? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

marazul

Edited by marazul

Usually I stay away from recommending things to do in Stockholm. The reason is I have lived here most of my life and can probably not understand how it is to be a visitor for a few days and what would be the best things to do. It has been my thought that this kind of question is best answered by someone who has also been here on a short visit. But I will try to help if I can.

So a few questions: When will you be here, is it during the winter, spring or next summer? And is it in connection with a cruise that starts or ends in Stockholm?

I guess you already know about the Vasa museum and Skansen outdoor museum. Both are interesting during all seasons. If it is late spring or summer, and you will not pass through the archipelago on a cruise ship, then a day of archipelago sightseeing could be a nice idea. And as you mention there is Drottningholm Palace to visit. This can also be done by boat if the season and weather is right.

Since you will have time, a good idea for a lunch could be to visit the food market at Östermalmstorg.

Then it is more or less up to who you are, age, interests etc etc. Tell us a little more.

Thanks Northbound,

Herman's restaurant just happens to be where I got "lost" on my walk from the ship to the bus stop. When I did a "fly-by" this morning I saw where the stairs should be.

Sheal

One more question about the buses. If we want to take the bus from Slussen back to Stad 167, could we take any of these buses 409, 410,442, 448, 449?

I just want to be sure that I understand the bus routes & schedules. :)

Sheal

Al Frescoe, North-Bound and other Swedish residents,

I posted this before, but it got lost at the bottom of a page. I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks,

marazul

Well, since you have some time I would suggest a nice leisurely visit to Skansen, and definitely take a trip to Drottningholm. Heck, if you are here for a few days you could even go to the Ice Bar if you are into that sort of thing. A boat trip to Vaxholm or Sandhamn through the archipelago is an option.

What time of year are you going to be here?

Al

One more question about the buses. If we want to take the bus from Slussen back to Stad 167, could we take any of these buses 409, 410,442, 448, 449?

I just want to be sure that I understand the bus routes & schedules. :)

Sheal

Any of those buses make their first stop at Londonviadukten (Stads. 167).

Al

So a few questions: When will you be here, is it during the winter, spring or next summer? And is it in connection with a cruise that starts or ends in Stockholm?

I guess you already know about the Vasa museum and Skansen outdoor museum. Both are interesting during all seasons. If it is late spring or summer, and you will not pass through the archipelago on a cruise ship, then a day of archipelago sightseeing could be a nice idea. And as you mention there is Drottningholm Palace to visit. This can also be done by boat if the season and weather is right.

Since you will have time, a good idea for a lunch could be to visit the food market at Östermalmstorg.

Thanks north-bound and Al,

We'll be there next July. I plan to visit all the usual stops, Vasa, etc. We were hoping for a trip outside the city and had considered Drottningholm. I was wondering if there was some other interesting town, palace, etc. Al mentions a boat trip to Vaxholm or Sandhamm, so that is an option too. Any info as to transportation, other places to see, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

M

Edited by marazul

Thanks north-bound and Al,

We'll be there next July. I plan to visit all the usual stops, Vasa, etc. We were hoping for a trip outside the city and had considered Drottningholm. I was wondering if there was some other interesting town, palace, etc. Al mentions a boat trip to Vaxholm or Sandhamm, so that is an option too. Any info as to transportation, other places to see, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

M

Ah, July ... everything will be in full swing. You can take a boat to Sigtuna, a city that is actually older than Stockholm, and if you REALLY like old you can also take a short trip to Birka, which is the site of ongoing archeological work of the old viking city that was located there.

Or how about the latest attraction ... Skyview

http://www.globearenas.se/en/skyview.aspx

I haven't tried it yet but probably will at some point.

Have fun,

Al